no start

Rate this topic

Here is a head scratcher, have a truck 08 late build, that will not crank with the key (one touch start system). The truck has an aftermarket remote starter.

Able to crank if power directly to the starter solenoid control circuit brown and green wire by passenger side battery. Power to the starter relay at BJB from the ignition switch. Able to crank if jumper wire at the starter relay. Continuity from the PCM to the BJB starter relay.

Came to the conclusion the the PCM is unable to supply ground to the start/crank circuit.

Anyone have this occur in there shop /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Are there any DTC's in the system? Don't assume that the PCM CANT supply ground as there are conditions where the PCM will not allow the engine to crank. A network concern as mentioned will do it, excessive Exhaust temperatures or a faulty EGT sensor will cause this too...

I ran into this once where I had, and still have no clue as to what fixed it. After pushing the truck inside and performing self tests and electrical inspections I put a battery charger on it and went about my day. The truck started later. The other times I ran into a no/crank concern all were related to a faulty EGT sensor - EGT 1-3 seems to frequently fail. Here are some SSM's I found:

1574 - 2008-2009 SUPER-DUTY F250-550 6.4L DIESEL DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE U0073

SOME 2008-2009 F250-550 SUPER-DUTIES EQUIPPED WITH 6.4L DIESEL ENGINES MAY EXHIBIT AN INTERMITTENT NO CRANK CONCERN WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE(DTC) U0073- CONTROL MODULE COMMUNICATION BUS A OFF. NETWORK DTC'S ARE OFTEN A RESULT OF INTERMITTENT CONCERNS SUCH AS FAULTY WIRING, LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE OR MODULE REPROGRAMMING. REPLACING A MODULE TO RESOLVE A NETWORK DTC IS UNLIKELY TO RESOLVE THE CONCERN. CHECK FOR WIRE CHAFES OR PINCHED WIRES AND PERFORM A WIGGLE TEST ON CONNECTORS FOR THE FOLLOWING MODULES: RESTRAINT CONTROL, TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER. INSTALLATION OF AFTERMARKET THROTTLE CONTROLLERS AND BODY-BUILDER MODIFICATIONS MAY HAVE DAMAGED THE CAN NETWORK OR WIRING. CONFIRM THAT NO VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN TIED INTO THE CAN NETWORK. REFERENCE WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 418-00-1 FOR OTHER DTC DIAGNOSTIC ROUTINES.

1536 - 2008- 2009 SUPER-DUTY F250-550 - 6.4L DIESEL - U-CODE NETWORK TEST

SOME 2008-2009 SUPER-DUTY F250-550 EQUIPPED WITH A 6.4L DIESEL MAY HAVE CODES U0073, U0100, U0121, P1000, U0074, U0101, U0115, U0164, OR ALL CMDTCS WHEN FIRST PERFORMING A NETWORK TEST AFTER IDS HAS ESTABLISHED A NEW SESSION. THESE CODES CAN BE EXPECTED AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE CLEARED. IF YOU CLEAR THESE CODES AND ANY OF THEM RETURN THEN INSPECT FOR A HARD FAULT LOSS OF COMMUNICATION. THE CODES ARE CAUSED BY A STRATEGY WHEN THE PCM AND THE IDS INTERACT WHILE ESTABLISHING COMMUNICATION. IF THESE CODES DO NOT RETURN AFTER CLEARING NO REPAIR RECOMMENDED.

0947 - 2008 E-SERIES, SUPER DUTY OR RANGER - NO CRANK, CRANK/NO START WITH P1260 DTC NON-PATS AND PATS KEY EQUIPPED.

2008 E-SERIES, SUPER DUTY OR RANGER HAVE PATS SYSTEMS AND KEYS AS OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT. ALL 2008 E-SERIES, SUPER DUTY OR RANGER (WITH OR WITHOUT PATS KEYS) REQUIRE A PATS "HANDSHAKE"(KEY CYCLE) BETWEEN THE IC AND THE PCM TO ENABLE STARTING AND WILL SET A P1260 IN THE PCM IF THIS ENCRYPTED COMMUNICATION DOES NOT OCCUR. IF THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER (IC) OR THE PCM IS/OR HAS BEEN REPLACED (OR BOTH), THE PARAMETERS MUST BE RESET AFTER THE 10 MIN ACCESS HAS BEEN GRANTED. THIS PROCESS WILL INTRODUCE THESE MODULES TO EACH OTHER SO THEY CAN COMPLETE THE "HANDSHAKE" EACH TIME THE VEHICLE IS STARTED. IF THE PARAMETER RESET IS NOT COMPLETED THE VEHICLE WILL EXPERIENCE A PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM (PATS) NO-START WITH A P1260 DTC. THIS WILL OCCUR EVEN IF THE VEHICLE IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH PATS. REFER TO PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM PARAMETER RESET IN WSM 419-01-1.

Chris... this is part of why I get kicked off InFord (yes, dammit - again!!!!). We do not need to feel lost and alone... Go to the appropriate WSM and access section 303-06B. Bear in mind that the first thing the manual has us do is BASICS!!!!.

I'm sorry, I can't stress this enough Did we do a quick test? Did we have communication... did we check fuses... no, not just the fuses that are there.... did we check the wiring diagrams for the fuses that may be missing? If we have codes - are they pertinent? Is the truck in FMEM? If we clear codes, what do we see? As Keith mentioned (one of my daily battle cries) "Did we check OASIS?".

I'm not a great tech.... I'm probably not even a good tech.... My only claim to fame is that I do a pretty good job of navigating the manuals... and (even though I succumb to the odd bout of "flat rate reading") I can usually find my way from there.

BASICS!!!!

I'm not a great tech.... I'm probably not even a good tech.... My only claim to fame is that I do a pretty good job of navigating the manuals.

One of my favorite sayings is, "An expert is someone who does the basics better than anyone else."

Don't sell yourself short, Jim.

Merry Christmas!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I have a truck that is a crank-no start, no communication with ids, no power to fuse 71 bjb (i think that is the fuse), i applied power to the empty fuse holder next to is and will start and run, will not shut of with key, have to remove power to applied ckt. The relay that provides power to that ckt, with power applied to relay termanal 87 will not provide power (has an open)to that ckt. I removed the drivers fender well, stripped the insulation from the large gray/brown wire and applied voltage,vehicle started. there is a splice by the driver core support by T/O going to C131, tested and is ok. By the wiring diagrams I assume there is an open in the BJB, ordered and will install when comes in. What i am trying to say is check for B+ @ BJB f71 and see if there is B+ KOEO, if not apply B+ to fuse f71, if starts at least you can drive it in. I don"t know if im on the right track or if this helps but this is what helped me get the truck running. now the mistery, yea if i power up f21 and it starts and test for and open from between run relay spade 87 and large gray and brown and get OL on the meter, seems like an open-right,but when i test to 85 & 86 i get no B+ to either, but I have an open between 87 and gray/brown wire? Hope this helps