08 f-450 low compresion

Rate this topic

Got an 08 f-450 with low compression on cylinder 8 and SFT +18 on cylinder 6. So i tear the head off and cylinder 8 the cross hatch is gone and the walls arent to bad and there is almost like a star pattern burnt into the piston.What causes this overfueling??Someone a while back said that running a programmer will do that but it doesnt have this on any other pistons on the bank. As for SFT +18 on cylinder 6 i think that this was just a bad injector because everything looks fine there.Also when i turned the corrective fuel strategy off it was still firing but barely.

Did you actually run a manual compression test? I got sucker punched by using the IDS relative compression test. What was your fuel trim for cylinder #8? According to Ford anything over +10% indicates a problem with the cylinder/injector. As for the star pattern it is normal to see that to some degree and it will vary from engine to engine. If you have one cylinder that has a star pattern with a distinctly different appearance I would think that is an indication of an injector problem. Remember, we have an active FSA on injectors. Is this truck involved?

No, truck is not involved with FSA.As for compression test i dont trust relative compression on these as far as i can throw the IDS.So i triple checked it and kept getting the same reading for cylinder 8, which was 6%.So i did a manual compression test with all cylinders reading 370-380 psi except for cylinder 8. Cylinder 8 read only 320 psi and i know that anything 25 psi difference indicates a problem, also watching valve train while cranking couldnt see any evident problem so it was time for head to come off.

I've found that the relative compression test is JUNK on the 6.4. I had one with a bent connecting rod on cyl. 8, Power balance showed cylinder 8 around -40, relative compression showed 0% varriance on all cylinders except #5 was 2% low. manual compression on the other hand showed around 350-360 psi on all cylinders except cylinder 8 was 250 psi. How can relative compression possibly show it 0% different when in reality it is like 26% different?!?! CAN WE SAY WORTHLESS TIMEWASTING TEST?!?!?!?!

Don't get me wrong, IDS ROCKS.

I think it's, in my case, more an issue of the computer it's being run on, rather than the software/hardware. Now that they have the cables sorted out.

• 3 weeks later...

Well when i pulled the piston out of cylinder 8 for this thing i found that the intermediate ring was stuck in the ring groove.Both other rings when pulling the piston out immediately uncompressed.Heavy soot build up too on piston.