Stanadyne vs FoMoCO

Rate this topic

The Motorcraft product is 1/3 the cost of Stanadyne Preformance Formula but the Stanadyne product has a cleaner and water emmulsifier in it. I have been selling the Stanadyne product to our customers but the Ford Parts rep is pushing the Cetane/Performance Booster as the cure for the carbon/injector woes of the 6.0L's.

Any input/recommendations would be appreciated.

The Motorcraft product is 1/3 the cost of Stanadyne Performance Formula but the Stanadyne product has a cleaner and water emmulsifier in it. I have been selling the Stanadyne product to our customers but the Ford Parts rep is pushing the Cetane/Performance Booster as the cure for the carbon/injector woes of the 6.0L's.

Any input/recommendations would be appreciated.

OF COURSE the Ford Reps are going to be pushing the Motorcraft product and for what it is supposed to do it is a good product. BUT! The Stanadyne product is superior when you consider the additional additive package it offers all of which is beneficial.

I would offer your customers the choice of both products if they want to shop price and I don't see a problem with using the Ford product as the biggest issue these engines face is the poor ignition quality that low cetane fuel causes. Remember, poor fuel/ignition quality increases soot, performance concerns, elevated fuel/crankcase vapors, loaded EGR valves and aftertreatment systems. Personally I would recommend the Stanadyne additive.

And by the way, you stated that the Stanadyne product has a water emulsifier which is incorrect and vitally important if you are making a point to a customer. It has special demulsifiers cause tiny water droplets to come out of suspension/emulsion, so the filter/separator can more effectively remove water

Are you sure the Stanadyne has a water emulsifier in it? All OEMS have TSBs not to use alcohol based (water emulsifiers) in modern diesels. I was under the impression Stanadyne did not have a water emulsifier in it. Their website states: "Helps Remove Water - special demulsifiers cause tiny water droplets to come out of suspension/emulsion, so the filter/separator can more effectively remove water"

The Ford rep is probably getting pressure from above to sell the stuff, or a $ incentive, or their stock is getting old and dated.....

I don't know where you're getting your prices, but using math I don't get 1/3 the cost. PM22A or PM23A are both $7.89 at our local dealer and they treat 125 gallons. Stanadyne is $6.70 and treats 60 gallons. That means to treat the same 125 gallons costs $7.89 from Ford and about $13.94 from Stanadyne. I can't find the PM22s sold in larger volumes, either, and Stanadyne is available in much larger sizes for better discounts. I see PM22 sold on the internet cheaper but there will be shipping involved.

What are you selling it for? Maybe Larry will chime in with a better price for the bigger sizes, STI quoted me the $6.70 for the small bottle over the phone. I need to know this stuff to tell my students.....

I've used Stanadyne products for decades and bet money on their performance. I'm sure the Motorcraft stuff is good, but I'll still take the Stanadyne. Many times there's a reason for high/low pricing on competitive products, and you get what you pay for.

I have many true stories to tell about Stanadyne products- some of my fleets are buying it in 55 gal drums and adding it when the UST are filled.

Have a great weekend!

Posted Image

We sell the '1 Shot' bottles for $4.50 ea, discount if they buy a case. The larger bottles do not move, the people like the small bottles. It works out to a little over 2X as much as the Motorcraft stuff. My bad on the water terminology, DE-emmulsifier, it makes the water droplets bigger.

I had egr valve trouble in my 06' the first 15,000 miles and I was using the Ford fuel additive. I read about the stanadyne additive at my local fuel shop while waiting for my parts, I than heard Bruce and a few of the other guys raving about stanadyne here on the site. I went out and bought a few of the "one shot" bottles and tried it. I found my mileage improved a little, and it started a bit quicker. I now buy the gallon jugs and pour them into the "one shot" bottles. I now have close to 50,000 miles on the truck and not one egr valve problem since I switched to stanadyne. I would pay three times as much for the stanadyne, absolutely the best product I have ever used.

Wev'e been using it almost a year now. We hardly see inj failures and much less egr valves. We add it to the fueltank when the truck comes to fill it.

I will pour in a bottle of (is it?) PM23??? when the TSB says to.... I have used stanadyne... we stock it and sell it over the counter.. I don't recall it ever having a water emulsifier in it (indeed, I believe it DOES contain a dispersant), but I don't make a practice of dumping shit in customers vehicles. (Visit the Tunap thread).

FWIW, the EGR baffle is a joke.

Egr baffle, we got one unit that gos through egr valves every month and sometimes 2 in a month. This thing stays running at least 22 hrs a day-mostly idling. Ever since i put a baffle kit in it it has'nt thrown a single egr code. It's been in for other stuff like a float problem and a glowplug harness but no egr concerns so far, and for the span of time the egr was'nt changed on this unit, i'd say the egr kit has helped. Also we give bottles of sten to the crews to put in it with fill ups because that diesel they get in manhattan is crap.

• 4 months later...

I was using stanadyne up here for a while, then tried PM22A. Both of them appeared to do the same for me. Neither product was helping us with extreme carbon buildup due to very excessive idling. I am told by my superiors that engine shutdown will not be considered so I kept looking until I found Complete Fuel System Treatment by Enertech Labs. This has stopped my carbon buildup issues in their tracks. 3 oz. to a tankful (if the operators use it).

http://www.enertechlabs.com/

I can't find the PM22s sold in larger volumes,

Bought a GALLON of PM22 or PM23 (I can't remember which number it is. Cetane and performance improver) last week at work.

It's also available in a 55gal drum, if I recall corretly.

PM-22-something... I thought BSU was the gallon but it's Single Use... hence the SU.

https://www.powerstrokediesel.com/docs/Fuel%20Additive%20Info%20Sheet.pdf

Sez in there it's available by the gallon now.

Stanadyne pricing as follows. These are all at case pricing.

38564 8oz. treats 30gal $3.97

38565 Pint treats 60gal $6.85

38566 1/2gal treats 250gal $23.83

38567 5gal treats 2500gal $195.72

38568 55gal treats 27500gal $1959.37

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

anyone ever look at msds for these various additives? basically standadyne contains everything pm-22a and pm-23a does plus more.

diesel kleen does not come out and directly say whats in their formula but i do see the addition of xylene on there msds