f-650/750's

Rate this topic

robp823

My shop manager was talking about starting to bring in these trucks for service and drivability. My question is dont some of these trucks have CAT and cummins engines in them?? Is there any info on PTS about diagnostics for these engines or are we gonna have to order some shop manuals from CAT and cummins for powertrain diag and service procedures?? Any help always appreciated

Uhhg! Unless you are serious and are going to dive into medium duty trucks completely you might want to reconsider. My dealer sells a handful of LCF/F-650/F-750 trucks a year. Many of these are either small businesses that run one truck or they supplement their light duty fleet with a heavier class truck.

The trucks are not difficult to work on in general. The LCF is easy to get a handle on for any Ford diesel tech but you will need MD Truck software and the communication adapter. The F-650/750 require more equipment, tools and training. CAT engines are popular but CAT is getting out of the on-highway truck engine business. They are also difficult to deal with. Until recently these trucks could be equipped with International engines and if you are equipped to handle an LCF you are good to go there. I rarely see one with a Cummins engine and I do not have any equipment or support for those engines. Lastly, Allison transmissions require your dealer to be Allison certified and all of their stuff if proprietary. They are also impossible to deal with unless you are an Allison dealer/service center.

My dealer gets by, I can determine if I can handle repairs other than the cab and chassis and many times defer the customer to CAT or Allison. Servicing them has never been an issue though.

Quote:
Uhhg! Unless you are serious and are going to dive into medium duty trucks completely you might want to reconsider.

+11111111111

Cat is stopping all on highway truck engines on 12/31/08.
There is no navistar engine available the last I knew.
Cummings is the only option, and there people are not "user friendly"

yea i do alot of lcf work i really dont like working on them, we do have the md truck software it helps. I did hear that about CAT not doing anymore on highway engines and if its gonna be hard to get info on these engines then screw it.

We are a medium truck dealership. I am "qualified" for Cummins (for some reason they like to use that word instead of "certified"). I was on my way to Cat certification, but the brakes were put on that with one or two courses to go when Cat made the announcement that they are leaving on-road. Cummins is very easy to deal with. The QSOL website (the Cummins version of INFORD or FMCDEALER) is easy to navigate, always up-to-date, and their troubleshooting trees are very simple and user friendly. You can even look up and order parts. You would need to purchase a diagnostic adaptor which is not too expensive, but the subscription to INSITE (the Cummins diagnostic tool) isn't cheap. Dealing with warranty isn't too painful either. Training consists of a "binder" full of CD-ROMS that they call the Cummins Virtual College. Very informative and well presented, and in class is held at a local trade school, which is also convenient.

We sub all our Cat work out to the local "CatHouse". They are a huge pain in the ass to deal with, and in normally turns out to be a pissing battle between Cat pointing a finger at OEM, and us pointing one back at Cat.

We have a local truck dealer that is Allison certified, which makes us lucky since they are usually quite willing to help out.

With CAT, Cummins, or Detroit/Allison you would need a large volume of repair work, customer pay or warranty for the cost of the gear, training, and subscriptions to pay back.

If your dealership is primarily a car and light truck shop you DON'T have the room for MD trucks.

With CAT, Cummins, or Detroit/Allison you would need a large volume of repair work, customer pay or warranty for the cost of the gear, training, and subscriptions to pay back.

If your dealership is primarily a car and light truck shop you DON'T have the room for MD trucks.

I agree completely but will add that if you DO have room, there is a lot of money to be made in MD trucks.

BTDT,GTTS.

RBSE/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

• 1 month later...