Check out these pics... Really!!!

Rate this topic

The one on the left has bent the bridge opening I assume because the lint packed in and caused a wad blockage, Did the other one get blocked and just wouldn't open either?

Oh do tell what the foreign matter is.

I know! I know! Aftermarket coolant filter came apart!!

In all the years as a truck mechanic I have never seen a coolant filter come apart. I am not saying it couldnt happen. If you ask me Ford should be installing coolant filters from the factor. My 06 had casting sand stuck in the thermostat twice. In fact when you looked in the degas bottle you could see it in the bottom. I flushed the system twice and installed a coolant filter. I havent had anymore thermostat troubles since than. Just food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Diesel fuel maybe? I had an 08' F-250 last week that would not reach operating temperature, had DTC's for thermostat monitor. ECT/EOT pids way off so I figured it needed thermostats. I removed the thermostat assembly, find the high flow thermostat hyper extended but both are covered in that goo in the pic and it smelt like diesel. I ended up finding gobs of diesel fuel in the front cover. I did the usual fuel in cooling system diag, found no leaks at the injector cups or cylinder heads. I ended up putting two cylinder heads on to correct the "Goo" concern. But I don't think diesel fuel is the goo in the pic, it just looks like it. On the truck I worked on, all rubber gaskets on the thermostats were eaten away.