making 6.0 more relible

Rate this topic

mtuttle43

This crowd generally frowns upon defeating emissions components or aftermarket tunes. But personally I'm a believer in ARP head studs and the 3C3Z-9T517-AG fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure and keep the injectors alive.

Negligible, I would imagine. Simple heat transfer principles, on paper would to me indicate a little bit longer timeframe to get the cooler to it's proper operating characteristics, but once it was there, performance would be on-par with the original equipment cooler.

I would have a great deal of interest in comparing one with an Ontario Drive Clean Opacity Test.

The other interesting characteristic of the bulletproof one is the fact that the late-style cooler uses the same style of 'guts' as the early style one, which would lead me to believe that the tailpipe emissions would be quite similar to those from a truck equipped with the original equipment cooler.

Less the antifreeze being pumped out the pipe, or running out of the drain hole in the muffler onto the highway. Posted Image

I do aftermarket stuff on the side and believe firmly in egr deletes and head studs. Upgraded fuel systems are a plus also. What some of these guys don't understand is it doesn't matter what aftermarket parts you put on it comes down to maintanence on these engines. Its not good for emissions but who wants dirt going back into the engine? Thats pretty much what EGR is. I think the technology with the new motor has changed to the point where EGR won't be that big of a problem. I hope not anyway.

Way it all comes down to it though is it's a federally mandated emissions device, and whether we like it or not we've gotta maintain the attitude of it's gotta be on there.

I agree with you the EGR system is problematic, but it does also lower NOx emissions and help alleviate smog. Your statement about the dirt in the engine is correct also, and removal of this stuff DOES help with some dirt issues.

I worked at a place where all of the emissions controls are deleted for the factor of reliability, due to CONSTANT idle time. Stuff would carbon up so bad it wouldn't even run.

As Jim and some others have said on a hot rod or something that isn't driven every day emissions controls are not really of a huge concern.

If a guy can write a tune for a truck, with emissions controls defeated/removed so the emissions are comparable to a truck with all the controls intact, then that's all good, but I'm not a hundred percent sure it's possible.

As for the head studs, I think it's widely accepted that that's THE fix for the 6.0. Except, of course, for Ralph.

I also think that with a little bit of a change in the principles of system operation on the 6.0's EGR system, a lot of the problems could be avoided. EGR should NOT be on at idle. EGR should also not be on when the EGT is below a certain range.

Also, the ONLY coolers that should be used are the early style 03 coolers that are a lot less prone to failure than the later style ones.

I'm not trying to start any pissing matches, I know some guys are pretty passionate about removing emissions controls, but a lot of times it's for all the wrong reasons.

I have a lot less problems with a guy that is tampering with emissions devices from a reliability or maintenance standpoint, rather than adding a 350hp tune to make the thing huff out so much black smoke you can't see around it at an intersection.

I'm going to limit my comments to the EGR delete.... While this "feature" s problematic, never-the-less it is required by so many laws... by coomon sense and by our respect for each other as human beings sharing a common goal (having a planet that can support our grandchildren... and now, with the news from my son - I now have something... someONE on the way into our world... Yep... GrampyJim is going to be very Grampy).

You young'uns don't recall the problems from the 60's and 70's. Every evening, the TV would feature smog reports from Los Angeles, Tokyo... other major centers... Even today, driving to Edmonton, I an see the dome over the city from nearly 100 km away... the dome brought to us from emissions.

A question... what is the exact purpose of the EGR system....

Another question... if it comes down to dirt going back into the engine or dirt going into my lungs... who do you think is going to win?

Look at it this way.... I'm not just trying to protect my soon to be grandchild... I am trying to protect YOUR grandchildren too.

Mandated emissions controls are mandated emissions controls... Breaking the law is breaking the law.

FWIW... I do toys... I do lots of toys... Been two years since we ran the Charger... the "vette and the Viper are both bone stock...

The Viper is for sale.... 2006 and less than 2000 on the clock.

pics will come later.

I do it from a reliability stand point also. I helped a friend build a diesel pulling truck. Its a 6.0 and yes the egr is gone but the thing hardly ever sees the street. I'm young I use to be all about the smoke but I personally can't stand it anymore. Doesn't impress me any just money going out the tailpipe. The biggest problem I have is they(government) are killing the automotive industry in my opinion of course. I'm not old enough to remember the smog days and all that stuff. Do I want the air cleaner? Yes but you are killing the reliability of automobiles by doing so especially diesel trucks. They say all this global warming is caused by automobiles. Pretty sure mother nature lets off a pretty good share if not more of pollutants into the air than us humans. Are we putting caps or egr systems on volcanos? Umm nope. I'm not trying to fight but I want my six leaker to last for a long time so I did what I felt neccesary legal or not to make it do so. I'm not trying to start an argument which I prolly already have but thats just my .02. The part about hot rodding that makes me the most upset is when a customer knows what they are doing when it comes to modifying their truck and then expecting ford to pay for it. My famous saying is you have to pay to play but my service manager doesn't seem to care thats another topic all together.

