What's in your bay, part II

Rate this topic

Aaron

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a bend pack 12k clear overhead (has floor bump for cables). Arm extensions arent removeable. I have tried without success to lift a regular cab before, but it was a wide frame (f-350) truck. The f-550 with the narrow frame I was just able to get the arms to go past the frame. I wasnt able to use the lift pads on the hoist, but used 6x6 blocks sitting on the hoist arms.

Easiest thing is to just slip it into netural an roll the chasis a few inches. Alternatively. Deflating the tires on one side will "tilt" the frame in/down on one side a couple of inches and MAY give you the clearance you need. Reg cabs I strap it to the hoist through the windows just to be safe. They can be tippy SOBS.

Originally Posted By: cbriggs
Regular cab, what a bitch to lift the cab when its that short.
To lift cabs on regular cab configurations, you have to pull the extension arms out or you'll hit the frame going up or coming down, but I'm sure you know that already. Another issue I've ran into, on 6.4L trucks more so, is with it being very nose heavy, I end up having to strap down the rear of the cab to the arms in order to prevent it from tipping over.

This is all fine and dandy when the extension arms are removable, but since they installed my 15,000 lb. "truck" hoist, I can no longer do this (the arms aren't removable). In fact, I haven't used my "truck" hoist that much since they installed it. The arms are too thick to fit under any vehicles other than that of an F-Series truck (I work on cars and trucks). So 90% of the time, I find myself using the bay beside me to work with.

I lift the whole truck up on the frame and use 4 long jack stands under the cab. Then lower the frame and leave the cab up in the air. Got the idea from Keith's video on headgasket repair. Posted Image

On another note. I just finished up replacing the engine bay harness after an electrical fire destroyed the battery junction box in a 2011 F550. Whoever installed the electric crane on the back of this thing didn't install a fuse or breaker when he wired it up directly to the battery. The switch malfunctioned and you could probably figure out the rest. The installer had the nerve to say it wasn't his fault, despite being told by 4 mechanics(myself included) and our service manager that having a fuse installed would have prevented this from happening. Here's my salute to sub-standard service Posted Image.

Posted Image

On another note. I just finished up replacing the engine bay harness after an electrical fire destroyed the battery junction box in a 2011 F550. Whoever installed the electric crane on the back of this thing didn't install a fuse or breaker when he wired it up directly to the battery. The switch malfunctioned and you could probably figure out the rest. The installer had the nerve to say it wasn't his fault, despite being told by 4 mechanics(myself included) and our service manager that having a fuse installed would have prevented this from happening. Here's my salute to sub-standard service Posted Image.

Posted Image

..... and now is when I'm pissed that my camera has stopped working. I just had a 2011 F-550 with a dump box on the back towed in. However, I think the fire damage to this one is WAY more severe. Just looking at it, it needs an engine (everything plastic and rubber is GONE), both front fenders, grill, rad support, windshield wiper cowling, wiper transmission, instrument panel, left front tire.....

You get the picture. After reading this, I am now wondering if this is the exact same scenario that played out.

2010 F350. 6.4L with 60725 KM. Broken #3 exhaust rocker arm. Both exhaust valve tips bent/scored up. Getting 2 new exhaust valves, and a set of rockers for #3.

Some of these posts would make great new topics in the other forums... with that said, I need to end this thread as it is huge. We can start an new "What's in your bay, part III" but if you have something kool or really screwed up in your bay, start a new topic so we can tear it apart!

Thread locked due to excessive size. Not a big deal.