Injuries at work.....

Rate this topic

LARRY BRUDZYNSKI

Last winter, had a new coworker heating up a gantry lift cylinder on a Link-Belt LS138HII crane due to the hydraulic oil being so thick(so he thought in the field) that it wouldn't raise the gantry. They continued to heat the cylinder until the rod and cap blew out of the housing and covered the crane rigger in hot hydraulic oil. His coveralls protected most of his body, however his face and eyes were not protected and fortunately he suffered only minor burns from that incident.

• 4 weeks later...

i got myself good on wednesday. anyone ever notice how ridiculously sharp the heat shields are on new cat converter assemblies?

had a 350 that needed new cats under the recall. all was going well, had a few close calls but was making due. until i tried to reach up past the left side to plug in o2s11. pulled my hand down and i felt the shield slice right into the tip of my right ring finger, brain said panic and i jerked away lightly slicing my wrist in the process

balled my fist up, swore and walked around for 30 seconds and when i opened my hand it was completely covered in blood. that ruined me for the rest of the day

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally have something to report on this thread.

I'm home from work early today because I slipped off of my step stool while doing some power steering repairs on a Super Duty, and rolled my left ankle.

You have no idea how much it sucks to drive a manual trans car to get home after something like that, but but I made it and now I get to watch tv with my ballooning ankle in ice for a while.

For some reason, it seems my ankles are my weakest link. This is like the 3rd or 4th time this has happened in the last 10 years. At least I know the drill though... After a day or two of ice, my Chiropractor will be able to make it 'pop' and almost immediately thereafter it will regain full range of motion without pain.

OOH look, it's turning purple!!! Posted Image

Had the tips of me fingers rattled by fan blades a few times back in the day of adjusting chokes. Noobie oops.

Worse thing was when I slipped climbing out of a truck box. Landed on my elbow and fractured the bone. Was off for 3 months on that one.

You have no idea how much it sucks to drive a manual trans car to get home after something like that' date=' but but I made it and now I get to watch tv with my ballooning ankle in ice for a while.

For some reason, it seems my ankles are my weakest link. This is like the 3rd or 4th time this has happened in the last 10 years.

Are you a bigger guy Jeff? I had this same issue when I first started into the trade. I'm 6'4" and was 285lbs and it seemed like rolling my ankle was a once a month event. I dropped down to 220lbs and knock on wood, I haven't had any ankle issues for the last 3 years...

Same deal here with ankles.

The slightest thing on the floor can make it crack. Have had issues since I fell down a flight of stairs in my teens. Snapped both ankles and have what looks like 3 ankles per foot. Never broke them, but they sure don't look right. I can make them crack just by twisting my foot when sitting.

If I roll one of them over, I have to immediately walk on them or they'll swell up too.

Can't wear high top boots or boot like shoes in general. Painful.

I've always gotten made fun of, as I am constantly cleaning the floors where I've worked. Even a little speedy dry can do it.

• 1 month later...

Welp, I got into a tangle with a 550 today and ended up at the local ER. Seven stitches around the bridge of my nose and 2 hours later I was back for round two. To make matters worse, today was my day off and I was just trying to get ahead.

You gotta love the first question on a workers comp form: "could this accident have been prevented" Posted Image

Had one just last week. Walking slightly crouched beneath the truck on my lift, I was headed to my box. I stood up in front when I thought I was clear... I wasn't. I stood up directly into the sharpest, rustiest set of plow push plates ever. When I checked to see how bad the bump was, my hand came back very bloody. One trip to the ER, two staples, one tetanus shot and one wasted afternoon.

last week i wheeled myself at full creeper speed into a plow bracket hanging down off the front of a truck. i'm skinny enough i can usually maneuver under a 6.4 4wd without getting caught on anything. nice little lump on my forehead, nothing major

A week ago, Pulling a standpipe plug on an e-van,my hand slipped off my ratchet and caught the inside of the cowl where the doghose seal meets, degloving the backside of my hand and damaging tendons. 21 stitches later and several visits to the docs, I still have a hand that is at about 60%. Changes in the weather are painful, especially in upstate NY where the weather changes on the hour. After looking back, I probably could have prevented the accident, however shit happens no matter what. This is our profession, we are going to get cut,burned and smashed. We just need to minimize our risks even if it costs us a little of our time.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune... but what better time to reiterate... when we are using great force or if we are using something sharp... one of our first thoughts should be "if this slips, where is it going?".

The whole idea is to be able to go to work tomorrow...

Stay safe.

A week ago, Pulling a standpipe plug on an e-van,my hand slipped off my ratchet and caught the inside of the cowl where the doghose seal meets, degloving the backside of my hand and damaging tendons. 21 stitches later and several visits to the docs, I still have a hand that is at about 60%. Changes in the weather are painful, especially in upstate NY where the weather changes on the hour. After looking back, I probably could have prevented the accident, however shit happens no matter what. This is our profession, we are going to get cut,burned and smashed. We just need to minimize our risks even if it costs us a little of our time.

Stories like this are the epitome of exactly why I show no mercy in the quoting of labour for any job on a E-Series 6.0L (which is usually about double what the same job would be on an F-Series). You really think the owner's of these piles of turds on wheels are going to give a rat's ass about your injury or mine sustained in the process of putting them back on the road? You should see what both my arms look like after a battle with an E-series for both coolers with that stupid BS aftermarket refridgeration compressor plumbed in.

Originally Posted By: ny6073tech
Stories like this are the epitome of exactly why I show no mercy in the quoting of labour for any job on a E-Series 6.0L (which is usually about double what the same job would be on an F-Series). You really think the owner's of these piles of turds on wheels are going to give a rat's ass about your injury or mine sustained in the process of putting them back on the road? You should see what both my arms look like after a battle with an E-series for both coolers with that stupid BS aftermarket refridgeration compressor plumbed in.
Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
Sorry to hear of your misfortune... but what better time to reiterate... when we are using great force or if we are using something sharp... one of our first thoughts should be "if this slips, where is it going?".

The whole idea is to be able to go to work tomorrow...

Stay safe.

I always remember when pushing with great force, to push with an OPEN hand while in the process of loosening a fastener.

Now, if only I can master the art of avoiding to hit my head on objects above .....