What do you do away from work? PART 2

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

ever since i bought a mig learning how to weld has peaked my interest, it's not that i don't like working on vehicles but I like being able fabricate when necessary(that should be the least of my concerns in a dealership). i've made more than a few tools and fixed a lot of exhaust problems

I'm thinking of taking a semester of welding at my local community college, not to change careers but to expand my skill level. I'm wondering how taking a night class will affect my work during the day, though.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that at the community college in our area there is night courses for welding. It's usually every wednesday night for 6 or 8 weeks and it lasts from 6pm - 10pm so it doesn't really have any effect on work. Check into it.

If your only taking 1 class at night it should be easy. Taking 2 or more while working full time is when it starts cutting into your life. I have been in college 1/2 time for a few years and depending on the class's I'm in, it can be a real pain. English 341 was miserable, but most career class's arent that hard and have little homework. I was in a welding class couple years ago and it was cake, bit of reading but not too bad. One of the easiest class's I have taken. Too bad all welding isnt as easy as the controlled environment of a classroom where you can afford to make mistakes and always have optimal conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Like many others, I too have home renovations that slowly get done. Have 2 kids under 11, so they keep me busy. In my free time I get in a little "Pirates of the Caribbean" online gaming fun. The rest of the time we plan our next trip to Disneyworld, which hopefully should be this sept./oct. I can't wait. I also read. Stephen King mostly, currently reading a series by Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time. Currently on book 10, 3 more to go.

How is the Wheel of Time series? I listen to audiobooks on my way to and from work (one hour each way) because it beats the hell out of NPR. But I'm between books now, and have thought about that series...

It's a good series, but long. 13 books in total. Plus there is a prequal out also, haven't read that yet. At times it does seem to drag on. There are so many characters that impact the story it can get hard to keep track of everyone. The audio books may be the way to go on this series, you won't get tempted to skip over stuff as I have done in the past.

How is the Wheel of Time series? I listen to audiobooks on my way to and from work (one hour each way) because it beats the hell out of NPR. But I'm between books now, and have thought about that series...

I too have an hour drive each way to work. I subscribe to Sirius and find it much better than NPR but they do tend to have alot of repeats on certain stations (usually the music stations, not so much the chat stations). Lately I have it turned off though, currently listening to "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy". Pretty great audio book to listen to.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

SBC TH400 205 case, correct(question mark - fuckin keyboard....)

Close

Close, motor(TBI) and trans is correct. No 205 though Im running a Atlas II case with 4.3 reduction.

Axles are a Ford HP front 60 with Reid knuckles, RCV CV shafts, detroit locker and 5.13 gears. Rear is a 14bolt with a detroit

Tires are a 40" goodyear MTR comp compound so hopefully it will climb upside down if I so desire. Building it to go a little fast too Posted Image

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Digging this up so I don't have to start a new thread. Last night I did something I haven't done in a while. Both kids had homework, the wife was at work, not a lot to do around the house. So I threw Skyrim in the old XBOX 360 and played for about 3 1/2 hours. Sometimes it's good to just get away from the grind stone and have some mindless fun on a hack and slash game. 

Went for a ride last night with some guys from work on my vintage 1978 Honda 550 four. When we stop people walk right by the Harleys and Can Am and go straight to my old bike to ask about it. Makes the other guys cranky. The bike has been in my family for 31 years.

I'm about done fishing for the year atleast in the boat that is.  I'd like to do some late season trout fishing in october.  I love walking streams to get away from it all, when the trout are all gone there's always smallmouth bass to fill their places.  Most places are unbothered if there's not a road nearby.  For bass in streams I will seine my own baitfish to use.  It gives you a distinct advantage.   

Then of course I'm still teaching myself to TIG weld usually on weekdays for a couple hours after work.  Argon is not free though and you go through more gas than any other weld process.  TIG is very costly for just a hobby but winter is coming and I'll be going stir crazy after the first month. 

Here's me in the blue car (406 SBC, pump gas) and a dude I went to trade school with (71 Chevelle, 572" big block Chevy) at the drag strip on Labor Day test and tune.

Best pass I put down was 11.64 @ 116. Air wasn't right, and the carb needs some adjustment. Fun for a street car though.

One more secret and I'm done.  Reloading ammo is something I've been doing for a few years now but recently I haven't been able to find the time to shoot.  I'm sitting on about 800 rounds I've loaded my own and more components than I know what to do with.  The rifle here is my Savage 12 VLP 22-250 wearing a custom barrel, trigger and bed job.  I've used it in the past to compete in my clubs score matches but anymore I just shoot it now and then.

22-250 sinclair rest.jpg