Squeezing time from a bedplate reseal?

Rate this topic

Aaron

Here's what I've got so far:

6007D - OIL LEAK DIAG .4

6007A - R&R ENGINE ASSY 12.0

6007A38 - BEDPLATE SEAL TO BLOCK 2.9

6007A39 - REAR MAIN SEAL (OUT OF VEHICLE) .5

Usually I'm pretty handy at beating up on the SLTS, but this one kind of has me at a loss.

I'm pulling the cab and then schooling the motor out that way. Any other opcodes that I can claim that would be especially helpful with getting some time outta this pile of shit?

Can I claim 6700A for 1.9 to replace the front crank seal?

Anything else guys? Thanks!

-Aaron

I replace the intake gaskets and HP oil pump cover gasket too in addition to front cover, front crank seal, rear main, rear cover. I usally end up getting 19-20hrs. We sent out our warranty tickets to WPI.

Seal - Crankshaft Front (6700) - Replace 1.9

"This labor op requires that the repairing technician be certified in Training Specialty Area 51 or 52

When claiming 6700A: Do not use with; 6312A, 6316A, 6600A, 6020A "

Looks like you may actually be able to use this one Aaron, good catch. It doesn't appear to conflict with any other ops, and you definately need to replace it as part of the job. I always assumed it was included in the bedplate reseal but maybe not? If it did, you'd think the warranty nazis would have listed the exclusion since they always seem really thorough about that kind of thing. I think it's worth a try... worst thing they can do is edit the claim right?

I like the way you think Posted Image

It's consistent with the SSCC Diagnostic method. What good is a bedplate reseal without determining the "root cause" anyway?

So far we have:

6007D - OIL LEAK DIAG .5

6005F9 – CRANKCASE PRESSURE TEST .1

6600B – OIL PRESSURE TEST .3

6007AZW – CLEAN CAC TUBES .1

6700A - Seal Crankshaft Front (6700) - Replace 1.9

TOTAL= 18.3

Sorry for the highjack Aaron.Maybe you guys can help me out with this one. I have an '05 F-250 here written up as "report on hard-start/no-start cold - runs poorly, white smoke from tailpipe and coolant stains on rad cap". This truck needed a FICM, the "trifecta" and coolant degas bottle and cap to fix. Here's what I have into it so far:

6005E 0.6

6005E2 0.1

6005E3 0.1

6005E4 0.1

6005E45 0.3

12650D67 0.7

12650D84 0.5

081103A 2.3

081103B 6.5

081103C 0.5

081103E 14.1

I'm not sure how much to pay myself for MT082603. Is there anything I'm missing?

I think intake and HPOP and both front and rear covers is included in the bedplate reseal, isn't it?

What's WPI?

I always thought so. I just write down everything I do...

I'm not sure how much to pay myself for MT082603. Is there anything I'm missing?

I wouldn't push too hard on that one. You've already got the FICM removed for the head gasket replacement. You've also got FICM diagnostic ops on the same line as a TSB that includes diag so Ford will already frown on it. I would highly recommend having a second line added to the RO for the FICM to avoid confusion. As far as time, probably just a half hour to cover the programming and pray it goes through on the first try at that.

On Edit, I'd probably drop the 6005E ops all together and claim 1.5 - 2.0 total on a seperate FICM line, that will be your best chance to get it paid without issues.

Originally Posted By: Aaron
I think intake and HPOP and both front and rear covers is included in the bedplate reseal, isn't it?

What's WPI?

I always thought so. I just write down everything I do...

Oh WPI. Its a company that does our warranty tickets. I really have no complaints about them. I have worked in shops that have a warranty clerk, or the service manager, director is doing the warranty tickets.

Mike- Was there combustion gases and fuel in the coolant from the blown headgasket?

Maybe requiring the use of TSB 08-23-1? Posted Image

How much punch time do you have in it so far?

Mike- Was there combustion gases and fuel in the coolant from the blown headgasket?

Maybe requiring the use of TSB 08-23-1? Posted Image

How much punch time do you have in it so far?

