fuel leak on 7.3 dripping from bellhousing?

Rate this topic

I have seen the water drain valves leak, the filter cap orings leak, as well as the heater/wif sensor leak. Also seen the fuel line that goes to rear of rh cylinder head chafe and leak. These are all areas to inspect. Even had one one time where the water seperator had holes in it from corrosion.

Good ideas Greg... Speaking of the fuel sensors I have seen quite a few fuel filter restriction <pressure switches> leak profusely but I think that sensor was deleted after 2007 model year engines.

I would inspect all fuel system components in the engine valley closely with the engine running. I would suspect a fuel line o-ring has failed, most likely the steel line going from the filter housing to the back of the right cylinder head. A leak in the valley will exit the drain hole in the back of the engine valley and appear to come from the bell housing as will a leak at the rear of the right head.

The o-rings are serviceable and if you determine that this is the cause of your leak get the o-ring kit and replace ALL of the o-rings at the same time.

Another possible cause is the fuel water drain... but for that to cause a leak at the back of the engine the drain tube connected to the valve would have to be disconnected. It does happen and the valves do leak.

...yes, I have seen this before!

Todd:

Welcome to the DTS Forum! You'll find a lot of knowledgeable help here without corporate bias.

All items mentioned above are common. There's a drain port in the valley, in the back of the block that allows any leakage in the valley to drain from the bellhousing area mimicking a rear main seal. I suggest you look closer at the valley area at all areas mentioned for leaks. There's nothing inside the bellhousing that can leak fuel by itself, it has to come from outside of the bellhousing. If the valley is bone dry, check the fuel line/check valve at the rear of the right head like Greg mentioned, it could be running down the exterior of the bell and look like a rear main. (The one feeding the left head is at the front of the left head). I'd probably also check the oil for level and contamination, in case it's 10 qts overfull with fuel.

PS Rotted filter housing castings are a regional thing- we hardly ever see them in the north, but when I do classes in FL the guys say they sell many of them......

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Todd:

Welcome to the DTS Forum!

PS Rotted filter housing castings are a regional thing- we hardly ever see them in the north, but when I do classes in FL the guys say they sell many of them......

Posted Image

+1 on both Welcome and definitely check your F/F housing. also check all attaching hoses to the housing and check to see if the filter cap seal may be leaking. Here in the rust belt of Michigan we have also seen the steel supply lines rot out and leak.

Just to add to the already excellent ideas, pop the fuel filter cap off and pour an once of leak detector dye in, put the cap back on and run it. Keep your black lite handy cause the leak will show up immediately. There will be no doubt as to where the leak is. The dye never lies. Works good for power steering leaks also, due to the nature of the pressurized fluid.

Another possible cause is the fuel water drain... but for that to cause a leak at the back of the engine the drain tube connected to the valve would have to be disconnected. It does happen and the valves do leak.

...yes, I have seen this before!

+1

I have seen this (with the drain tube disconnected) more than once! Pouring from bellhousing as you described it.

I just wanted to say hanks to everyone that replied. great job guys! Thank for providing us with such as awesome data base. This was my first post and I am very excited about my next already!

What I did find was that down in the valley was a substantial amount of pecan shells. underneath are the 2 steel lines that connect to each cyinder head. It would take a while, but after passing through all the shells, it would drain out of the bellhousing. i didn't realize there were lines down there at first, but i am very familiar with it now. Thanks again!

Todd

I have seen that twice before. One word MICE!!!!!! I had a no start truck that came to me one time. The owner was gone for a year and the truck was in storage. I started poking around and found the valley full of the hood insulation and dog food and 5 dead baby mice. They decided to chew through the wiring for the IPR valve and ICP sensor. I HATE rodents. Our Ag dept. had a tractor that had all kinds of fault codes. Tech pulls the floor mat and panels out and sees a major harness all eaten up. He found the offender a 10lb woodchuck.

Mice and wires... buncha pussies... you haven't lived until you've seen what a bear can do to a snow machine seat.... Posted Image

Many years ago, there was a woman... One winter, when she started her car, she heard a horrible sound and her generator light came on. She drove straight to the dealer I worked at....

"Did you use to own an orange cat?"

"Yes, I have an orange cat....".

"OH no you don't....".

Life gives us so many opportunities.... to be kind - to be faithful - to be truthful - to be complete assholes....

"Life gives us so many oppurtunities to...to be kind- to be faithful-to be truthful- to be complete assholes..." HAHAHAHAHA. . . . . That quote is great jim. I am going to remember that statement. I would imagine a bear can do some serious damage to more than just the seat.