W-A-N.

Rate this topic

Any body catch the Warrantee Action Notice (#2 -2010) that came out on friday about 6l injectors and fuel contamination. Essentially they are saying that prettymuch all 6l injector concerns and failures are caused by fuel contamination and dirt and desbris in the injectors. So my question is, when are they going to recall their filter system that is allowing the dirt and desbris into the injectors? Unbeleiveable, read thru it for a good laugh. (with pictures)

I know that the best of filtration systems can be overridden by lack of maintenance but this is BS. Hundreds of 6.0 injectors are changed on trucks with diligent owners. If Fomoco pushes this too far I hope they understand that low fuel pressure caused by poor pumps and a filter on the suction side (Can we shout "DUH") with no monitoring safeguards is likely the bigger culprit in the failures. The folks jumping on Toyota's butt could just as easily turn their focus on a pair of less than popular diesel engines in a few million blue oval pickups. GM stepped up to injector failures with an extended warranty so Fomoco could be shown to be lacking in standing behind a safety issue on these units. A truck that dies while driving leaves the operator in harm's way. I don't believe the manufacturers have a cradle to grave responsibility but the standards to which Ford holds techs for repair work should be mirrored back to their own behaviors. We have to be accountable for our comebacks, what about them?

I did see the notice the day it was released. I'm not even going to comment on it at this point because my will just start to boil. We'll see what happens one night after work when I've had a quite a few to drink though. Posted Image

It is amazing how Ford changes the game to suit their needs. On the International side we now have a tool that piggy backs the IDM and interfaces the lap top. It measures the delay in time of the injector coils to detect stiction. It shows you in a simple to read printout what inj. need to be replaced and gives you an authorization code. International says the injectors fail primarily on the oil side due to soot in the oil. They are also extending the warranty on these as a parts only deal, customer pays labor. Dropped the price per inj. (with the warranty number) to around $85.

On a side note, I had a repeat injector job. Injectors lasted about 6K miles. Came back, tested and found a stiction issue. Replaced the inj. and did a little more searching to find out what is going on with this engine. FOund the customer installed an oil filter for a VT275. These filters are several inches shorter than the 6.0l filter. Running unfiltered was the cause of the inj. failure.

The ford pick up applications don't run a fuel pressure switch off the secondary filter housing? We had a recall on the CF (fords LCF) vt 275 where we installed a pressure switch and programmed the ecm to monitor low fuel pressure conditions. The CF/LCF use the same HFCM as the pick ups correct?

No fuel pressure measurement on a 6.0 unless you hook a gauge onto it.

Can we see pics of your magic injector tester? That sounds like a neat rig.

$85 is ridiculously cheap for a 6.0 injector.

The Ford ones retail between $423 and $432 depending on year. Retail pricing, that is.

THis is a quote out of that W.A.N:

The use of alcohol based fuel additives will absorb the water into the fuel bypassing the Water in Fuel separator,

will not turn the Water In Fuel light on, resulting in fuel and injection system damage.

What a fucking bunch of Bullshit. If that's the case, then what the fuck causes the water to get past the filters all fucking summer long?

My question is, what about emissions. When these have an injector issue they typically pump out smoke of some color. I am doing one right now for excessive smoke, fuel smell. Egr, cooler and intake are all completely plugged with carbon. Trying to get prior approval for egr cooler, valve, chra and intake decarbon. Esp wants pictures of both filters, oil filter, plates, vin, chra,egr valve,egr cooler, odo, hr meter, injectors, valve train. The last two baffle me as i dont have the vc's off, and haven't even asked for injectors yet.

No fuel pressure measurement on a 6.0 unless you hook a gauge onto it.

Can we see pics of your magic injector tester? That sounds like a neat rig.

$85 is ridiculously cheap for a 6.0 injector.

The Ford ones retail between $423 and $432 depending on year. Retail pricing, that is.

Here's the pictures that Blown 99 put up but was unable to post:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alliant power is selling new 6.0 injectors for $175-200 depending on source and PN, talk to Larry at STI for the best deal. He ships quickly and you'll have them the next morning.

That injector tester connects similar to a breakout box between the FICM harness and FICM. It watches the movement of the spool when commanded and identifies a stiction problem very well. It is made by Hickok, who is headquartered here in Cleveland. I had several meetings last year with Hickok's CEO, president, VP, and head of technical research, as they wanted my input on various tools that they have in production or being developed. I'm watching the IPT tool with interest as Hickok and IH have a completely different view of this tool than I have. Does it identify a stiction problem? Yes, and quite accurately. I was impressed at the software that went along with it. The problem lies in the fact that they sold this to IH as an INJECTOR tester and feel it will identify bad INJECTORS in all ways. I had a heated debate with them about the fact that at least half of injector failures occur in the barrel/plunger/pintle/nozzle area, and therefore would not show up as failures with their stiction tester. The Hickok honchos would have no part of anyone telling them that their tool would not identify a bad INJECTOR (complete) and dismissed my input as bunk. If IH starts kicking warranty claims on the basis of this tool, or bases injector replacement solely on this tool, a lot of IH techs are going to be screwed.

Hickok also gave me a couple of their scan tools which I was less than impressed with, they did well with the IPT but their scanners are way behind the times. If they don't get on the bandwagon and hire some competent field engineers who know how to use a scan tool they will be soon be history. Anyone who follows the financial papers in Cleveland won't need to be reminded of their state of affairs. It's too bad, because they have been in business selling automotive test equipment since the '20s IIRC.

Posted Image

Navistar will only warranty an injector that fails this test. They know it does not check the fuel side of the injector. This was discussed during the town hall meeting that they held back in December, then I had a bus last week that failed two injectors with the IPT. Something told me there was more going on than the IPT tester told me. I decided to do a deviation test and found two other cylinders/injectors that were not performing well. I contacted tech and explained my concerns and gave them the deviation numbers and was told to only replace the two that the IPT failed as the warranty center is only warrantying those for now. Drilled two injectors into it and sent it on its way. Not up to my par but no one wants to pay for a complete repair.