repair ?

Rate this topic

just a little repair question before i go ape *hit on the tech,.

will any of you or have any of you cut a fan shroud in half to do any repair on a 6.0?

i was pullin a trailer and blew my turbo and coolers all at the same time.stranded 300 miles away had to take it in to a unknown tech for repair.tech told me that this is normal.

i have had this truck apart many times and not one time did they cut to access.

Wow... this is a loaded question... There are "cut lines" near the top of the shroud as well as precast holes for screws.

Having said that, I have only ever cut one... the first one I did back in ought3. T'was then I discovered that the shroud would come out in it's entirety easier than cutting.

So... did the tech cut it neatly and leave the job looking neat? Or did he hack it like a drunken butcher? If the guy was unfamiliar with the SuperDuty and the PSD, perhaps a tow truck might have been the better option?

At any rate, coming uncunted on somebody isn't usually a viable tactic and usually gets counterproductive results..... Being tactful might get you a new shroud or at least future considerations.

back in the day(2003) you where instructed to cut the shroud. It was in the WSM as such. I did one accordingly and after I was dont I felt bad cause it looked like shit(I made it neat) but still. I would be pissed if a tech did that to my truck. shortly after I figured out how to get the shroud out without cutting. very easy and the standard practice we all use now

Must be an indy shop. Only one was ever cut at our shop-the very first one. As others have posted, it used to be in the manual, and was mentioned in the 6.0 Fordstar(satellite)course broadcast to Ford techs when the 6.0 was introduced. After cutting that one, the tech noticed it really wasn't required and the techs here have never cut another one. Posted Image

You can add me to list of techs who have only ever cut ONE, and that would be the first one for me. I think by now, it should be very clear cut and dry what the answer is.

I see you're from Michigan, you didn't perhaps have this repaired at Auto-Trend or Stellar Enterprises, LLC, did you?

Was the "tech's" name Rex Umney?

I see you're from Michigan, you didn't perhaps have this repaired at Auto-Trend or Stellar Enterprises, LLC, did you?

Was the "tech's" name Rex Umney?

no.at this point im holding back on location as im waiting on a answer.

thanks, so much for all your input.

Actually, Dave, (hey, did anyone here see "2001 A Space Odyssey"? When HAL9000 said "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that".) the online WSMs have all been amended to remove the "cutting of the shroud" ceremony. However, 2004 is still old enough that someone might have a print manual with it's "too bad so sad" edict.

Sidebar... anyone check out i-ATN and it's constant barrage of "I'm too cheap to buy manuals" help requests?

Having said all that, it is beginning to look like people should be friggin' happy to get their cars back running the way some people relate their repair experience....

You can add me to the list of people who cut the first one they ever removed. Afterwards, I realized that it is just as easy (if not easier) to remove it in one piece... So I have never cut one since... But have seen several come through my bay that have been cut prior.

I have never cut a single shroud. This is surely because I didn't actually read the service manual... to remove a fucking shroud?

There! I said it. I can hear it now... Jim cracking his knuckles as he leans over his keyboard. Posted Image

Never bothered to cut one, just looked like if I finagled it enough it would come out, and sure enough, it did.

I like taking ones out that have been cut, and nobody bothered to screw them together.

I too have never cut one, and like Keith, due to the main fact is I didn't read the WSM. Seen plenty that were cut, some nicely and others........ well lets just leave it at that Posted Image

Don't remember what a rad costs, but on the class 8 side a 200-300 dollar shroud usually will cost the owner 2000-3000 for a new rad and possibly a CAC, not to mention a new fan blade and belt/s. I see this everyday with fan blades. Even on the F-series trucks. My fan blades sales have went thru the roof lately......

no matter now, towed a trailer today and turbo started squeeling again. so i unhooked trailer went and got a gauge and my oil temp was 40 degrees higher than ect.he said he could not get the soot out of the degas bottle but the oil cooler didnt seem to have any trouble.new dealer new tech, monday.thanks again for the info.

I have never cut a single shroud. This is surely because I didn't actually read the service manual... to remove a fucking shroud?

There! I said it. I can hear it now... Jim cracking his knuckles as he leans over his keyboard. Posted Image

I'll be one of the first to admit to avoid reading the WSM at times... And one basic truth in life is that there's a chance you should have read it when you didn't and you shouldn't have read it when you did.

The WSM is chock full of very good info... not to mention the warnings and caveates in each section (the stuff in bold print that keeps us from having one of those "oh my fuuuuuuuck" moments. At the same time, we can get into the WSM and the blinders go on... we are going to follow that manual no matter what our senses are telling us (no matter how hard your "spidey sense is tingling").

The solution? Even for things you do EVERY DAY, it doesn't hurt to refer to the manual before you begin...

Trick question - what is the factory approved method for installing the wheels on a Super Duty?