Electric Cooling Fans

Rate this topic

I'd suggest against it. You'll never get the HP equivalent/airspeed/CFM of a fan clutch with an electric fan.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Never?!?!

"I never seen that before"

Posted Image

Gasser's Yes....

DIESELS NO NEVER NEVER.....

I sell em for a living have had customers change out for a direct drive with a electric fan out front, bout 95% come back and we put them back to a Viscous clutch. It's automatic and a no brainer they engage at a certain temp and dis-engage at another. The electric fans need more controls and or switches to assist in what was already designed to work.

In the end it's your choice but I wouldn't recommend it.....

If you do keep the old parts just in case you decide to put back the way it should be....

Good Luck

Seems to me I had a post all written up regarding electric fans and diesels and how I felt that you'd never get enough airflow, but I forgot to hit send.

Seriously, the fans screwed onto the front of these engines can move serious amounts of air. I have never heard or felt an electric fan come close. I have heard of F-Series owners ADDING electric fans to supplement the main fan to help improve air conditioning performance at low speeds.

I remember looking quite a few years ago at converting to the Horton retrofit to the EC450 clutch. That kit appeared to me that it should move sufficient air, and also lose the drag a viscous clutch still allows with the fan when the airflow is not needed. The International number for the kit is/was ZBH996124 and was around 300-400 for a new fan, clutch, and some wiring. Larry may be able to get the kit similar possibly? I recall checking and the fan blade diameter would clear in the stock shroud, and it would thread on the existing water pump IIRC. However, that was designed around the IH cast iron water pump, not the Ford aluminum water pump, so I am unsure if it would reliably support the additional weight of the EC450 unit without damaging the Ford casting down the road. Horton tech support couldn't answer that question for me either when I talked to them a few years ago about it.

Also keep in mind thats for the IH trucks with that kind of control capability in the ECM, so you would have to sit down, figure out how to wire it in with relays if needed, coolant temp switch(with manual fan control too?), as well as a binary or trinary switch for the A/C fan operation.

To add a little bit more, I just googled it, and I'm now quite sure Larry can get it, his fanclutch.com site was one of them that it came up with, and I've seen a few of the installs that people have done over on the other sites, and it seems to work out alright after changing the factory high pressure switch to a binary switch for A/C control.

Didn't think about the EC450 right away for this but I just did one for a guy with a Dodge and the clutch,conversion kit and fan blade were just over $1000.00. Most of the kits have been discontinued from Horton, but I can come up with the pieces for them. They are pricey though. The retro-fit kits were really nice, clutch,blade,exact fit harness,coolant fan switch,ac pressure switch and a manual switch in the dash. As for the weight of the clutch it doesn't weigh anymore than a vistronic clutch on the later trucks. It does help with weight getting rid of the steel blades and switching over to the Kysor style blades, steel hub with injection molded nylon reinforced paddles. I'll check it out tomorrow and post it for you guy's. I have a couple of complete retro-kits in the warehouse, I'll look and see if one of these would be right for your application.

UPDATE:

As luck has it I have this 996124 kit and the 994114 fan in stock. I opened up the kit, it has the EC450 clutch, Overlay harness, Coolant switch. Does not come with a relay or a/c pressure switch. You may or may not need them depending on the application. Your cost is $525.00 on the Retro-kit and $120.00 for the blade.

Normally that clutch is $650.00 and the blade is $189.00