a/m headgaskets

Rate this topic

I m working on a 6.0 at home for a friend. It needs headgaskets and coolers. I figured while it was down I would install new stc fitting and replace all the hp oil seals. I am studing and considering using black onyx headgaskets. I am tring to find some first hand knowledge on them. If I cannot find any good info on them I am going to oem gaskets.

I don't think the gasket is the real problem on the 6.0.

The crapy strech bolt is the real problem.

Put ARP stud on is engine with OEM gasket and you will be fine.

The stud doesn't strech and keep the head in place under hard driving Posted Image

If worst comes to worst, you can send your heads out and have them ringed. We did an early build many years ago... I can't remember how much boost the owner was running... but 50 PSI sounds close.

If you don't think a little hammer will work - you can use a really fucking big one....

But, like people are saying.... ARP studs is going to be all a stock or mild truck is going to need.

This bringing us back to the 'wiener' debacle...

Which I just came across in my toolbox the other day, and I will post when I get a good buzz on.

I don't think the gasket is the real problem on the 6.0.

The crapy strech bolt is the real problem.

I agree that the bolts are the week link and head studs will definatly help, but the root cause is the programming/engine calibration. I have seen only 1 or 2 head gasket failures on the international truck side where the headgasket has failed and is pushing combustion into the cooling system. The difference between the international and ford is the calibration. Ford spins these engines faster, adds more boost to add more fuel to make more power. IMO this gasket is reliable to 30 psi continuous. After that a fire bead or liner protrusion method is needed to keep it sealed for continuous duty at high boost. (like most all other diesel engines and performance boosted gas engines)

'Zackly.... the E series has a CAC half the size of a F... and reduced boost to match.... Cornbinder (AFAIK) doesn't have near the problems Ford did but the hottest 6.0 you could get from them was 230 horsepressures... FWIW, I think it would be important for anyone to compare the 6.0PSD and the VT365. When I first met the VT365, I was immediately stricken by the obvious differences...

Kinda like having someone rapping on your forehead saying "Helloooooooo... anybuddy home?".

i like most of use stub nearly all 6.0 and use oem gasket.

the only studed truck i have seen blow heads was some dum ass running nearly 40psi boost with stock exhaust. It was on its 4th set at 120,000. When i got it tore down i sent out heads and had 7 cracks on one head when machinist quit checking. i had never herd of them till one of my customer told me his plans for truck when out of warranty. He already has egr delete, studs black onix gaskets, so called 100 horse injs, and is ordering ball bearing turbo. he has already had programmer and monestor exh stack. amazingling he has not blown headgaskets because i think he said he runs 6 gun on 5 at all times.

The only truck i have ever done gaskets on twice has (had) arp studs. It has a banks six gun ( the whole kit with cac,cac tubes, intake elbow, exhaust) and the guy that drives it ( a freind of mine) has about a 90 lb right foot. He drives like his ass is on fire always. He was averaging 50,00kms to a set of head gaskets, then he scattered a motor, so now its running an fqr.