Fuel In Coolant

Rate this topic

Aaron

Latest TSB?

21.1 hours to diag by removing all 8 injectors and replacing both cylinder heads in an econoline which includes r&r the engine?

Hoorah!

Posted Image

You've got to be kidding me. What is the TSB number?

TSB

09-26-1 6.0L DIESEL FUEL IN ENGINE COOLANT DIAGNOSTICS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/30/2008

Publication Date: December 17, 2009

FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion

2003-2007 F-Super Duty

2004-2008 E-350, E-450, E-550

This article supersedes TSB 08-23-8 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty 250-750, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2008 E-Series vehicles built on or before 9/30/2008 may exhibit fuel in engine coolant, due to leaks in the cylinder head fuel injector area. Symptoms may include fuel in engine coolant and coolant expulsion from the degas bottle.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Inspect the degas bottle for evidence of fuel in the engine coolant and not oil or combustion gases. If diesel fuel is present, refer to the following Service Procedure. If not, follow normal diagnostics and/or other applicable articles.

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ENSURE A COMPLETE FLUSHING OF THE ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM IS PERFORMED TO REMOVE ALL CONTAMINANTS FOLLOWING REPAIR.

Drain coolant from cooling system.

NOTE: FAILURE TO DRAIN THE COOLING SYSTEM PRIOR TO PRESSURIZATION WILL RESULT IN AN INABILITY TO DIAGNOSE LEAK SOURCE.

Remove all injectors from both cylinder heads. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 313-04C.

Wipe injector bore clean of oil and fuel.

Fit the cooling system pressure tester, refer to WSM, Section 303-03. (Do not add coolant)

Apply 10 psi (69 kPa) of air pressure to sealed cooling system. It is suggested to use a hand operated pressure tester or regulated shop air with tee in degas hose to degas bottle.

NOTE: FAILURE TO DRAIN THE COOLING SYSTEM PRIOR TO PRESSURIZATION WILL PREVENT BUBBLES FROM FORMING WHEN SPRAYED WITH SOAP AND WATER SOLUTION.

Spray a 50/50 mixture of dish soap and water generously inside each injector bore. Ensure cylinder head injector bore casting is coated with a soap layer.

Inspect each injector bore for bubbles. A light and mirror or bore-scope may aid in pinpointing a leak location. Most common area is between the two injector fuel sealing O-rings in the sealing area on the side nearest the cylinder glow plug. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 09-26-1

Replace cylinder head if leaking through casting. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01C.

Flush cooling system, refer to other applicable service bulletins for proper cooling system flush procedures.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

08-23-01

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

092601A 2003 F-Super Duty, Excursion 6.0L: Replace The Right Cylinder Head, Includes Time To Perform Diagnosis Outlined In This Article (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 12.0 Hrs.

092601A 2004-2007 F-Super Duty, 2004-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Replace The Right Cylinder Head, Includes Time To Perform Diagnosis Outlined In This Article (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 12.6 Hrs.

092601A 2004-2008 Econoline 6.0L: Replace The Right Cylinder Head, Includes Time To Perform Diagnosis Outlined In This Article (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 20.0 Hrs.

092601B 2004-2008 Econoline 6.0L: Replace The Left Cylinder Head, Includes Time To Perform Diagnosis Outlined In This Article (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 19.9 Hrs.

092601B 2004-2007 F-Super Duty, 2004-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Replace The Left Cylinder Head, Includes Time To Perform Diagnosis Outlined In This Article (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 11.8 Hrs.

092601B 2003 F-Super Duty, Excursion 6.0L: Replace The Left Cylinder Head, Includes Time To Perform Diagnosis Outlined In This Article (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 11.3 Hrs.

092601C 2003 F-Super Duty, Excursion 6.0L: Replace Both Cylinder Heads, Includes Time To Perform Diagnosis Outlined In This Article (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 15.0 Hrs.

092601C 2004-2007 F-Super Duty, 2004-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Replace Both Cylinder Heads, Includes Time To Perform Diagnosis Outlined In This Article (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 15.6 Hrs.

092601C 2004-2008 Econoline 6.0L: Replace Both Cylinder Heads, Includes Time To Perform Diagnosis Outlined In This Article (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 21.6 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

6049 01

An extra 1.6 to change BOTH heads instead of one.

That deck surface will be good and clean.

I can see a lot of 'stream lined' diagnosis happening here....

"Oh fuck -- fuel in coolant. needs a pair of heads"

Fuck Sakes! I don't even know what to say anymore. Thieving bunch of Mother Fuckin Savage bastard Warranty Nazi's. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Dammit Aaron, You just made me run out of alcohol reading this shit. Now I gotta run to the liquor store and stock up again. Fuck! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

You wanna know what makes it better?

We've sold TWO 6.0 Econolines at my store. My SM told me today:

"If you're gonna lose your fucking shirt on something like that, I'll tell them to take it back to where they bought it from, if you don't want to fix it. No point in going into something knowing you're gonna get thrown under the bus for the labor time...do not use with any other labor operations. Nice."

It does call for related articles - TSB 08-23-01 which will give you another 5.4 hours to flush the cooling system on an econoline. grand total of 27 hours to do heads and flush cooling system on e-van = not nearly enough time.....not sure what retail would be, since I don't do many e-vans anymore, but we charge around 30 for heads on a f-series.

I'll tell them to take it back to where they bought it

We do that with all diesel engine warranty repairs, unless we've taken over the retail servicing of the vehicle.

If you didn't buy it from us, and/or don't service/maintain with us, we won't do the warranty.

If you didn't buy it from us, and/or don't service/maintain with us, we won't do the warranty.

That is also our only exception.

If we're servicing your truck regularly, no issue.

Current truck in my bay for hard start cold. Injectors don't rattle cold. Only oil change receipt he can provide is at 49k km. got 138k km on it and 3200 hours.

*sigh*

Back up a minute.....

Are you professional techicians that are factory trained telling me that you would turn a poor customer away if they haven't brought their fine running truck into your dealership(stealership) for a warranty concern at the end of warranty????? NO WAY!!!! I don't believe it Posted Image

Sorry guys had too....... Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Not really funny though....Some of them have maintained them....Maybe not with us but has been maintained none the less.... Might deserve a look if it merits with maintanence files....

Can't kill all the claims....Obviously there is a concern if FORD has a TSB on them.... Posted Image

Back up a minute.....Obviously there is a concern if FORD has a TSB on them.... Posted Image

Yup, there sure is. These fuckers (diesels) are bleeding Ford dry and Ford is trying to put a cap on it by capping it off at our end.

With TSB's like this, it's going to be hard to attract new diesel apprentices into the Ford scene. I already see young guys in the trade saying they're not even gonna bother with the diesel certification and I have been seeing it for the last "SEVEN" Years.

Originally Posted By: LARRYATSTI
Back up a minute.....Obviously there is a concern if FORD has a TSB on them.... Posted Image

Yup, there sure is. These fuckers (diesels) are bleeding Ford dry and Ford is trying to put a cap on it by capping it off at our end.

With TSB's like this, it's going to be hard to attract new diesel apprentices into the Ford scene. I already see young guys in the trade saying they're not even gonna bother with the diesel certification and I have been seeing it for the last "SEVEN" Years.

agreed, why should i get my cert. only to haveto work twice as hard to make the same amount or possibly less money...sure i will make more per hour but with crap like this you cant even break even. It may not be as much of a shock to techs who have been working on these since release and have lots of experiance but for a new tech to do this crap and make a living off of it...no way.