quick disconnect P/s line....? my arse!

Rate this topic

Yepper...thats what i thought too Kieth...guy i work with is doing an '08 p/s pump,had me ask u'z guys if there was a way...i told him i didn't wanna sound like a dumbass,'cause it's apparent there is no such thing as a quick disconnect to this line(never has been),damage to line is most definetly likely to occur....

Thanks for the quick reply Kieth...u r da man Posted Image

It isn't a "quick-DISCONNECT", but a "quick-CONNECT" ..... on the assembly line that is, and one time only. But I'm sure you must've figured that one out already.

As an unwanted result of a recent lawsuit, Al Harrington is in possession of hundreds of pallets of crudely painted not so funny plywood cutout folk art, and it's just waiting to transform your uncut, trashed lawn into a living canvass that tells passers by "Hey everyone! A real funny bugger lives here!"

AFAIK, the pumps we get are 'new'. I would think that we get the pumps the way they are delivered to the assembly line... that guy gets to push the existing line into the pump.... We don't. Ergo, it is cheaper for Ford to ship the pumps with the manufacturer installed fitting in place and have us remove it for free than it is for them to hire someone to remove it for us...

Not that I'm being facetious or anything....

Not so much a "quick" disconnect, but years ago I installed a pressure line on a Taurus SHO. Started the engine up, turned the wheel to lock, and promptly blew the line out of the fitting. Got another line, snaked it in there, tighened it up, and blew that one off too.

Turns out that the awkward angle of my wrench allowed the face of my wrench to remain in contact with the 90 degree block at the end of the line. As I tightened the fitting into the pump, it slowly pulled the fitting away from the end of the line. A little hydraulic pressure finished the job.

Being young and naive, I slapped another line in it, expecting a different result. After the second line blew, and I discovered the cause, I simply snapped the line back into the fitting.

If that car is still on the road, it probably has that same line still on it...

Not so much a "quick" disconnect, but years ago I installed a pressure line on a Taurus SHO. Started the engine up, turned the wheel to lock, and promptly blew the line out of the fitting. Got another line, snaked it in there, tighened it up, and blew that one off too.

Turns out that the awkward angle of my wrench allowed the face of my wrench to remain in contact with the 90 degree block at the end of the line. As I tightened the fitting into the pump, it slowly pulled the fitting away from the end of the line. A little hydraulic pressure finished the job.

Being young and naive, I slapped another line in it, expecting a different result. After the second line blew, and I discovered the cause, I simply snapped the line back into the fitting.

If that car is still on the road, it probably has that same line still on it...

Now that you have mentioned THAT particular car, it will be sitting on your service lot on Monday morning when you arrive at work, for something RUDE to fix...so on an SHO, that means pretty much....everything....

Posted Image

Now that you have mentioned THAT particular car, it will be sitting on your service lot on Monday morning when you arrive at work, for something RUDE to fix...so on an SHO, that means pretty much....everything....

Posted Image

Speaking of Taurus SHOs, anyone ever remember the outrageous price for an engine for one of those puppies? I'm referring to the ones of 1996 to 1997 vintage with the 3.4L V8 engines. I vaguely recall something like $25,000. Posted Image

Never had the pleasure of ever having to quote one of those hunks of shit out, but now I am going to have to -- and I come across this 11 minutes after my parts department closes for the day. LOL.

Ah well. The drinking heavily, she begins!

Yeah, 25k for a v8 sho sounds about right. And the look on the face of they guy with the piece of aluminum block in his hand when you tell him that, priceless.

And then he asks how much it would cost to put a regular engine in it's place.

Ok...what the heck u gotta do to get the quick disconnect line out of the fitting on the p/s pump...? WTf? Posted Image

I did get one off once because the line nut had the corners rounded off it. It was on my own 87 Ranger(long gone now). I had a new nut from another job, so I carefully, so as not to damage the line, cut the nut with a hacksaw in 2 places until I could break it off the line. I was then able to insert the line in the new nut-already screwed into the pump with a ratchet and socket, so as not to round the nut off again. This is to be considered a last-ditch effort, as damage to the line is possible if you are not careful enough. Quick disconnect?-not, but removeable yes. Posted Image