08 6.4 engine noise

Rate this topic

Had a flatbed tow truck towed in Late Friday afternoon. (funny sight!) Anyways, Cust was driving along, Oil light came on then bang. Something let go. I cranked it over, It does start but oil light is on and runs very rough. Sounds like something in the lower end trying to come out the side of the block. My question is if I know this engine is junk, For warrenty purposes, Should I still pull the engine and tear it down to find the problem? We are a level one dealer so we dont need pre appoval for anything. Just curious, thanks guys.

I would ship it to another dealer so you don't screw up your level 1 status. Posted Image

isnt that the truth!! the constant battle of trying to fix a customers vehicle correctly and keep ford warrenty off your ass.

your going to need to tear the heads off that thing to find the root failure and perform a cost cap before you can get a piror approval for an engine.

Originally Posted By: flmmaz
I would ship it to another dealer so you don't screw up your level 1 status. Posted Image

isnt that the truth!! the constant battle of trying to fix a customers vehicle correctly and keep ford warrenty off your ass.

your going to need to tear the heads off that thing to find the root failure and perform a cost cap before you can get a piror approval for an engine.

...and do you actually get PAID for that time? What about the time YOUR bay is disabled with the cab up in the air? Or what about the time it takes you to drop the cab and push the damn thing outside while you're waiting for authorization? Sorry for the rant and hijack.

Oil black as can be but full. Pulled oil filter, showed service manager, told me to out it out for now. completly plugged up with sludge. we changed the oil at 4950 miles last feb for it first free oil change. its got 56000 on it now, cust doesnt have any proof its been change since. Died while hauling two cars. engine overspeed code and freeze frame speed at 82 mph. Poor 6.4.....it tried to keep going but finally gave up. Posted Image I'll keep ya posted....

Got one here customer bought and 08 f350 in september last year in edmonton. brought it here no coolant in degas bottle was overheating and knocking like a bugger. checked oil it looked like tar and as soon as you filled coolant up the truck smoked white like there was no tommorow. dropped oil and got about 9 litres of black goo out of crank case. truck has 96000 km on it and not one oil change done. customers mentality was it was a lease ford should pay for the oil changes. needs an engine warranty denied. gotta love the smarts of some people.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a update for you guys...We were closed Mon, Tues and Wendsday due to no power. Sent out a oil sample per Ford to some lab in Ohio. Whatever the results were Ford said no warranty for this guy. Cust is coming to tow it away...Bye bye loser Posted Image

Where did the oil analysis get sent to? Did you get it returned directly to you? I did the same and posted it here - I was sure the vehicle was not maintained but the test results indicated the possibility of a failed EGR cooler. Since that customer would not sign for tear down the truck was towed out to another dealer. I have no idea what the final diagnosis was.

Finally a update for you guys...We were closed Mon, Tues and Wendsday due to no power. Sent out a oil sample per Ford to some lab in Ohio. Whatever the results were Ford said no warranty for this guy. Cust is coming to tow it away...Bye bye loser Posted Image

....and who paid you for the time you got into this mess?

We got the results emailed to us and Ford. The test showed "critical" levels of iron, lead, copper, aluminum, sodium, potassium and zinc. We are trying to get the cust to pay what I have into it. He doesnt even want the truck back, He said "let em repo that piece of shit" Its his own fault! Oh well, I'm sure all you guys have one or two of those customers out there. The lab's website is... www.theoillab.com