'08 Coolant Leak

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

I'm pretty un-familiar with these engines and being the only diesel tech in the shop I'm just looking for a place to start. Truck has a pretty bad coolant leak, external. I couldnt pin point where the leak is, so I put dye in it. there is dye all over the front cover, in the engine valley, down the back of the engine (more on the driver side) and actually running off the left exhaust manifold. To me it's leaking somewhere in the valley, but I havnt done more than a cooling fan to a 6.4 yet, what all is up top to leak coolant? From what I can tell it's none of the coolant hoses on top of the engine.

Thanks again guys,

Brandon

Inspect the plastic tube that goes to the heater core return - runs along the rh valve cover back to just in front of the glow plug module - those crack - usually not really obvious - check previous work history to see if anyone's had that area apart as that's generally when they get cracked.

Found it, after looking at the history on this truck, it had a mile long list of previous repairs. After digging and digging I finally found it. Follow me here guys, I'm not to good at describing......At the top of the vertical EGR cooler there is a hose that runs into a tube that runs into a 90* aluminum fitting that goes into the front cover. The damned bolt that holds that fitting in was backed the whole way out and the fitting backed out past the o-ring. Not sure if it was due to the previous repairs or just sh!t luck.

Thanks for all of the tips guys,

Brandon

Found it, after looking at the history on this truck, it had a mile long list of previous repairs. After digging and digging I finally found it. Follow me here guys, I'm not to good at describing......At the top of the vertical EGR cooler there is a hose that runs into a tube that runs into a 90* aluminum fitting that goes into the front cover. The damned bolt that holds that fitting in was backed the whole way out and the fitting backed out past the o-ring. Not sure if it was due to the previous repairs or just sh!t luck.

Thanks for all of the tips guys,

Brandon

My first 6.4 experience was this issue. The bolt was broken off. Had never been apart before.

My first 6.4 experience was this issue. The bolt was broken off. Had never been apart before.

I was kind of leaning towards this just being sh!tty luck, I just couldn't see all the work that had went into this thing before, not being careful and letting something like that loose. Either way, she'll be back on the road Monday.

Thanks again guys,

Brandon