Recently discovered....

Rate this topic

Have you guys noticed lately that ids stores you old sessions even if you select delete when closing? If you plug into the same truck a few weeks later it pops up and asks if you would like to restore the old session or start a new one?

It comes in handy when your PCM blanks out on you for no apparent reason. When attempting to communicate it will look for previous sessions and pull PCM data from the last session so you don't have to get tear tag or as-built data.

Like programming with as-built data is difficult?

It was on Saturday!! Had a 2010 F-150 lot truck that we had stolen the cluster out of to fix a sold unit, Foreman had forgotten to open a session on the donor truck, so I had to get as-built data to program it....everytime it tried to download it from the network I got an error message - data corrupt. Tried to go into oasis and get it manually and there was only as-built data for the PCM....Monday morning everything worked just fine....THANKS A LOT Posted Image

• 9 months later...

Can delete the ones you've completed or deleted too, do a windows search for part of the VIN, think it's the last 6 or so and it will bring up the log files in a temp folder somewhere. Delete 'em, and good to go.

Dont ask why I know how to do this.

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
And you are suggesting? Posted Image

When I first "penned" the question about the size of ones bollocks, I imagined it would remain a rhetorical question.... but, since you have breached that idea... let's explore a couple of ideas...

First, I'm sure you will agree that our trade is comprised of those that have a fierce pride in what they do... when we close the hood, it is almost as if the vehicle were, once again, brand spanking new.... no "African American temporary repairs" (Apparently, only Dr Dre will be rewarded for using the "N" bomb... the rest of us will be drawn and quartered).

It is also comprised of those practicing a version of the worlds oldest profession... "Hey, sailor... wanna get lucky? I'll do ANYTHING for a buck...".

And the hordes trapped between the devil and the deep blue sea...

There are a LOT of techs (I can feel it in my heart) that would dearly love to look a customer in the eye and say that their chosen course of action isn't "right"... but they can't because the guy down the street is hungry enough to do anything for a buck.... Right is good... cheap is still going to win.

Anyway...

this is our industry too.. not just ATRA... not just NADA... not just - shit... there's too many groups to name.. all of them special interest and none of them are US.

(FWIW, I used two entities off the top of my head 'just because'... ATRA is Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Assoc. .... NADA is Northern Alberta Dealers Assoc... But the industry is peppered with these special interest groups. What is so FUCKING AMAZING is that none of them represent me and you....).

None of them address doing it "right" versus doing it "wrong"...

So... with this idea in mind...

What about a lobby group? Educate the politicians about those that willfully defeat and delete emissions devices.... Educate the public... their efforts are being squandered by those seeking personal benefit. Do the politicians even embrace or acknowledge emissions 'modifications' as a concern?

A lobby group that would seek the ability deny anyone contravening either legisaltion or accepted indusry practice the ability to continue the practice? This is going to be a killer project... in more ways that one....

This is to broad a subject to broach in one little message... but there are right ways to do things... "accepted" ways to do things.... wrong ways to do things and even some wrong things have become "acceptable" simply because we have the 'ability' to do them...

I am ostracized... abused.... discounted... and insulted because of my beliefs on many venues.... Gee... life sucks...

Until we grab the bull by the horns.... until we force OUR branch of the industry into some form of professionalism.. we will forever be looking over our shoulder... we will forever compromise our RETAIL work... because the "hooker" down the street will steal our work if we don't play HIS game...

Look around... load range D tires on a Super Duty? Inappropriate tire repairs and valve stems? What else are we missing and how does it affect your safety, the safety of your customers or the safety of your loved ones? Rushing a job so hard that we miss cracked and broken frames and X-members... missing fasteners...

The public is looking to us for guidance (once they can get past what we allow charlatans and thieves to plant in their heads) in logical auto repair and maintenance... in reducing their cost per mile through proper maintenance and timely repairs... meanwhile, we are too fucking busy using both hands to cover our asses from the onslaught of the scam artists we should be putting out of business...

There are allot of major problems with your whole theory Jim. I admire this theory, but reality is that it will never ever happen. Not in my life anyway. You were saying that we all need to get the ball to pill this off. The fact is that there are more technicians out there tan you may think that do have the balls to pull this off and tried very hard to do it. But the one major road block or brick wall that everyone hits is the "Sales Oriented" Management who have been raised by nothing more than "Salesman". I have worked at a few different dealerships over the years and I have come to the conclusion that in the end they are all the same. They are all ruled by a dictator with leaders under his or her wing that veto every decision you will ever make in your career as a "Professional Technician". I can't count how many times in my career I have tried to have warranty denied on trucks or cars that just plain didn't deserve it. I can't how how many times in my career that I have seen other technicians "try" to do the same only to be shot down and shit upon and looked at as whining sniveling little bastards that don't know jack shit.

How many times have any of you heard from Management or the Dealer Principal themselves saying that: "This guy is a damned good customer and buys allot of trucks". Or He's a good customer and always brings it back to us for all his repairs. He brings it to us because Management will turn a blind eye and they are the ones in this industry who are truly to blame for not having the balls! You can have all the balls you want, but if the hand that feeds your mouth says to shut up if you want a paycheck, you will damned well do so. That customers money is worth way more than your "Professional" opinion.

I walk into dealerships these days only to see technicians ripping out DPF's, EGR coolers, air breathers etc, and installing all the delete devices all because Management sees this as an acceptable income or practice. Until you change the way the big Dogs at the top of the food chain think, you will always be a slave to their ways of thinking in this industry. To make this industry change, you don't need to convince technician, you change the impossible and change the way Management thinks. I could go on and on about this, But I am too damned busy and need to get back to work.

Once again Jim, I admire that theory, but you need to quit looking at changing the issues on the shop floor and look at hoe it would ever be possible to change the corruption at the top in the Dictatorships. After all, what ever they say, you will do! Whether you like it or not!