torqshift failure

Rate this topic

Is anyone else seeing problems with later model torqshift spiting out snap ring at reverse planetary.Got one today and after teardown found snap ring at reverse planetary spit out.Had a hole in case and 2 stress cracks.Seems like we have seen this before on earlier models (04b24 recall).

You guys were right.Service writer wrote ticket up wrong.Rechecked and found out this was an 05 model 9/2004 build date.Customer had an aftermarket extended warranty that we had never heard of before.My first thoughts after I saw the coverage details were wrong.They approved a Ford reman tranny after we faxed up service records to them.Didn't even send out an inspector.Matter of fact they said we miscalculated the labor and added a 1/2 hr.

I've seen a tech change a torqshift for a broken SGNL wire to the PCM. It was customer pay too. He went on to stab me in the back after i called him out on a repair. He also "replaces" a lot of branch tubes on 6.0 vans. I wonder why he booked so much and didn't work as hard as he booked Posted Image

He also "replaces" a lot of branch tubes on 6.0 vans. I wonder why he booked so much and didn't work as hard as he booked Posted Image

And then we wonder why FoMoCo puts us under a lot of scrutiny for high dollar 6.0L repairs. I guess we can thank guys like this for the BS we now have to go through.

I have replaced one... after STC replacement and before installing the cover, a retest showed a damaged solder joint at the left side of the STC block. IIRC, the rear cover on this unit was cracked in the event.

This is NOT a pleasant task.

If you bend a branch tube back - it doesn't take much to check the solder joints...

I am not replying to anyone in particular... but read and think carefully.

What happens if you say you replaced a branch tube and it turns out that you are a lying son of a bitch who didn't replace a branch tube? "well - it was warranty....". Does that mean fucking one guy over is different from fucking another guy over?

Let's say we see someone commit fruad. If we remain silent, we are aiding and abetting... we are committing fraud right along with guy number one... If we see someone inan adjacent bay commit fraud and don't say anything, there's a chance our employer can be charged with fraud... and we will be painted with the same brush.... "Oh, yeah... aren't you one of the lying bastards?".

The world is in a great deal of trouble because you cannot trust the people you are dealing with. What the fuck is that?

And we are going to sit back and allow this shit to happen around us?

Muck Fe!!!!

In the news lately.... duck hunters in western Canada are gonna get fucked over on account of a video they posted on you tube... I hope they get their hides hung on ths shed and tanned.

A father video tapes his 7 year old driving a car.... hang that man out to dry....

A mother drags her kid through a store by the "leash"... she might be the sanest one amongst us all.

But it still looks like the lunatics are running the asylum....

And we are discussing THEFT and FRAUD as a means of income????

David.... I think you'll find that the better a tech is, he becomes less comfortable with his abilities. Other techs struggle with a diagnosis but this man stands apart... his diagnosis comes quite easy for him.... comparatively speaking, anyway. And this generates a dilemma regarding confidence. "If that guy is having trouble, what am I missing???".

Anyway, I think the thrust was in regards to the guy that Tony saw....

Sidebar... where I came from.... it would have been about 1973ish... I was young, impetuous, newly married and engrossed in recreational pharmacology... the engine was a 390 4V in a M250 (M200? M20? it was a fucking long time ago). Chasing an engine noise, I quoted that I did an R&R on the fuel pump to check for play in the arm/spring... Somebody was sharp enough to call "bullshit". Along about then, I decided that if I told the truth, I would never have to try and remember anything...

That day, I realized that I had no integrity... without honesty, I was nothing... I have spent the rest of my life trying to regain what I lost on that day.

There's a little more than you needed to know... all of us have feet made of clay.

I dont think there's anyone in here that hasn't claimed labor op or two that they haven't done, but when it comes down to something like parts, like a branch tube...or something else like that just to out and out LIE CHEAT AND STEAL....

What about the next guy down the line? What if he gets it and by that time the branch tube IS fucked - how's that look on the original repairing technician?

What happens if you "REPLACE" a branch tube during your course of the STC repair, and FoMoCo wants the old one back?

The "tech" at my old dealer had a 5 gallon bucket of used diesel oil at his house and let the new ones(there was more then one) soak in the bucket to get that used look. Then bent them. But, they NEVER called them back.

Do you know how pissed I got after a week went by and I had to work on his comebacks, seeing the OASIS sheet stating "branch tube replaced" and i was working on the exact van he had a week ago. But I got bad-mouthed about and the manager only believed him. I kept my mouth shut and took care of the customer.

I had this problem today on a head gasket job. 2007 f-350. Had egr cooler and oil cooler done at another dealer, 2000 km ago. They claimed tsb ops, including recondition turbo. I end up with it, 6l low on coolant, venting out rad cap etc..... So on my test drive i notice a half hour turbo lag, followed by a 35psi over boost, ( and rad cap squealing on every acceleration) any ways, i pulled appart the turbo and found the unison ring has become part of the chra from rust buildup, and the unison ring has a monstorus gouge dug in it from the cam trying so hard to move it. I wonder what ford will say when they get this chra back that was "cleaned" 2000kms ago?

So on my test drive i notice a half hour turbo lag

ROFL Posted Image

But anyway - they probably won't do jack shit, as usual. Or they'll charge back the claim to your dealership. Posted Image

You KNOW it's always the last guy who touched it's fault...

Originally Posted By: Aaron
What happens if you "REPLACE" a branch tube during your course of the STC repair, and FoMoCo wants the old one back?

The "tech" at my old dealer had a 5 gallon bucket of used diesel oil at his house and let the new ones(there was more then one) soak in the bucket to get that used look. Then bent them. But, they NEVER called them back.

Do you know how pissed I got after a week went by and I had to work on his comebacks, seeing the OASIS sheet stating "branch tube replaced" and i was working on the exact van he had a week ago. But I got bad-mouthed about and the manager only believed him. I kept my mouth shut and took care of the customer.

That manager should be fired. If he does not know what is going on in his shop, then he is not doing his job. How can he miss a 15-20hr job going on?

I worked at dealer that made up $5k worth of bogus warranty claims a month. They would take all the parts that were supposed to be tossed and make new claims on new VIN's. You wouldn't believe how many rear seals and front cover gaskets we did. Like they say, what goes around comes around. Hope they get it good.

FWIW - on a front cover/rear seal job....EVERY ONE I have done, they have wanted pieces back. Seal, gasket, whatever.

Bedplates, they almost always want the front crank seal and rear crank seal back.

In my experience, anyhow. That dealer you were at coulda got hung out to dry on that one!