What's in your bay, part II

Rate this topic

Aaron

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, it makes me feel better to know I'm not alone in absolutely hating to wrench on them. That's why when they're retail, I show no mercy on the labour. That engine has had to be one Ford's biggest clusterfuck of all time.

Just got done doing a HPP and standpipes/rail plugs on one today....17 hours THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! Back does get kinda sore contorting ones self in those awkward positions to do so though!!

• 2 weeks later...

According to one source i was talking too, the 6L and 6.4L almost put Ford under. The 6.7L sure was their saving grace.

I work on WAY to many bus's at my shop

0118100924-00.jpg

I don't envy you at all, I thought I was having a bad week with 2 transit buses and a couple of limo buses. Wish I had that kind of space though, our truck shop only has 6 bays, and with 2 E vans torn to bits, and 2 trucks with blown up Detroits, not much room for the day to day stuff. With the nice weather coming, I just might end up doing a cab lift outside on the concrete pad for a HPP with the portable post hoists !

That photo is about a year old but is any typical day in the shop.

Wish I had that kind of space though,

There is a drive on lift in the spot where that green bus was now making a total of 8 lifts on that side, the left side of that part of the shop has 6 lifts, the wall behind my toolbox (that black covered thing) has 7 more lifts, then there is the "truck shop" with 2 flat bays and one with a lift,the new/used prep area has 3 more lifts, and then we have the portable lifts 2 sets of 4 units that can be moved anywhere.

Posted Image

I work on WAY to many bus's at my shop

The Mustang with it's differential torn apart and sitting in my bay, might as well be a bicycle with a flat tire when you stack it up against the work in that picture. Posted Image

We have two sets of those portable hoists. There are two 15,000 lb twin post hoists in the shop and one 60,000 lb drive on hoist, everything else is done on the ground. We have 15 Techs in the truckshop here and all have to share the portable hoists except the couple with hoists in their stalls.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the whats in your bay..., today was a strange one. Inspected a 95 f-350 last week, ex-bush truck with 280000 kms. It needed a tonne of work, guy just bought it and wants all the work done: front calipers, broken front wheel studs, clutch master, oil pan gasket, front crank seal, broken up exhaust, alternator, belt, broken egr pipe, leaking rad, broken rad support, broken headlights and signal lights, seized park brake cables, rotted battery cables. That was my project for today and a bit of tommorow. Been a while since I worked on one of these old rockets. To top it off the box is all broken up and literally falling off the truck, he wants us to find him a used box now. For what he is spending in repairs he could buy a way better truck! People are Crazy.

The ram broke on my engine crane, luckily it was high enough to get the engine on the stand to reseal bed plates. Now I have to wait for the new ram to finish the job. Good thing I go to school for the rest of the week.

Posted Image

The ram broke on my engine crane, luckily it was high enough to get the engine on the stand to reseal bed plates.

That engine crane doesn't look like it is well suited to lift a 6.0L diesel engine (which is what it looks like in your photo).

BTW, is it just me, or does it look like you posted your photo backwards?

That engine crane doesn't look like it is well suited to lift a 6.0L diesel engine (which is what it looks like in your photo).

No kidding! that engine hoist looks just like the one I used to use. The one I was using when the engine broke the chain it was dangling from because it started to bounce as I had to jerk the hoist to get it moving. Those small wheels work against you when there is that much weight.

Originally Posted By: mchan68
BTW, is it just me, or does it look like you posted your photo backwards?

Good eye Mike! I would not have noticed if you didn't mention it. The handle on the engine stand crank is on the wrong side... as are the steering gear and differential "pumpkin" on the truck.

Good eye Mike! I would not have noticed if you didn't mention it. The handle on the engine stand crank is on the wrong side... as are the steering gear and differential "pumpkin" on the truck.

Actually, what caught my immediate attention was the dipstick on the engine.

And they say guys like me can be blinded with dental floss Posted Image.

Your right, it is backwards. Will have to look into that. The crane is rated for a 6L, barely. A have the boom fully extended so I can get the engine onto the stand, If i don't I have to put the engine on floor stands and use the hoist arm to lift it onto the engine stand.

The webcam setup was set to mirror image. Not sure why, but I changed it.

Retail headgaskets,egr and oil coolers, STC fitting and bed plate reseal.

CHA CHING......

Quoted at 42.5 hours. About fricking time.

The service writer told the customer it would be done in 2 days.....To quote my 4 year old: "Ah, don't fink so"