I did what I felt necessary legal or not to make it do so.

And violating federal law with a $10,000 fine for each violation is of no concern for you? Nor the pollution, which is now many times the allowable limits?

Thanks for caring about the world we live in.

Posted Image

I am not in favor of emissions hardware removal or defeating.

I'm in Texas and the number of these trucks on the road here is enormous.

The people I know that have removed or plugged EGR are not doing it because they are mean or uncaring, they do it because bad emissions equipment causing thousands of dollars in repairs is placing the cost of their contribution to clean air far above what can reasonably be expected to be borne by one owner.

The decision to go cheaper and not fit the round tube cooler to later trucks was not done with owner's or the environment in mind.

I'm in Texas and the number of these trucks on the road here is enormous.

The people I know that have removed or plugged EGR are not doing it because they are mean or uncaring, they do it because bad emissions equipment causing thousands of dollars in repairs is placing the cost of their contribution to clean air far above what can reasonably be expected to be borne by one owner.

It's not the owner's place to decide what emission controls they want on their vehicles by price or failure rate. It's still a legal crime and a crime against nature to disable emission controls.

Using your philosophy opens up a huge can of worms- you mean that federal laws should be taken only as a suggestion and can be abided or ignored as one sees fit?

If they can't afford to replace EGR coolers, then they can't afford to drive a 6.0 and should be driving a gasser.

Posted Image

Will removing all the smog equipment stop the roller lifters from blowing up?

I guess when the motor stops running that is the ultimate in emission controls.

I guess when the motor stops running that is the ultimate in emission controls.

I beg to differ....If it tosses a rod out through the side of the block, it's gonna leak oil on the ground, thus polluting the earth some more Posted Image

But it it grinds slowly to a halt, because the lifters have chewed all the lobes off the camshaft...it might not pollute AS bad....but these things do all leak. Posted Image

Will removing all the smog equipment stop the roller lifters from blowing up?

No, but proper service will help that. The roller issue doesn't exsist just on the 6.0, I've had plenty of failures on all of the big 3's engines.

Is that the return-type fuel system that uses the plugs on the back of the head as returns and allows full flow through the head?

So why is it ok for us and our friends to pollute the environment in excess of legal standards, but not for the evil corporations? Is heart disease, cancer, and asthma different if it comes from my "buddy's" truck?

So why is it ok for us and our friends to pollute the environment in excess of legal standards, but not for the evil corporations? Is heart disease, cancer, and asthma different if it comes from my "buddy's" truck?

It is not okay. I like Bruce's response in that it is not legal to remove emissions devices, or even modify them and it is not up to the vehicle owner NOR is it up to us. If "we" are going to be talking out both sides of our mouths then we deserve to be called on it. When one of us gets caught doing it we ALL look like assholes.

If you look at what is going on in the aftermarket and in the various forums on the Internet this is becoming an epidemic. This is one issue where Federal and State lawmakers and law enforcement need to step things up. Well heck, everything is green this and green that when politicians throw politically correct buzz-words around. Looks to me like there are some loopholes that need to be closed.

I am beginning to think that diesel engines should be subject to annual emissions inspection just like gasoline powered vehicles are. And for that matter, it is quite possibly time for technicians to be certified to be able to work as well. No certification? No workie on cars and trucks or a steep fine if caught doing so. I think that with that hanging over the heads of some technicians they might think twice before disabling, removing or otherwise modifying emissions devices on ANY vehicle. Apparently holding the vehicle owners liable or even catching them isn't working. Or is that too drastic?

they do it because bad emissions equipment causing thousands of dollars in repairs is placing the cost of their contribution to clean air far above what can reasonably be expected to be borne by one owner.

I can't stifle myself any more...

They chose to drive one of these trucks... for that, they get all the baggage that comes with the truck. It isn't about how many dollars we spend in defence of the environment.... It is about the environmental "footprint" we leave in our wake. To suggest that someone driving a gross polluter should have some mystical "cost cap" after which he can just turn into a pig is.... is..... is... phuque!!! I'm at a loss for a word!!!

We have rules, regulations, laws and accepted industry standards and practices. If we don't adhere to these, who will?

Imagine going to a hospital and meeting this kind of anarchy.

And for that matter, it is quite possibly time for technicians to be certified to be able to work as well. No certification? No workie on cars and trucks or a steep fine if caught doing so. I think that with that hanging over the heads of some technicians they might think twice before disabling, removing or otherwise modifying emissions devices on ANY vehicle. Apparently holding the vehicle owners liable or even catching them isn't working. Or is that too drastic?

We have that in Ontario, actually in most of Canada for that matter.

The enforcement for working on stuff without a ticket is pretty lax, however. They seldom police it.

I'd post a picture, but I have my certificate on my toolbox, as REQUIRED BY LAW in Ontario.

There is also inter-provincial seals, but it used to mean something. Now, everyone that gets a PASS grade gets a red inter-provincial seal.