Turbocharger Reconditioning

Rate this topic

I suppose I am looking for anyone who has done this reconditioning procedure as outlined by International service bulletin 201055 for comment. There are one or two threads on this topic already but not specifically on doing it. I am piecing together an article on turbo issues like sticking: no boost and over boost.

Sooooo, I have a turbo on the bench and I started the process and it did not take long to determine that this particular turbo has a significant amount of rust scaling and pitting. This is on the surface where the unison ring rides on. Is there a point where you are supposed to make a judgment call and determine that the turbo is too far gone to recondition? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

I think that I may have discovered that point.

Posted Image

Yes I started cleaning it but this one will require several disks. The surface is really pitted and uneven. If I take a ball peen hammer to the scaling I can break most of it off...

..."with a ball peen hammer." I think that's a bit too harsh for a turbo. I think replacement is the better option here.

If any parts show pitting then a new turbo should be ordered. They (international is concerned with the scratches left by the 3m scotch brite pad and wants us to polish the surface to eliminate them. I have attempted to recondition many of these turbos and have only had two that were salvagable. Typically I am finding the turbine wheel is damaged requiring turbo replacement.

Okay, I got one that is not too bad and cleaned up fairly well! There is minor pitting which I can't see trying to get out nor do I see the pitting as a problem. In fact, when I was finished the vanes and the unison ring moved very smoothly. That is a success in my opinion considering that three vanes were barely movable at all. The actuator moves freely to the full extent in both directions so this puppy goes back into service as an experiment. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif And no, I won't get paid for doing this nor will I mention it on the write up... but you will see an article on it.

Okay, article done unless I got anything wrong. Please have a look-see especially anyone that has performed the Turbo Reconditioning... Quick comments and criticism welcome. If you have something to add to it please let me know! You lucky fellers get to see it first. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-05.php

Since ford doesn't allow their techs to recondition them, do they replace every one that has codes for excessive exhaust back pressure and or low boost?

I have found that marking the exhaust housing for the actuator linkage makes reassembly of the unison ring much easier as you won't have to keep lifting hte ring and repositioning it.

Quote:
Since ford doesn't allow their techs to recondition them, do they replace every one that has codes for excessive exhaust back pressure and or low boost?
Every single one! Don't forget a sicking turbo can cause an over boost condition as well.

Quote:
I have found that marking the exhaust housing for the actuator linkage makes reassembly of the unison ring much easier as you won't have to keep lifting the ring and repositioning it.
Good tip! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Quote:
Every single one!
They have recently started turning us down on some replacements, saying they are no longer going to be replacing, for the time being, like they're going to wait until they can see if there's a way to fix. They continue to have us try different procedures to try and "unstick" or "break them loose" some, like idling the motor up to 1400 rpms for 30 min., then open the vanes and rev the motor some to blow out loose stuff, then open and close the vanes manually on the WDS. Never works tho.

Great article, BTW!

If Ford thinks theres a way to reliably un-stick turbos they are only kidding themselves. The several I have disassembled to see what condition they were in, all would have required a serious cleaning and at least one was not even salvageable. I would almost bet they might consider the reconditioning procedure.

Since this burnt #3 piston thing is becoming more common I would rather recondition turbos than be replacing engines.

Just curious what trying to unstick a turbo pays? At what point do I start paying for fixing the vehicle?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

20 - 30 thousand miles is all I am seeing out of these turbos before they need maintaince, (in international chassis). Its been about a 50/50 chance of reconditioning them once I open them up and inspect.

I don't see how we could reliably place a mileage figure on this because of all the variables related to sticking turbos. Rust could be caused by a long period of non-use at any time. How about the truck that runs really well and works hard leaving the turbocharger very clean... leaving it susceptible to surface rust? Excessive carbon could be caused by crap fuel or injection problems both of which could be experienced... at any time.

Is there a certain mileage range that you would recommend pulling the turbo and taking a look? I just finished up a high pressure oil pump job on one of our vehicles with 143,000 miles. After reading this article, I should have pulled the turbo.

Everyone will likely have their own recomendations. But in my experience, if the truck is run like it was intended to be run(not idled excessively, not used only to tow the camper every 6mo, not used as a short trip grocery getter, not overloaded) with a good fuel additive and good maintenance records, the customer wont see many issues at all.. Since your fleet made it to the 140k range without turbo issues, I'd say you're probably going to be fine.. If you have a symptom, then I wouldnt hesitate to clean it before replacing it though..

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Ford will use the International kit and bulletin. I can see it now: R&R turbo -1.4, R&I turbo and recondition -1.6. :rolleyes: At least Ford will save some money as cleaning will be far more cost effective than replacing all these turbos.

I may be missing something, but my TSB copy says 2003-2005 Excursion,2003-2007 F-Super Duty and 2004-2006 E-350/450 are covered. The Turbo Reconditioning article on this site says they are not? Help!