Reductant

Rate this topic

Reductant id the term Ford is using for Diesel Exhaust Fluid and the system that manages the fluid. Reductant is injected into the Selective Catalyst Reduction system to reduce NOx emissions.

Some facts include:

[*]Reductant is 32.5% urea/water solution

[*]When Reductant is injected into the exhaust there is a chemical reaction that converts NOx to N2 and H2o

[*]The freeze point of Reductant is 12*F or -11*C

[*]The NOx sensor and module can detect if the incorrect fluid has been put into the system

[*]The Reductant heaters are controlled by the GPCM

the 2.5 gallon jug lists for $19.95 USD

So if the reservoir holds 5 gallons it adds $40 in parts to an already spendy lof. And you had better believe I'm not filling them for free, so the labor is gonna jump accordingly too Posted Image

That's not really a crazy price, the best price I've seen so far was at a truck stop where a 2.5 gallon jug was $9.95. At Mercedes Benz, one dealer quoted me $14.95 for a two litre bottle and another charged me $7.00 for the same bottle. The fluid has very little odor to it, no color, and seems like diluted Windex. It is slippery like soap when on your fingers and dries to a soapy residue.

Posted Image

I am a little surprised that it is that expensive. I have seen it at my local truck stop for $3.50 or so a gallon. I figured it would start off cheap so people wouldnt be hesitant to try it out.

If you let spilled urea sit for a while it will form crystals almost like a really poorly maintained set of battery terminals. It cleans up easily with water.

Quote:
So you don't fill washer bottles for free?

I do enough charity like washer fluid, wiper replacements, multi point inspections, tire pressure adjustments, free rotations if the customer bought tires from us, and air filter replacements. Perhaps this has made me somewhat cynical, but I will not be handling urea for free on top of everything else. Especially when I'm only paid .4 (24 min) for a lof that includes most of the aforementioned items. It's already a losing proposition when I get a lof at my dealer. If the customer doesn't want to pay extra to have me fill it, I can direct them to the retail parts counter. Customers know how to fill their washer fluid too, I think they can figure this out.

Far be it from me to discourage anyone who wants to do this for free from doing so.

We are not technicians anymore. Grease monkey has come full circle.

Perhaps we can at least avoid becoming pro bono piss monkeys.

I have already talked to my SM about the unique aspects of 6.7 maintenance and advised him to formulate a new menu price for a 6.7 lof including reductant replenishment and recommended the labor be 1.0 for the whole shebang.

The added cost of the reductant is going to cause them to make an adjustment in the menu pricing anyway for the 6.7... I figured I would plant this seed in his mind before he finalized it and sent out flyers without giving any thought to the added effort involved by the flat rate tech. He's a good guy, but I've found that salaried members of middle management can often forget that those of us who actually fix these things aren't salaried - our entire paycheck depends on billable hours produced. I don't know about you guys, but I feel my efforts have value.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel my efforts have value.

I not only agree but I'll add that your opinions and input to how your dealer does business is also valuable as it should be. If a management team has no idea that these services require extra labor charges then how could we expect them to change it? As I see it there is a lot of small stuff being tagged onto the mundane oil service and now we have more.

I am sure that servicing the reductant is no major deal but it does require extra steps and time. A diesel oil change at my dealer will pay you 0.4 and the Quality Care inspection will gain you an extra 0.2 - yes, my dealer pays us because they know how valuable the QC inspections are and we have sold a lot of work from using them. While an LOF and QCI will get me 0.6 and I too find such a service is a loss where productivity is concerned. Adding reductant servicing is simply making it worse. I agree that an hour is fair to both the tech and the customer provided that you include the QCI and the vehicle gets a genuine detailed inspection by a genuine Ford trained technician.

As for the cost of a service, a pricey oil change just got more expensive. This is to be expected when you consider the maintenance requirements of the 2011 Ford Super Duty with a Power Stroke diesel engine. They are high quality vehicles with a high performance high tech diesel engine with heavy emissions controls. The bar has been raised and now, so has the bottom line. One good thing is that the reductant system should not create any problems for the do-it-yourselfer provided they don't try cutting corners with the fluid. I do wonder if there will be some way to test the reductant solution in the service bay by means of a test strip or a hydrometer. This will be valuable in diagnosing reductant quality issues because, well, people do stupid things sometimes.

If you let spilled urea sit for a while it will form crystals almost like a really poorly maintained set of battery terminals. It cleans up easily with water.

Great, now we'll have all the fucking tweakers buying it up to make some new sort of meth with it.

Not sure if you guys have seen SVB 2010-7N or the Rotunda DEF dispenser flier? Handling this shit is NOT going to be an option... It is common for us to have to add fuel to trucks so we can road test them comfortably and I can see low DEF levels being a similar concern.

As far as "oil changes" we get about .7 last I looked - a "decent" oil change takes nearly an hour.

Some of that time is spent draining the water separator.... some of that time is spent putting air in the spare tire that never gets checked.... some of that time is spent looking for grease zerks on any possible aftermarket repair parts... All of that time is spent showing the customer we are conscientious, thorough and caring.... Always.... ALWAYS find one small thing you can do for free... and play it gently.

back to the reductant... If we fill it at the time of service or what have you, we should be somewhat assured that "bad" reductant isn't going to be a real big problem..... Oh, don't worry... it'll still happen.. But at least we can exercise a modicum of control for our loyal customers.

FWIW... everything we do has value (or should have.... ). Sometimes we can fold that value up and stuff it in our jeans... Sometimes that value extrapolates into "when can <my favourite tech> work on my truck"? It can be hard to quantify at times. All customers are created equal... some are more equal than others.

Me? Lately "I fix $6 haircuts".