What's in your bay, part II

Rate this topic

Aaron

who would have ever thought that thing would come out of there?

Posted Image

oh yeah, and my manifolds/upppipe 6.4.........also needs a rad and upper hose C/P. filled the degas up on wed when i did the reprogram. today it's down in the bottom of the bottle

and the tensioner is kinda going sideways Posted Image

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who would have ever thought that thing would come out of there?

Posted Image

oh yeah, and my manifolds/upppipe 6.4.........also needs a rad and upper hose C/P. filled the degas up on wed when i did the reprogram. today it's down in the bottom of the bottle

and the tensioner is kinda going sideways Posted Image

Do you have to tilt the cab to get the down pipe out that way?

Speaking of 6.7s I'm finally tearing mine down... ...Shot 500+ pics in the last couple of days.

Can we get a sample of your pictures? I do enjoy your cutaways...

Originally Posted By: Bruce Amacker
I can't believe you guys can put in a long block and know where every bolt goes.

Who says we know where every bolt goes? Besides, every bolt left off makes a vehicle lighter. We're just doing our bit to improve the fuel mileage of today's cars and trucks...

Actually, for me, on engines I haven't worked on very much I put a lot of the bolts right back into their holes once the components are separated. I also segregate bolts into different boxes based on location or function. These days, that would only be the 6.7. The 6.4 and 6.0 just get one big ol' honkin' box on the floor and I chuck all the nuts and bolts into it as they come out.

Do you have to tilt the cab to get the down pipe out that way?

Yeah check out the rh up-pipe thread in the 6.4 section. Loosen the cac tubes and battery cables and unbolt all the cab bolts but the rear 2. Just raise it 3-4" off the front mounts and you'll have plenty of room to snake that downpipe out. I also unbolted the trans cooler lines to clear the rear flange. You might not have to do this though

Doesn't matter anyways. This truck is a pile, I absolutely cannot get the rh manifold out, there is so much salt/sand and corrosion built up what I found weren't bolt heads but bolt nubs.

Cab is up all the way now, heads are coming off tomorrow. Put a hotline in just to cover my ass. They say they're seeing a lot of trucks that need the heads removed and even a few that need the entire head replaced.

Funny, all I have is a bunch of 6.0's that all seem to have head gasket failures.... right after they all got back from down south pulling their monster trailers home after spring break.

Been seeing a ton of 6.0's lately - all needing injectors or coolers....seems like the last several days they've all been CP!! CHA-CHING!! Which is good since last week I hardly had anything to do and it was all warranty!!

2008 F350 with 116,443 km on it. Spewing coolant out the degas. Egr coolers dry as a popcorn fart. Off come the heads and I hope I find something for warranty to pay for.

Well I have the heads off. Fire rings for #3 and #5 blown out just like a 6L. Pitting where the fire ring seals, so it gets a new head.

May be going home after ordering the head cause there is nothing left except a possible engine swap on an F350 ambulance. Broken injector and 0 PSI.

Edit: Note to self: Never, ever use the engine crane with one leg up to sneak it around a tire to put the head back on. Luckily I was out of the way and the EGR cooler bracket took the brunt of the blow as the head hit the floor.

I'm 6'1" and believe me i never applied for this job, kinda got forced into it

Actually there's a lower level right below where that truck sits. They detail cars downstairs and the owner stores all his toys down there. When I lifted the bed up mud water(rain yesterday) ran out on the floor right through a crack and dripped all over the owners cars. One day you'll read about Star Lake Ford collapsing, pieces of the ceiling are laying on the floor down there

I started out at the sister lincoln store as an entry level out of asset. Did too damn good of a job, showed too much promise and was too low on the pole to call any shots. This shop was about to lose it's ability to sell diesel trucks so rather than hire for the position they moved me out and got me diesel certified. This place has never seen trucks like it is now. It definitely wasn't designed with that in mind

7.3L MT with a PTO. I think that justifies pulling the cab to do an oil pan/reseal

7.3L cabs are a cinch to remove aren't they? The last one I did, I didn't even need to evac & recharge the A/C. I just sent the compressor up in the air with the cab. BTW, are you quoting a clutch job with this oil pan reseal?

yeah it's getting a clutch and up-pipes too. I had a ebpv seal kit laying around i'm going to put in for the guy also.

This guy is a good customer but he got a pan from advance auto that had a terrible fit around the front cover..... so once i found that out it was obviously too late. spent an hour re-scraping the tacked up rtv back off the block/covers and chasing the bolt holes Posted Image

I still can't believe that cab and how fast the rest comes apart, the 7.3 is so simplistic compared to 6.0/6.4s.

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
Uhhhg! Posted Image An E450 shuttle bus with a blown oil cooler.
26 to 30 hours RETAIL CHA-CHING!!!!

Does that include removing the freaking hand railing that usually blocks access to removing the dog house? Last one I did I removed the driver's seat and steering wheel also.

Does that include removing the freaking hand railing that usually blocks access to removing the dog house? Last one I did I removed the driver's seat and steering wheel also.

I guess that question implies that I'm not charging enough. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I just did a set of coolers that has the bullshit aftermarket A/C compressor setup to run the refridgeration unit in the box. Since we're on the subject, yes I remove both front seats on every E-Series that I'm deep into. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I've gotten fed up with torturing myself, having to bend parts of my human anatomy into very uncomfortable forms just to wrench on these things.

We got one bus here with all kinds of crap blocking the dog house

and all kinds of auxilary crap all over. After i work on that thing my girlfriend got to give me a 2 hour massage because i'm all cramped up. Also the emergency units are no picnic, you got to squeeze yourself in betwwen the computer pedistal and the back of the motor when working back there and we constantly get them in for leaky cooler gaskets.

Comes with the territory Brad. Actually, I don't mind busses as much as I HATE ambulances. Don't get me wrong, they still suck though. 7.9 hours for the cooler and 5.4 hours for the flushing - both TSB's. My next question is how do you claim extra for the bus heater and extra "stuff" you need to remove when using TSB's? M-time is a joke. We are limited to 1.5 hours.

I die on these. Posted Image

I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them!