Opinions of the escape

Rate this topic

dieseldoc

In the market for a new vehicle for the wife. Her pick-up is about to give up the ghost soon. She has been looking at cars and vehicles over the last year or so. She has decided that she likes the looks and features of the escape. We have not test drove or looked at any in detail. I am looking for your opinions on the vehicle as well as their frequency of trips to your doors, common things a guy should look for. Before I spend a lot of time looking for one and checking them out I would like to know if they are" not one of fords better designs", if you know what I mean. We will be looking at used ones, a couple years old and less than 50,000 miles. As always thanks for the info and opinions.

Not too problematic besides the trans cooler leaks which is now a recall on the 08s. If it has contenental tires I would toss those suckers right away before they seperate. For the amount of them that are on the road around here we dont see to many major failures. But if you plan on doing any long distance driving you may want to consider something else I find the escapes are very loud with wind and road noise.

My ex wife has a 2006 she likes it. Needs to be rid of the Continental tires, but other than that it's ok.

Oh, that and the 9oz of weight on the LF wheel.... Posted Image

Not too problematic besides the trans cooler leaks which is now a recall on the 08s. If it has contenental tires I would toss those suckers right away before they seperate. For the amount of them that are on the road around here we dont see to many major failures. But if you plan on doing any long distance driving you may want to consider something else I find the escapes are very loud with wind and road noise.

Exactly as he stated. I can only add that front ABS wheel speed exciter rings like to crack on these, but not really a big deal to repair. Like already posted, the '08s like to leak the trans fluid coolers which is now already a recall (and should have been much sooner IMO). '09 and later, they moved the trans fluid leaks to the case half/axle seals. There is now also a recall for '09 and later, regarding calibration for the TCM and overhaul if necessary as well.

Also like already posted above, if you get an '08 or older model year, get rid of the crappy Continental tires. I always push for the Michelins that are on '09 and up models, even on the older Escapes.

We have several customers with older ones, a few V6s have puked cats after having failing coils. That gets really expensive, fast.

We've got one customer with a 2004 limited V6, she's got 160k on it. Nothing except rear shocks early on. Otherwise just fluids and filters done every 30k or so and the plugs and boots at 100k. Brakes 130k all around. The Contis lasted 94k with only the tread wearing to the bars evenly across. I guess she was lucky.

Conti's are great. I get to keep the takeoffs and put them on my old truck till they are good and worn out. I'll live with some noise for free tires. The Escapes are ok too. The new rear driveshaft seems ro get rid of the 55mph vibration that some had, and keep the tailgate latch lubed so the rattling doesn't drive you crazy.

Well thanks for all the input guys. She spotted one at my preferred dealership. Hopefully I will get done with work early enough on saturday that we can make the 60 mile drive to check it out in person and maybe go for a drive. I talked to a few people with escapes here and they had no real complaints about them either. It is an 06' with a v6 and 40,000 miles on it. Looks really clean and in good shape from the pics on their website. It has the continental tires on it, but tires are easily replaced I suppose. Who knows maybe they are worn enough we can work them into the deal or something.

Sounds like the one the ex just bought.

As Mike mentioned, tone rings are problematic as well but now there's an approved repair for just the ring, so we don't have to buy the rear rngs any more and pound them off the wheel to use them on the fronts.

Mike (different Mike, the guy that works down the hall from me at work) has had very few of these apart for any major repairs. He does all the gasoline heavy line/engine work. The 08's are a little more problematic than the earlier ones, engine wise. There's some cylinder head tapping noise issues as well as the trans cooler deal.

We had our first 09/10 (can't remember the year) 10B15 victim this week that actually failed the load test and needed a rebuild. So far so good for the rest of 'em.