fuel cooler radiator bleed procedure

Rate this topic

Looking for a little help in reference to bleeding the fuel cooler radiator that was just replaced. I somewhat remember that the fuel radiator(the one that bolts to the CAC)has to be tilted flat,and I did try that,only problem is there's not enough room to lay it flat with all the extra goodies on the front of this truck.

Anybody got a quicker way? Posted Image

The service manual tells you to remove the front bumper and hang the cooler straight down.

I found this to be unnecessary if your shop Has a pressurized cooling system flusher like the BG cooling system flusher. I disconnect the coolant hose at the turbocharger actuator and cap the cooler nipple. I connect that hose to the Coolant flusher hose. Then I remove the coolant bleeder plug that is on top of the turbocharger actuator. Fill the flusher with 50/50 mix of coolant and fill the system until the coolant and air come out of the bleeder. There is another topic on this where I mentioned that I put together a firring and hose to put in the bleeder and collect the over flow neatly and to watch the air bubbles.

When I took the 6.4 diesel course, the instructor mentioned using the Radkitplus vacuum bleed tool(drop shipped from Ford for rad bleeding)to suck the air out of the fuel cooler system, and I found it to work well. Is that what you are calling an airlift? Posted Image

I would.... it will help the purge process.

At sea level, a "perfect" vacuum is in the neighbourhood of 30 inches Hg. Even getting this might not guarrantee complete filling of the cooler if left right side up.

Ive had success with the RADKIT plus without tilting the rad. Until it stops working i'm going with it. Much easier than removing a bumper and any accesories the lovely rail trucks would have on them.

• 1 month later...