What's in your bay, part II

Rate this topic

Aaron

I can't seem to locate the thread, and I'm having some troubles with the search function, and it was like 10 pages, so let's start a new one!

Posted Image

Green 350 is charge lamp on, headlamps inop due to aftermarket bullshit rat bastard see ya in hell plow lighting harness, black 08 250 is a frequent regen and three pages of trim concerns, and the 06 King Rancher is a no start, sometimes start, stalling on decel, which I've pinpointed down to not starting at all now, due to a lack of SYNC and FICMSYNC due to an open in circuit 49..... FUCK 12B637 replacement is in my future.

Oh well, beat's working on gas engines, and/or being slow.

OH and for the inquiring minds that want to know, I have two bays, the ones the black 250 and the King Ranch are in. I overtook the Shop Foreman's bay last night on my night shift and managed to finagle it back together before he got in to work this morning so he could have his stall back.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron, you are having too much fun ! All I have is a 07 LCF that decided it would be best to just idle its life away instead of me driving it. Just have to now figure out why I have no throttle response; pedal is ok.

never had anything in my bay long enough to remeber this week. Did 3 egr cooler oil cooler jobs in a day and a half, back to back. 2 ficms, an engine on an 06; low compression in 3 holes, a rh turbo feed pipe and thermostats on a 6.4l. Gnarly week. Today was blessed with one of the craziest driveability concerns on a 6.0l ive ever seen.(see my post in 6.0l forum). Tommorow im puting an engine in a 97 malibu for a friend of mine. oh joy.

Other than a rash (3 consecutive to be exact) of 6.4 EGT sensors and one inlet pipe... nothing but safety inspection, maintenance and 7.3L oil pan gravy has come through my bays this week.

Swapped the malibu engine yesterday. Ended up being a long block swap insead of just a used (complete)engine re & re. The engine we got was out of a pontiac and everything was different, even the timing cover. Ended up taking 10 hours, still a pretty easy job.

Let's see....overhauling a high-hour 500hp Cummins N14, diagnosed a failed dowel pin/cracked timing case on a 12-valve Dodge, rebuilding some tandem axle trailer suspension, butt-load of wiring repairs to an ex-logging truck from the BC coast, gotta diag a '08 Cat C15 with exhaust leaks and oil-puking issues, diag a '71 GMC with a 427 and no power, and diag a '85 F-700 with pretty sparklers when it gets wet. Gonna be busier than a two-pecker'ed dog, that's for sure. Anyone got a dwell meter.....

I might need help, actually. We inherited the truck from a local auto shop, whose only knowledgeable tech can't physically work on it due to injuries, etc. They inherited it from someone else who diagnosed the low power concern as a failed carburetor. So we have a reman Holley waiting to be installed and that will magically fix it. We're gonna slow down and diagnose this thing properly before we throw shit at it and see what sticks.

Step 1 with a gas truck is to do a compression test physically on all 8 because gassers work so hard their engine life is terribly short. Send that $500 Holley back as I doubt you'll need it, it's likely to be junk out of the box, and they are so simple my wife could rebuild it. Don't mess with the governor stuff, pull the float bowls off and spray clean what's inside. Get a kit from Napa or wherever (using the list# on the air horn) and put the parts in. (If you have a speed shop handy you could just buy the float bowl gaskets or a minor tune up kit cheap) Pull the venturi (?) parts from the bores and replace the gaskets and spray clean in there. You're better off fixing what you have than buying a reman carb when it comes to Holleys, as the truck models with governors are ridiculously expensive. I'd bet the carb is not your problem anyway. Check all secondary ignition stuff and ONLY USE OE (Delco/AC) BRAND PARTS. No fucking Napa wires, cap, or anything else. It probably takes an AC R43 plug. Make sure BOTH timing advances work correctly- mechanical and vacuum. I'd bet one or the other is broken.

If you stoop to putting the reman carb on, look at all of the linkages and vacuum ports with a microscope before getting it dirty, as you'll likely find it doesn't line up right.

By helping you with that 427, I meant I'd help you pull it out of that truck and install it in my 'Vette.....

Posted Image

Just got the go ahead to do injector cups on a 6.0. Another shop just put 3 injectors in it after we diag'd it, but they must have went for coffee instead of tightening the injectors on reassembly. We fixed what you told us but now it quit going down the road !

Send that $500 Holley back as I doubt you'll need it, it's likely to be junk out of the box, and they are so simple my wife could rebuild it. Don't mess with the governor stuff, pull the float bowls off and spray clean what's inside. Get a kit from Napa or wherever (using the list# on the air horn) and put the parts in. (If you have a speed shop handy you could just buy the float bowl gaskets or a minor tune up kit cheap) Pull the venturi (?) parts from the bores and replace the gaskets and spray clean in there. You're better off fixing what you have than buying a reman carb when it comes to Holleys, Check all secondary ignition stuff and ONLY USE OE (Delco/AC) BRAND PARTS. No fucking Napa wires, cap, or anything else. It probably takes an AC R43 plug. Make sure BOTH timing advances work correctly- mechanical and vacuum. I'd bet one or the other is broken.

By helping you with that 427, I meant I'd help you pull it out of that truck and install it in my 'Vette.....

Posted Image

+1 on rebuilding what you have....If not send it to me I have a local carb guy that does a awesome job. Low power???? First thing I would do would be to check the accel. pump, probably is the original leather one. Rochester carbs back in that vintage were notorious for accel. pumps rotting out and causing all kinds of grief.

As for helping Bruce with the vette.....Have you ever seen it????Really Really clean!!!!!Don't let him kid you.....

My bay which is always full.....Phones are off the hook and getting calls from all over the place. Since the website went live at work it's been a full time job just doing that, let alone the regulars locally.

Bruce, that 427 is likely a tall deck (10.200") motor, so it'd be a good foundation for a stroker -- in the +600 inch range Posted Image

But it probably woulnd't fit under a Vette hood.