Vehicle mileage before failure

Rate this topic

HGM

I have a customer with an 00 cube van with 1,400,000 km on it; an 02 with 1,100,000; an 04 with 780,000 km and an 05 cube with 690,000 km on it. No major bills, but an awesome maitenance routine he follows.

I found out a while ago that the 7.3 could go a long time with no major problems.

An environmental company's fleet I work on had a '95 that they went nearly 975,000 with. It only needed one turbo, as it began to pass oil to the compressor side late in life. Never needed a glow plug, any harnesses or any injectors. It was serviced every 5 to 7k.

Lately I've been seeing how their "new" fleet manager, who's paid bonuses by how little he spends, is destroying their fleet.

I see at least 6 '99 to '01 7.3 engines soon to die at low (100-120k).

I can see 7.3 deaths will be ranging from airboxes being left open or sucked inside out air filters, rotten oil pans, turbo failures (already 2), chronic driver and operator chipping (swapping 120hp chips from truck to truck) and drivers ethering them on cold starts, as the injectors are sludged from lack of oil changes. If we see these every 7k the trucks are lucky, and with the constant stationary pto running at 1300 to 3000 rpm they do, they usually have way more hours than actual "miles" on them.

Kind of sad in a way.

• 3 months later...

I changed dealers two years ago and am servicing a fleet of ambulances on E350 and E450s, some have 325,000 miles and over 30,000 hours of run time and the 7.3L will out run the sic-o every time, the crews like the 7.3 units better than the new ones with sic-os. I am not seeing severe issues with the 6.0 inspite of the extended idle times but I am using fuel perfomance additive single use bottles that the crew can add when they refuel. It seems to be working.

• 2 weeks later...

highest 6.0 i have worked on is 120k, it got traded in when the owners ran it out of fuel and filled it with OR fuel from the tank in the bed, only to dump in about 2 gallons of water with it. it trashed every single injector on the truck, so they added four bottles of Stanadyne and drove it in on trade. that truck was the strongest 6.0 i had ever driven, and i had seen it since it was at 22k.

first gen 7.3's around here are in the 250-350k range, most use some oil, but still pull like a bastard. all are in rollbacks or farmers flatbeds.

second gens are in the area of 200-400k, i have one farmer in the area with a pair of 99 F550's that are at 225k, and he swears he will repower them when the engines pop. those trucks are probably the stoutest cattle trucks around, and they are built to take the abuse. the new superduty is not liked around here, mainly due to the body design.

we have a few customers getting 6.4's, and have had a few in for warr. work so far, i aint seen them.

on a side note, i had a civic in yesterday with 620000km on the clock. kinda freaked me out, till i realized the car was from canada, and it was in km not mi.

Okay guy's update on mileage on a 6.0...

My neighbor who is about the least mechanically inclined person I have ever met is a concrete cutter and a built like a bull. He drives a 05 E450 box truck totally loaded with saws,grinders and a plethra of god only knows what on his truck, definitely overloaded. To date the only problems he has had has been batteries,alternator and a abs ecm. Believe it or not but NO INJECTION PROBLEMS. He currently has 240,000 miles on it. I couldn't believe it when he told me this but pulled all the maint. and service records on it and it's true. I think some good ones were actually built but have slipped thru the cracks, maybe we just don't see these because they don't have problems on some of them. If it was my truck and didn't have problems I sure wouldn't be back at the dealer unless there were. I think the truck load works the engine the way it was meant to and does what it is supposed to, be a work horse.

• 1 year later...

02 f350 699000km and just did the first trans. no injectors no turbo nothing... just minor hp oil leaks and reg maint... He hauls the mail and puts on prob 200km a day

• 4 months later...