2005 case 580 backhoe

Rate this topic

cbriggs

Is anybody familair with the specs and procedure to set the injection timing on one of these.Do i need and special tools? It has a bosch rotary injection pump. The pump has come loose and turned all the way retarded, and is leaking oil. I will be replaceing the pump to engine gasket and then will need to reset timing.

The last I did anything to had a scribe line from manufacture to mark pump flange to cover or block where it inserts. Have you clean the pump body or block yet where you could see any markings like that?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Larry, were you ever able to find any info on this setup. It looks like i am putting an engine in this unit, as it turns out its dusted, compression is low, crankcase pressure is way high, and it burns 2 gal of oil per day. We have come to findout that this is an 05 unit, with an 04 engine. Case will not sell the same engine for this, as apparantly it is supposed to have a bunch of emission controls on it.( I'm wondering if that is why info is hard to come by?) They will only sell the newer engine and add $6000 to bring it up to 05 emission levels. So that brings the total for a 4 cyl diesel engine to $20,000 canadian. So we are now looking for a reman engine, if anybody has a supplier that builds this kindof stuff, a referal would be appreciated. ( Preferably in the nw states or western canada)

Can't you get a machine shop to build it for you? Our local guys build just about anything for us, Competition Services from Crossfield, AB. I can get a phone number if you're interested. Or you might try Superior Power Products in Calgary, I think that's the name, but then they use aftermarket parts most of the time. Anyway you slice it, the worst part is engine re/re, which you're doing anyways, right? It should be a pretty simple engine to overhaul, and a manual can't be that expensive. Is it a Perkins, Iveco, or Case/Cummins?

Case / cummins. We have no local machine shop. We were going to inframe it, but its got no liners. Owner (my friend and neibor) doesnt want to lose a bunch of time with it down, wants to do a complete swap. He did get ahold of somebody in calgary, and they have 4 engines on the shelf, not sure of the name though.

I'd be leery of doing it inframe without having replaceable liners available...

Might almost be beneficial to send it out to someone and have it built, not sure how far from a machine shop you are at your present location, but its just a thought.

Ya, we arent going to inframe it for that reason. He ended up taking it to our local hd shop. They pulled engine and he is taking it to calgary to have remaned. (about 3 hrs away) The engine builder suggested building his, as it only has 1800 hrs on it, rather than one of his shelf units which may have been high hour engines. ( sounds like he includes pump and injectors etc. in built engines)