Head studs for an e-series

Rate this topic

08 e450 been burping up coolant for a while but does'nt overheat. I think it may be head gasket issue. This thing runs non stop pretty much. Did anyone ever put a head stud kit in a eseries or recomend it?

I will say that I've never seen an E-series 6.0 wipe out the head gaskets UNLESS it was a result of something more severe, like extreme overheating or a failed oil cooler or something similar. (Or someone with a tuner of course)

If indeed the head gaskets are bad, I'd bet that there was a catalyst for the failure as opposed to just a regular old 6.0 TRUCK head gasket failure.

On that note - if you're going have the engine out and the heads off, I think it's almost absurd to not at least OFFER head studs to the customer and let them decide what they want to do Posted Image

Dave

Our f series get the typical head gasket concerns, but we never have to pull heads for overheating concerns on the eseries just for those pesty rocker carier seals. Though this one in parrticular though got me wondering. It don't have any turbo issues. Were keeping an eye on it, next time it stops in i'll drive it good and probe eot to ect span and check into it furhter.

• 2 months later...

Reviving this post because this thing rolled in yesterday for an a/c concern. i got a chance to check the eot to ect. They are like 7 deg. apart and this things been running all day in the heat. The bottle was below half full and the the medics say it don't overheat. This thing almost never shuts off exept whrn it comes in for service. Could it be that due to the fact that it's constantly running and on high idle alot that the cooling system pressure is a bit higher than normal?

Reviving this post because this thing rolled in yesterday for an a/c concern. I got a chance to check the eot to ect. They are like 7 deg. apart and this things been running all day in the heat.

EOT/ECT difference means nothing unless you're going down the road either with a load or on the highway. As soon as you throttle down these two numbers nearly parallel. I've never seen a 7 degree spread on the highway, always more, even with a new cooler.

The bottle was below half full and the the medics say it don't overheat. This thing almost never shuts off except when it comes in for service. Could it be that due to the fact that it's constantly running and on high idle a lot that the cooling system pressure is a bit higher than normal?

Yes, that will cause a bit more coolant pressure, but not enough to cause coolant burping. Are there any other complaints, like coolant loss? I'd "tee" in a coolant pressure gauge and go for a hard run. If the coolant pressure jumps up under load, it's 90% head gaskets and 10% EGR cooler. You'll be able to watch your temp spread, too. Another bullshit test you could run quickly in the shop is a coolant sniffer (blue liquid type) in the bottle while someone power brakes it. This might show your problem, too.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

One I just did, the MGP and the PVT (tied into the degas hose) fuckin' near went up TOGETHER....

I had to PRY the heads off the block once I had all the bolts out, and the gaskets were burned to the head and block.

It came in this morning for a pm service. I popoed the hood to check the bottle and it was 1/4 full. I filled it to the cold fill line and did the combustion leak test, the test fluid went from blue to dark green in less than a minute. I put the radikplusa on it and only builds up 16hg vacuum and drops to 14.5 and holds steady. I then pulled the egr cooler pipe to have a look and was dry. I then took it for a nice ten mile hard accelerating drive in the sun and the highest degree difference between ect and eot was 13 degrees on the highway, but most of the drive it was like a 7 to 9 degree difference no matter how hard i got on the throttle. When i got back to the shop i popped the hood and coolant was bubling out of the degas cap, little by little i vented the pressure out by cracking the cap a little at a time and you could see a yellow bubly substance but not oily. Kind of looks like the left over residue after you just cleaned the cooling system for a mixing oil cooler. It has'nt had that foamy stuff since march when another tech flushed the cooling system out. This never had an oil cooler done before. This is weird, it's not overheating. And the weirdest thing is that i did the combustion leak test again and the fluid stayed blue Posted Image.

When i fix my blackbery software, i'm gona post pictures of the soapy residue.

Don't be insulted. After reading, and re-reading this entire thread, I don't think I read anywhere where someone suggested this so I will. Does the fan clutch work? Did this vehicle set the P0528 and/or P0480 DTCs? I've had more than my share of E-Series trucks where the fan clutch was either left unplugged or inoperative, causing the puking issues.

Mike, it don't set fan codes or any codes. It has a yellow sudsy substance oozing from the cap and it never overheats. I was thinking of letting it go for a few days with the coolant level at 1/4 full in the bottle and see what occurs. Not sure what to make of the sudsy coolant, trace oil mixing?

I just got one before, 05 e350 box, it had a wrench lite on tuesday but not on weds and no evident drivability symptoms.

P012f eot/ect correlation and p0404-passes egr test. The bottle's not puking but it is expanding. I drove it good and 20 degee dif between the eot and ect, problobly going to need an oil cooler and egr cooler rite? The temp needle stays in the middle. Pcm is at the latest.

Oh boy, the other tech whom shares the drivability and diag work with me is out sick and will be for quite a while and i'm overwhelmed with sick sixes and other stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that, even without an excessive ECT/EOT spread, a bad oil cooler can still cause degas bottle venting and coolant burping as symptoms. I don't recall the exact reasoning behind the problem but it had something to do with the coolant forming gas/air pockets within the cooler and excess pressure as a result, which leads to intermittent loss of coolant out the bottle.

It's also possible that you've just got a bad cap, hehehe..

Dave

Caps been changed. The heads are off, cyls 3, 5 and 7 are blown out pretty bad. The compression rings are gone on the bottom next to the water jackets.

• 1 month later...

I got it completed on monday and drove it 190 miles over 3 days.

The bottle is nice and dry no more burping. The coolant stays at

the fill line.

Product what ivity?????????? I'm a diesel tech thank god I got a guarantee

Same here but I am always mindful that I need to earn revenue for the company and I do have some good incentives I rarely break 40 but I always try.

If I had a van in for head gaskets it would be a wash. Lastly, our service department is still in agreement not to perform head stud installations for the simple fact that we would then own the engine. We recently had two trucks in that were tuned and now have leaking head gaskets. One turned away and the other I am finishing up on a cash ticket. It's his second set. It is all wrapped up and all I need to do is drop the cab when I return from training on Wed. My productivity is generally killed y being pulled from the job many times or distracted. Bet I don't finish it the day I return.