6.0L FEAD Belt Tensioner Tool

Rate this topic

Okay, removing/replacing the drive belt on a 6.0L is old news to most of us by now. After watching the video, I fail to see any useful purpose for both the tool itself and the bungee cord. What's wrong with simply giving the belt one hard yank and slipping the lock tab into place (or an appropriately sized bolt if it's MIA)? And what about dual alternator trucks?

So did he change his alternator and tighten his lug nuts with the same tool? And, I must say that's one bad ass screw gun he's got there for the alternator bolts.

@ Captain Buzzkill - Damn, dude... lighten up... The service pricing guide still pays 2.3 to change an alternator...

Had one in a while back, the guy replaced the tensioner himself, and was having some drive issues (2 completely unrelated incidents), he couldn't figure out why the belt wouldn't tighten up, so he used a bunch of washers and nuts to space the alternator up off the intake about 1" to take up the slack! HILARIOUS!!!! Wish I had gotten some pictures!

made one today after work. took a piece of 1/2" square 1 inch long and set it in the tensioner on my truck. used bar stock 24" long, 1 1/4" wide and 1/4" thick. kinda lined it up and eyeballed where i needed to be. checked it out after i tacked it, worked perfect. ran a bead all the way around and it couldn't be better

I have enough material to make a few more. one for work and one to keep in the truck maybe one for the other diesel guy we have

I just use my matco sb8586 belt tool, use the 3/8" end, put a 3/8 to 1/2" 1 inch adapter on it and its the perfect length...although I'm sure your tool was cheaper and probably a bit slimmer...

..although most of the time I dont even use the tool. Just use 18" 3/8" extension on alternator bolt holes, hold belt over alt pulley and use extension to rotate alt. in place and put in bolts. makes alt r&r about a 3 minute job.

• 5 weeks later...

The owner of that tool/site called our service manager to try and sell us some of these. He called all of use in his office and showed us the video to see if it was worth while. I thought it was a joke and the guy in the vid made it sound like it was the best idea on the planet. I laughed my ass off. Obviously he has not done many 6.0s as most of use already know how to do this without too much headache. I use a snap on ratcheting belt tool(I think it was like 40-50bucks retail) and it can be used for many other vehicles too. Why buy a tool that is specific to one vehicle when another tool works better IMO and can use it on other vehicles too? Seems a bit more practical to me.

Plus that video is staged. He already has the cable off, the bolts had to be loose as that screw gun would not have broke them loose then he proceeds to brag about it taking 1min to change. Plus can you imagine a customer seeing that? coming in and being pissed about paying book time for a alternator? I can see it now "well I saw a video on youtube where it only took 1min to change, why are you charging me X amount of hours"

^^^^^^^^^^ I agree. How the hell is that new news? This: http://www.mactools.com/SearchResults/tabid/79/Default.aspx?Search=SBT59800 has worked for the last nine years for me. It it works for more than just one application. Lisle makes it as well: http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=495 This technology has been around for a very very long time and that wanker finally just figured it out. Of course, building it for five bucks is allot cheaper, but it is for sure no new news to me anyway.

i have that same mac serp belt tool. it works but if the 1/2" drive bit was 1/2" longer it would work perfect

now that i made a couple i'll never fucking have to take another 6.0 belt off again. either way one stays in the truck all the time now

stand at the right side fender (use step stool as necessary), grip belt with left hand and pull, use right hand to reach down and push holding clip in place, and now belt is loose to remove as necessary - just replaced a tensioner and belt on one of these in 15 minutes today....nice getting paid 2 hours for 15 minutes work....plus the customer gave me a tip for staying late to do it!!

Posted Image