I'm waiting to discuss this with our warranty clerk to see how much I can squeeze out of this one. Whatever it is, there sure as hell isn't going to be any gain time. I have about 34 hours punched into it. Bear in mind, this truck is used as a salter, making EVERYTHING on the outside covered with hardened CRUD, not to mention lines that won't come loose, and "added shit" like additional wiring to power up the plow and the salter. There was no fuel or oil contamination on this truck. Just a VERY "swollen" degas bottle that vented a lot under load. Also "topped up" with green coolant. Oil cooler was replaced due to Ford's "pressure differential" guideline. The EGR cooler, well, I replaced that too while having it all apart, considering the fact it's original (orange hose) and the fact that we all know that oil cooler failures ARE the cause of EGR cooler failures. I ain't ripping into this one again.

• 2 months later...

I like the way you think Posted Image

It's consistent with the SSCC Diagnostic method. What good is a bedplate reseal without determining the "root cause" anyway?

So far we have:

6007D - OIL LEAK DIAG .5

6005F9 – CRANKCASE PRESSURE TEST .1

6600B – OIL PRESSURE TEST .3

6007AZW – CLEAN CAC TUBES .1

6700A - Seal Crankshaft Front (6700) - Replace 1.9

TOTAL= 18.3

I was just thinking about this, do you think EGR Cooler R&I would fly in this?

EGR Cooler Assembly (9F464/9P456) - Remove and Install or Replace

This labor op requires that the repairing technician be certified in Training Specialty Area 52 or 51.

When claiming 9456A*: Do not use with; 6007A1*, 9424A, 9424AZN, 9424A1, 6642A, 10346A*

When claiming 9456A*: Do not use with; 8600A* For vehicles equipped with; 6.0L DIT.

When claiming 9456A*: Do not use with; 8620F* For vehicles equipped with; 6.0L DIT.

When claiming 9456A: Do not use with; 9438A For vehicles equipped with; 6.0L DIT.

When claiming 9456A: Do not use with; 8005A For vehicles equipped with; 6.0L DIT.

When claiming 9456A: Do not use with; 8146A For vehicles equipped with; 6.0L DIT.

When claiming 9456A*: Do not use with; 6646A* For vehicles equipped with; 6.0L DIT..

* Overlap includes ALL labor operation category codes such as Left, Right, Both, One, All, Upper, Lower, High, Low, etc.

6.0L DIT 9456A 5.0

As you can see it doesn't overlap with any of the ops for a bedplate reseal. What do you guys think?

Almost worth a try - however, Front Crank seal cannot be claimed anymore with the bedplate reseal, I just did one last week and noticed this.

The day that a tech can spend time fixing a vehicle instead of their own time trying to figure out how they will get paid for it will be a beautiful, yet non-existent, day.

I agree,ABSO-F#*KING-LUTELY! Posted Image

The service manager next door at the dodge dealership does our flagging on our warranty tickets,he's a great guy but sometimes I wanna strangle him after seeing the times I get on some involved warranty repairs...and once I made the mistake of putting labor ops on the front of the RO,I got a memo for that one,so now I'll put ops on a post-it note if I think I'm gonna lose my ass...it's a constant struggle,but what can you do about it?

Almost worth a try - however, Front Crank seal cannot be claimed anymore with the bedplate reseal, I just did one last week and noticed this.

ohh damn. I just flagged one with the front seal op included. We'll see how it turns out. Thats why I revived this topic.

I never even pull the turbo to do a bedplate reseal! yank the front end apart, jack the front of the body up high enough to put in a 4x4 between the frame and body on both sides, drop the oil pan off and yank the motor out the front....done in 12 hours tops! I didn't think you could claim the rear main seal as it is collateral damage in removing the rear cover(which is necessary to do the bedplate) I always get around 16 hours for this....i'll have to check into some of these labor ops you are claiming....we have to be careful right now as we are in level 2 audit thanks to a couple guys that worked here before i started in jan.

Got me a bit interested so I thought I'd do some checking.

Bumper-Front (17757) - Remove and Install Replace 17757A 1.2

(According to WS Manual this is a required step(step 10))

And it definitely looks like the rear main seal is a legitimate claim. But it specifically says not to use the front main seal op with 6007a38.