just 1 quick question

Rate this topic

I dunno...

you can be fast - or you can be good....

I think most of us have been treated to the aftermath of somebody elses fast.... Thats why we have expletives....

Before I became an apprentice, I worked at an auto wreckers.. This was back in the late 60s.... I could pull the motor and transmission out of a late model car in under 15 minutes using only a cutting torch and what we called a "wrecking buggy" - occasionally we would have to call the fire department but broken and burned shit doesn't count... right?

Fuck... I forgot.... at some point we might need to put this shit back together....

I can have both heads off in about 2.5 hours with cab on....and YES EVERYTHING GETS PUT BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM WHEN DONE!!!! I'm not a hack by any means - had a guy give me a hard time a couple weeks ago when I did one about the way I laid everything out on the bench so that I could put all back in same order/orientation during reassembly. Occasionally things get mixed up and don't get back in the same hole, but most times, all major components(ie: injectors, rockers, bridges, get back in the same holes....pushrods always make the same holes as I have an old coolant jug with holes in it to organize those!

Even though I take them apart in 2 and a bit hours, I still take around 6 to put them back together. My goal in doing a head gasket job on an F series is to start it first thing in the morning, and drive it out by the end of the day.

I am reminded of a "tech" that said "roll them in like a donut".... Some of the guys in western Canada know who I'm talking about.

Me? I don't do anything real steady.. I'm like "Mr. Everything" in our store and it shows in my efficiency... today I'm doing an automatic trans, tomorrow a repeat drivability, the next day a truck wanders... So I can't say what removing heads is going to take (well.... I got a pretty good idea what it will take me).

What I have seen is shit that scares the bejayzus out of me... shortcuts that haven't backfired...... not yet, anyway. Techniques that no engineer will sign off on, but guys do them.

Our society... both in the US and in Canada has grown (shall we say) litigious.... And if push comes to shove, can we say "I did that in strict accordance with accepted manufacturer procedure".

We want so badly to be accepted as a "profession" rather than a trade.... Ever see what airplane mechanics go though? And all the airplane techs I know get paid less than we do...

Go figure.

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
at some point we might need to put this shit back together....

Not if you're the guy taking it out at the salvage yard!

Kinda like the one they sent you after it had burnt to a crisp Posted Image

Me? I don't do anything real steady.. I'm like "Mr. Everything" in our store and it shows in my efficiency... today I'm doing an automatic trans, tomorrow a repeat drivability, the next day a truck wanders... So I can't say what removing heads is going to take (well.... I got a pretty good idea what it will take me).

No way, taking care of what the shop needs??????? I do it everyday the way I'm sure we all do..... I get into shit some of us never sees..... Sauer Danfoss gear pump on transit buses today, made in Sweden a real bitch to find parts for. Pump has been here 2 weeks and now they ask me if I can help find parts for it. I did but I'm a bit pissed now due to the fact they have waited over a week to get me involved. They know more than I do I guess Posted Image I came up with a local Company that services these hard to get pumps but again what do I know???? Customer is pissed but I have a better answer than the customer or even my shop has, 8-10 weeks is not a answer I approve of. So I will have my drivers take it to the local shop and we'll see tomorrow. Sorry for the hi-jack.....

Good post Jim, We all have evil's to deal with everyday.....

Originally Posted By: Aaron
Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
at some point we might need to put this shit back together....

Not if you're the guy taking it out at the salvage yard!

Kinda like the one they sent you after it had burnt to a crisp Posted Image

Hey, they took it back, and put all the non torched shit on it.

That fucker got sent out to someone again. Posted Image