06 e350 surge

Rate this topic

have a 06 e350, had plugged cat, stuck turbo and plugged eqr valve. Replaced cat, cleaned turbo with new unision ring. Now while cruising has a surge, cannot feel it or see rpm change but can hear turbo spooling up and down while driving. Passes all tests, can see ep graph going up and down while surging, any ideas?

I assume the VGT command is also cycling? Restricted EBP tube, bad EBP sensor, bad VGT solenoid, sticking vanes, etc. can all cause this. You might want to install the rack position sensor and do the tests to verify the VGT is working properly, or try an EBP and make sure the tube is clear.

Make sure the ICP is not surging, too, leading you down the wrong path.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Let me try this again, replaced egr valve, today i pulled the ebp tube and it is clean along with the fitting being clean. Sensor also clean. Wish i had a vgt test

Wish i had a vgt test

On the flip side, how times have you guys run this test, only to return a PASS result, but still have issues with the unison ring or turbo itself?

Originally Posted By: 64nomore
Wish i had a vgt test
On the flip side, how times have you guys run this test, only to return a PASS result, but still have issues with the unison ring or turbo itself?

You have to really look at the very first 2 and last 2 steps closely. I actually ran the test on one with a new turbo, then compared it to a bad one and you can see the difference.

On the topic off the concern at hand, I would typically go after the VGT on this one. I was told that if the surging goes away when taking comand of VGT and EBP settles down the VGT is bad. If it still surges when doing this then go after ICP. Yours sounds very much like a VGT issue. One other thing to look for is if it puffs black at the same cycle as the surge. The last one I had with a bad VGT did this.

• 6 months later...

I had one today, 05 F350, customer installed a bullet proof egr cooler and oil cooler setup and ever since it's got a cyclical surge at 15-20 PSI. Since the concern he's cleaned the turbo and replaced the ficm harness

You can see the surge in VGT, EBP and EGRDC but nothing in ICP. You can even see it in the boost gauge on the dash. Other than a roadtest with IDS I didn't get a chance to really play with it

I don't know if it'll be back or not