Unintended accelleration, 6,4 ambulance

Rate this topic

Guy e-mailed me about 3 of 4 ambulances (military) F350s that have experienced WOT (his words)unintended. I told him I would research it. I asked him if there was any add on "Idle bumpers". I havent heard back yet, so.....I'm just looking if anyone has run into this yet?

Only one I have seen with this concern was grossly over-filled with oil. I drained at least 10gal. out of the crankcase as well as 4-5 qts out of the CAC it self. So I'd start there first.

I figured at least that. Not sure how efficient their "mechanics" are about monitoring oil levels, just getting a head start on everything.

While we're on the subject of "unintended acceleration", how many shops have CO2 extinguishers for "runaway suppression"?

The United States Federal Government has declared carbon dioxide to be a greenhouse gas contributing to global warming. CO2 extinguishers will soon become illegal.

Posted Image

Next they will outlaw dry chem extinguishers because the powder can be a respiratory hazard...

FWIW, I still have a Halon 1211 extinguisher for any kitchen mishaps at home (production was banned back in the 90s as part of the Montreal Accord - but it's use has not yet been outlawed - at least not in North America). Halotron 1 is it's replacement but breathing apparatus is recommended making it unsuitable for our purposes.

One will have to wait and see how the CO2 ban will be enacted before getting overly concerned. But being able to deny a runaway engine its O2 is still going to be a priority in my book.

But being able to deny a runaway engine its O2 is still going to be a priority in my book.

F that - getting the hell away as quickly as possible is priority #1 over here. If I have to choose between taking a possible chunk of engine block to the groin or sitting back and letting the thing die out on it's own - hand me the popcorn please.

I know if there were a shop manager and someone prevented a runaway by choking the engine out, he'd obviously be glad that a disaster was avoided. By the same token, if the tech was injured during the process, he'd be chewing him out for not getting the fuck out of there, lol.

Dave

Like anything else, a cool head will be needed. If a fire broke out, who would bail and who would grab an extinguisher?

Comfort level is going to be the deciding factor. I used to spend my spare time running INTO burning buildings... Sadly, my comfort level with ladders got to the point where I couldn't operate effectively any more.

Four stories is about as high as we get here in Slave... I don't think we have any ground that will let you go higher (this used to be part of the "great inland sea" back when we were deciding what colour we should make dirt... fucking Moses stole my lunch money, the bahstuhd) and I don't think anyone (other than drilling rigs) has gone deep enough to find bedrock.

Our fire department recently got their first ladder truck (our tax dollars at work) but what slowly got me was our old Bangor ladder. This isn't the one we had but it's the same deal... the higher you get, the whiter your knuckles.. Yes, the top rung is nearly 50 feet away.

The beginning of the end, I think, would be the evening we were practicing... I was about 2/3 the way up - full gear and SCBA with a limp 2.5 inch hose over my shoulder... and someone accidentally charged the line - damned near changed my laundry schedule.

Posted Image