Excessive Regen after recall

Rate this topic

Have a regular customer that has bought his vehicle here and returns for service on time. Last time it was here there was an issue with the aftermarket tank causing a restriction in the fuel supply lines and causing a stall. It also got the recalls for reprograming and radiator leak. Well now he is reporting excessive regen and a drop in fuel mileage. He drives about 150miles or more a day(tow truck) and it will regen about once every 75miles.

anyone else have this issue come up? It was fine before the recall now seems to have an issue.

He mentioned that this "happened" after the reprogram recall so I would assume the truck is displaying a regen message in the message center? It is possible this truck may have had this problem for some time and the owner may not have been aware of it... until now... that he has an instrument cluster that keeps him informed of regen events. There is an older post about frequent regens started by Greg Kneupper that has some useful information you might be able to use.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=15386#Post15386

That was my initial answer that he is now more aware of it happening. He insists its doing it more often and his fuel mileage has gone down since.

its a 550 btw

f 450's and 550's will regen more often than a 250 or 350. Quite a bit more. Our fse and I figured all this out the very hard and expensive way. Worked on a truck on and off over an 8 month period for excessive regen. It would regen about every 55 to 75 miles. We put everything on this truck and I mean everything. The fse made many calls to many people and no one could say for sure how often this truck should regen. No one could say if it was normal or not. After all was said and done I drove more and more f450's we decided that it was normal operation. I have had more with this complaint and I now just say it is normal. I also bet if you run codes on it that it will have a p1000 in memory now matter how far he drives it. That also appears to be normal.

Okay, that's fine if it is true and if those models are tuned differently than 250-350 trucks then that makes sense. But! Wouldn't you think SOME ONE at Ford would fucking know this and say something? Posted Image

Kind of reminds of the same scenario that almost played out when I had a no-crank no-start that needed EGT_13 replaced. NOWHERE in the PPT test, OASIS, T.S.B. or S.S.M. does it indicate that a problem with this circuit (amongst other issues) will cause a NO-CRANK/no-start.

You know Keith I would think so but that was not the case. Now I do not know high up these calls went but no one could tell us for sure yes or no on much. But the more I thought about it the more sense it made that it was normal. At 70 mph a 450 turns much more rpm. Therefore it burns more fuel which in turn plugs the dpf faster. Therefore it goes into regen much more. This is due to the gear ratio obviously. I found it strange that no one noticed this until we sunk a bunch of parts and labor into this truck. I would also like to let you know that this truck at first did have an actual driveability complaint originally along with the excessive regen complaint. I felt that the bad turbo seals would fix the whole problem but the regen problem never went away of course.

Interesting how we pick up on this stuff isn't it? Look at it this way, you were involved with some in field testing and learned something... er, or at least came to a conclusion.

Case and point:

Kind of reminds of the same scenario that almost played out when I had a no-crank no-start that needed EGT_13 replaced. NOWHERE in the PPT test, OASIS, T.S.B. or S.S.M. does it indicate that a problem with this circuit (amongst other issues) will cause a NO-CRANK/no-start.

Having run into some of these myself I was able to determine that if the sensor reads too high, whether it be because the EGT's were actually excessive or the sensor had failed the engine would shut down. I think I have seen only one where the sensor was flat out bad and the engine would not start. Three others did but only after they had time to cool back down. Knowing this strategy helped understand what was going on... and reading post by you fine people! Posted Image

I agree keith it would be nice if ford would give us some insite on this and maybe something in print so we can show customers. This is a very good customer of ours and I want to take care of him. I think if we had something to show him explaining more regen cycles on a 550 he would understand. however he is having a hard time with it since after we did a reprogram it started regening more.

Same thing here. We have a customer that says his fuel ecomomy has dropped since the recall and his perception is that it is going through regen more since the reprogram.

+1. Also complains about less power when pulling his trailer. I checked for codes, none, performed all tests I could think of using IDS except fuel economy test, checked to see if any new updates, none there, road tested OK. Posted Image

• 3 months later...

We have had 2 F350s in the last week with this complaint that the truck goes into regen more often after the recalls were performed. No dtcs, everything looks good on both trucks. Customers do not idle excessively and have maintained them properly. They also only tow occasionally. Service manager drove one extensively today and it went into regen after about 60 miles of driving. Regen lasted 21 minutes at 70 mph cruising. Compared to other trucks I have seen this seems about right--maybe it is just a customer perception issue, but we have heard this complaint many times since the recalls came out.

Before the owner never really seen the regen actually happening. Since the recall now they notice it because of the message display. I have only ran into one truck that was actually going into regen too much.