Torque Multiplier

Rate this topic

Split the cost of one with the other diesel tech here, did headgaskets on a 6.0 yesterday, all I can say about that tool....Should of bought it 3 years ago! What a great investment.

How do you get accurate torque with that doing the 90 degres three times???

perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but 90 degrees is 90 degrees. I have never attempted to torque them other than the first 2 initial settings. It is all I use on the 6.0L and it is a godsend

I was considering getting one(torque multiplier) but cost was prohibitive. Sharing with another tech would help out though. I currently use a 3/4" ratchet that is 40 inches long assembled. It comes apart in 3 sections for storage. I does work well, but still could be improved upon.

I never thought about using it for cranking the headbolts 90 degrees 3 times. It just seems like you would be turning it forever. You never knopw unless you try. Maybe I'll try it next time.

From what I understand the studs don't have to be that tight that you would need a torque multiplier.

I torque the bolts 65 then 85 with a normal torque wrench, Mark them at 12 o clock. It's a 4 to 1 multiplier. So just to get the 90 degree turn I have to do one full turn with the breaker bar, and repeat it 2 more times in the torque procedure. More to turn, But much easier. Rob... you mentioned accurate torque? 90 degrees is 90 degrees how ever you look at it.

Rotunda has also got the same multiplier for about $5 more... This is the one I use, and it gets passed around the shop a bit. I like it.

The last time it was used was when another technician was installing fuel pumps in a freestyle - the locking ring went off and on like butter...