intermittent p2290 advise

Rate this topic

ive got an 06 setting a p2290, i havent caught it doing anything out of the ordinary, starts up fine hot and cold, ive already replaced ipr and came back after about 170 miles, could it possibly have a high pressure oil leak, ipr duty cycle is 22% at hot idle, any advise would be helpfull

Did you air leak test the high pressure oil system?

I would look closely at the wires of the ipr connector, see if the insulation is not cracked and the wires stuck together.

• 3 weeks later...

yup railplugs/standtube or stc fitting leak most likely.

take it out in the parking lot and put your foot on the floor to get that oil temp in the 220 degree range. let it hot soak for 5-10mins and It will act up. air check it and go after your leak. depending on vehicle/miles/customer I typically do both STF fitting and standtubes/plugs(new kit) to make sure it does not come back. Its just a matter of when not if.

In fact,2005,2006,2007 you can get problem with that one.

E-van before 08 i've seen that to, but after 08 i don't know if they solve the problem at the factory.

Yeah, 05 and up they can blow apart on. I think the 09 and 10 E-series vans come with it installed already, but I'm not sure on the 08's. I think the 08's may have had the bracket installed on them, I'm not 100 percent sure though.

• 2 months later...

just thought I would throw out something I found extremely useful.

I work at a Ford store and we came up with a really neat tool. We have the old ROTUNDA EVAP tester sitting in the corner growing dust. We took and replaced the line with 500 PSI line, then plumbed in some snap air fittings and then we dump 400-500 psi to the oil rails. It WILL show you a leak. has worked flawless for the past 4 or so years and nitrogen is pretty cheap.

The one peice fitting is installed in production engines starting from:

V8 engines: Engine ser# 431736 on 2/9/07.

V6 engines: Engine ser# 431705 on 2/8/07.

Thanks, excellent info.

Is this from a ssm? Tsb? I don't recall reading this anywhere...