2000 E-150 hard starting.

Rate this topic

robp823

2000 E-150 with a 6 cylinder.Vehicle has already had a fuel pump thrown at it and a crank sensor at another dealer.Then they told him there was a short somewhere.When the vehicle sits for long periods of time it will just crank and crank and crank.If you cycle the key a bunch of times i noticed that the service engine soon light isnt illuminating on the dash.But when you finally get it to the vehicle fires right up.Then it cranks and runs fine.But if you let it sit for a long time like three hours it will act up again.No codes.Anyone had similar problems.Pcm poer relay is clicking as soon as you turn the key on.Im gonna check powers and grounds but could this be a proccessor going to shit?

Relay clicks = the coil of the relay is good... The contacts of the relay haven't been tested yet. By all means, check powers and grounds at the PCM but do not assume that because a relay clicks that it is "good". If you have a "known good" tester...... how long does that take?

I'm with the others- if the CEL light isn't working, the PCM is either bad or has dirty power. Does it have Case Ground in datalogger? It should read dead on 0.00v. If not, it may have a bad PCM ground.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Clean power...like the others said.

Where is the PCM located on this heap? I haven't worked on a gasoline E-series in quite some time?

One of the problems with swapping relays is Fords penchant for piggybacking them. One relay will turn on another... swap the wrong two relays and the problem shifts slightly but doesn't go away.