Always the last guys to know....

Rate this topic

So I do an EGR valve in a 6.0 the other day, P0404. Guy told me he got into a run of shitty fuel, so fine, that's likely the cause, there's a lot of soft carbon. Told him to try it out and let me know, put the little EGR baffle kit in, good to go, right?

WRONG.

Road test the truck. Do the EGR test. Fails.

Strange.

Do it again. Fails.

Pull valve out, and can visibly see the NEW valve moving open and shut during the test. Still fails.

Fuck it.

Call the hotline. (THIS IS NOT A SHOT AT THE HOTLINE, IT IS VALUABLE ADVICE - HOWEVER IT IS INFO THAT SHOULD BE OUT THERE.)

Here is the response:

Tech's question:

EGR valve failed position test on original diag. Replaced valve flashed modules to latest levels and installed baffle. Road tested truck and re-tested. New EGR valve fails EGRVP test. Please advise. It is slow to ramp up. Seeking diagnostic direction.

Hotline response:

Aaron,

The EGR valve has been changed so the operating ranges are a little different than the old valve. This can cause the EGR test to fail. If the vehicle has no drivability concerns, recommend to release the vehicle and monitor oasis for updates.

WHY IS THIS NOT A FUCKING SSM OR TSB OR BROADCAST MESSAGE!

I know that a while back there was a bad batch of bad egr valves fresh out of the box. I wonder if you possibly got one. I think that there may still be a few of them out there. I had an econoline that I put 5 valves in before a guy at ford just sent me one off of his desk. I still occasionaly will get one that will not pass the test brand new. I would try another one and see what it does.

There was a message awhile back about Silver and Purple paint dots on the valves, and a certain packaging date - I have been getting lots of valves with only one paint dot, but the right build date, which is unusual, but they are passing.

There was a message awhile back about Silver and Purple paint dots on the valves, and a certain packaging date - I have been getting lots of valves with only one paint dot, but the right build date, which is unusual, but they are passing.

DITTO!

I guess I should have phrased that differently - they WERE passing...now that they are "redesigned" again, and failing the test, but apparently ok. Posted Image

I am doing the same thing now with egr valves, i think that there might be a bad batch aswell, waiting to see what hotline tells me to do, i also noticed that if i put the old egr valve in and retest it ( old egr valve cold to touch ) that it will pass. New egr valve ( hot ) fails, Took the new egr valve and ran cold water over it and retested it now it will pass the koeo part of egr test... this is driving me and the customer crazy. The customer is complaining about a cel only, no driveabilty concerns. Glad i am not the only one with the issue with the new valve.......

Update here is what hotline said....

Sam, there are reports of possible quality issues with replacement EGR valves. Install another valve and if the DTC resets, contact the Hotline by phone and speak to an engineer about this concern.

Im suprised someone does't start re-building them. There's gotta be plenty of cores around.

Bite your tongue, man. Naxt Ford will want us to start rebuilding them, like the oil coolers and turbos that used to be replaced as assemblies. Posted Image

Wait till we get to remanufacture FICMs and change the DC-DC inverter inside. That'll be special.

Now we can rebuild the engine, and ALL THE MANAGEMENT COMPONENTS, TOO!

Posted Image