09-23-1

Rate this topic

Aaron

3.0 to diag, and replace rad.

3.8 to diag and replace rad and thermostats.

SLTS .4 cooling system pressure test, .9 thermostat diagnosis 2.3 to do a rad, 2.3 to do stats.

Posted Image

Time ticking for me in the trade anyhow.

Blew up a disc in my back.

MRI was today. Results next week.

Likely surgery, then I'm fuckin' done.

That sucks. I had the same scare last year when they said I had carpal tunnel but I've been pain free since december. I've even been able to ride my crotch rocket all summer with no pain.

Time ticking for me in the trade anyhow.

Blew up a disc in my back.

MRI was today. Results next week.

Likely surgery, then I'm fuckin' done.

WTF happened? How could such a big guy like you take out your back like that? Were you trying to lift something too heavy that should've been lifted using equipment?

^^^ Correctamundo.

I'm a bit on the fat side, not obese by any means, but i'm not a string bean, either.

Stand about 6'5, 258lbs when I weighed myself last.

I'm not sure what the ORIGINAL issue (however I have a pretty good goddamn idea, and there's no fucking accident report for it) was that started all this shit, but I could drop my keys and bend over to pick 'em up and it'll go for a shit. I try my best to not lift anything by hand that should be lifted using crane, with the exception of 6.0 cylinder heads, as well as 6.4 radiators ("With the help of an assistant..."), but aside from that, I try and use the appropriate lifting equipment to avoid injuring myself further. This last round of pain, started shortly after doing a front cover on a 6.0, so there wasn't really any heavy lifting involved that way.

And to add insult to injury? I got a wicked bad "cough due to cold" that's REALLY awesome when you've got a bastardized back.

Hey Forest? I used to throw my back out by sneezing. I had a misalignment in the middle of my spine and if I sneezed really hard it was enough to cause pain, pain that got worse every time I took a breath. Fortunately my back has not given me many major problems in quite a few years now...

...running off to find some wood to knock! Posted Image

WTF happened?

What they said, Mike... little guys look at something and ask for help to lift it.... this is wise.

The bigger you are - the less you ask for help.... I have a bad habit of swinging 19.5s on steel wheels up onto the ramp of my hoist (between mid thigh and waist level) without help... One of these days. I will move a wee bit wrong.... This is not so wise.

This is not so wise.

So why do you still do it? I caught on years ago that pretty much EVERY time my lower back felt like a knife had been jammed in it it was after pulling wheels off and lifting them back on... these would be the offset dually wheels on vans. For the most part I now remove the lugs and lower the truck and pop the wheels off, roll them around the truck to rotate or lay on the floor whilst I work. I have far fewer complaints when it comes to my back now.

Jim my friend, you quit smoking which is VERY hard to do. Deciding not to, and not handling wheels like you do, should be really easy. Posted Image

Smoking....Yep that's one I still have been trying to quit. It's a real bitch though. Now doing what you have done for years and years wrenching becomes 2nd nature not a addiction, This my friends is harder than getting Nicotrol or whatever else is out there. . Habits are the worst thing to change. Posted Image

Larry, my loving bride and I tried everything under the sun to help us quit... the patch - the gum - never did get to the hypnosis part...

My wife read Alan Carrs book, picked a day and quit... Boom! About a month later, I recalled all the times I tried to quit and relapsed because she still smoked. One morning I woke up and the mood was right... Instead of lighting one up, I threw them away. My wife hasn't had the urge to smoke since... Me? I don't think I really quit smoking - but it's been a really, really long time since I had one. I quit on a Monday morning so I had stuff to keep me busy for the first days.

Quitting is a monumental decision... Patches and gum and pills are only crutches and not very good ones.... So, the difference for us is that we decided we weren't going to "try" to quit smoking... we decided we were going to stop smoking (and yes, there are times I would !KILL!for a smoke) period...

Kieth... I have spent many years telling young'ns to put down their purse and 'do it'.... I used to live like "death is natures way of telling us to slow down"... I do look after myself much better than I used to.... but many old habits die hard... besides... this is one of those things I will do as long as I can. And doing it the other way takes too long...

... we decided we weren't going to "try" to quit smoking... we decided we were going to stop smoking ...

At one of the local parks in town there is a walking track built by one of the hospitals in town. Every tenth of a mile there is an exercise station with instructions for a different exercise. There is also a little blurb, and an inspirational quote. Some of them are quite profound, and some are just funny. The one that really stands out to me is Yoda - "Do or do not. There is no try."

It's been quite a while since my last smoke too... Over two years. I smoked for 20 before that. I used a crutch - nicotine free cigarettes. But they were so terrible I couldn't take it after a few days. The nicotine withdrawl was horrible - vertigo, headrush, short temper, you name it. I powered through it on inertia and reflex, and thank goodness for the patience of others... Now, I can actually go an entire day without thinking about a smoke. But damn, it sure smells good when someone else fires up....

This Thanksgiving (2009) will mark 4 years since my last cigarette. Not one since and I actually hate the smell of cigarette smoke now. Several years before I quit for good I really did not smoke as much as I had for many years. What finally did it for me was watching my father's health rapidly deteriorate over several respiratory infections and then slowly suffocate as he gave in to his advanced emphysema. If that doesn't convince anyone to stop smoking then nothing will. I agree with Yoda.

I quit like 5 years ago. Picked it back up at the diamond mine to help deal with being alone. If you weren't smoking, you were sitting in your room. So when you smoked you were in the smoking lounge and things were friendly.

About 3 months ago I said to myself "Hey stupid, shit shit causes CANCER AND YOU WILL DIE AND YOU STINK ALL THE TIME!" and that was it.

Keep this quiet though, I kinda neglected to mention it to the Missus. Posted Image

I quit smoking (cigarettes) almost 7 years ago now. I just woke up one morning hacking up some shit from my lungs and decided that was it... and it was. Super easy for me to do. I wish everybody else could stop as easily as I did.

Yeah, my wife was piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed that I just stopped.. or the fact that I could. It took her at least two years and 3 or four attempts. What really helped her was my (then 5 year old) daughter telling her EVERY DAY smoking was bad for her.

I had nothing to do with that by the way. Posted Image