Typewriter TSB

Rate this topic

I heard a rumor today that a TSB is in the works to address the typewriter noise some 6.7L engines develop. There is an additive for the oil...

Anyone? Posted Image

Maybe REV-X perhaps? Posted Image

i was told carbon black was put in at the plant. don't know if it can be gotten yet. have seen some oil changes cause tick , was told oil changed too soon. also was told the noise will quit with more miles even without the additive. maybe they have decided it may not or it takes too long.

I saw the TSB yesterday, no mention of additive or anything, but I gave it a quick skim. Long and short of it, it says don't compare it to another unit, because they may be different, and don't try and fix it.

It then goes on to mention that everyone else's engine makes this noise, so its okay that this one does too. Posted Image

I'm not sure the severity or intensity of this noise, I haven't heard any 6.7's that make any noise at all.

We had one stock unit that was making this noise. I made several recordings of it. It is a randomized tapping noise that really sounds like an old typewriter clacking away. At the time I did call the Hot-Line and I got the same response as typed above.

Okay, here we go... No additive though, just information.

SSM 2420 - 2011 F-SUPER DUTY - 6.7L DIESEL - TICK/TAP NOISE AT IDLE

SEE TSB 10-19-02 FOR DETAIL 10-19-02

Originally Posted By: Ford Motor Company
TSB 10-19-2 6.7L DIESEL - TICK/TAP NOISE AT IDLE

Publication Date: September 20, 2010

FORD: 2011 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550

ISSUE:

Some 6.7L diesel equipped vehicles may exhibit a ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as Typewriter Noise because of its similarity to the sound of random typing on a mechanical typewriter. Customers may report that when near a building, wall or drive through window, that this noise can be heard from inside the cab.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Information to inform the customer of the characteristic.

SERVICE INFORMATION

The relationship between the oil film, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and engine cylinder block produces a sound that is heard as a ticking noise. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was present in prior model year vehicles, but masked by other noises in the past. Because the 6.7L diesel engine includes a number of design improvements to reduce diesel engine noise, Typewriter Noise can be more noticeable than on previous products. Typewriter Noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability. Other manufacturers of diesel engines have reported the presence of this condition for a number of years.

Build tolerance stack-up from engine to engine contributes to perceived differences in noise intensity. When engine temperatures reach 150 °F (65 °C) or higher, (from engine idle up to approximately 1700 RPM's), this noise can typically be heard at the front wheel well and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. Typewriter Noise is a normal operating characteristic of this diesel engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs to eliminate this noise. This noise is characteristic of the 6.7L diesel engine and will typically cease or diminish significantly within the oil change maintenance interval.

Refer to vehicle Owner Guides and Maintenance Guides for approved engine oil viscosities and usage information. Use of different oil viscosities will not eliminate this noise and is not recommended. Customers should be informed that these conditions do not affect engine durability and no repairs are necessary.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Information Only - Not Warrantable

We had a lady who bought a new F350 King Ranch fully loaded 6.7 a few weeks ago. The other day she came in complaining about this noise--it was the worst one I've heard so far. I gave her a copy of the original SSM and explained it as best I could with a straight face. She freaked out and went on a tirade about how much money she had spent on this truck and how it should be PERFECT!!! because her truck payments were so high! Anyway at that point I punted to the service manager and went back to work. It wouldn't bother me if it was my truck, but I can see how someone would be concerned by it because on some trucks it is quite loud--others don't make it at all.

I want to say that is something that was stated to me as well. As long as this proves to go away as we are being told I would not be very concerned about it. The trick is going to be in telling that to a customer with a $75K truck and having not be angry less happy about it. Supposedly the Duramax has a similar gremlin.

This is starting to sound more like the way the 6.4 started out. Dipstick o-rings leaking and now another noise TSB. All we need is for radiator to start busting at the seams.

Lets hope not but I fear you might be right.... Posted Image

• 11 months later...

For those of you that have heard one a loud noise like this how loud is to be considered normal? The customer has noted it seems to happen more when its cold and can hear it in the cab with the radio on at times. I drove with the customer today radio off and could hear the faint noise in the cab, customer states it gets much worse so will be back in the morning. Says the oil is about 1 inch overfull as well states it doesn't smell like fuel. I did do a oil change end of july customer has probably around 4000-5000KM on the oil now.

• 2 years later...

Scroll up about 8 posts here and read... if you didn't access the TSB and read it. It explains the cause for the noise and that it's a normal condition that dissipates. The frustrating thing for us all (vehicle owners included) is that Ford does not provide an explanation as to why this noise typically develops after the first oil change and why it goes away.If I were you I would have printed out the TSB and handed it to the customer to keep and digest. All you can do really is discuss the issue and confirm to him what the TSB states as best you can. I wish Ford would expand on the details of many concerns that pop up resulting in TSB's and FSA's but I guess we should be thankful for getting what little information we are provided.

Actually the ones I've had didn't show up until the trucks were 3 or 4 oil changes into their lives. And they don't do it every time. I was just curious if someone managed to get any info out of Ford as to what was actually making the noise.

The only truck I ever had do this was one that had it's first oil change done prematurely.  This was over a year ago and I can't remember any specifics other than I thought hotline told me there was an additive in the oil to minimize valvetrain noise until it was broken in.

I could have sworn my parts guy said there was something out there to add to 6.7 oil to stop this from happening.  I never looked into it though because we haven't seen any do this yet.