gas in fuel 6.4

Rate this topic

Customer put gas or something other than diesel fuel in tank.Says he drove truck a couple of miles and it died.Found low pressure pump toast.replaced that and truck would barely run.high pressure fuel pump wiped out.replaced pump and injectors,lines the whole spill.Went to test drive truck and starts smoking and missing.Have missfire on number three.Take off oil cap and puffs like a train.Mind you all this on customer.truck has 15k miles and is a 2010.He is having a bad week.

Oh crap. I just had one that belonged to a large railway construction company. Driver put 130 liters of gas in and drove it untill 1/2 tank. We figure about 300km or so. I quoted the job and talked it over with thier fleet maintenance manager, He was happy with the info I gave,and ready to do it. He went to his bosses and they said no, drain it, flush it and fill it back up with new fuel and put a few botttles of 2 stroke oil in the tank. Against my will I did it for them, and to my surprise the truck runs Good, time will tell for how long. I did make them aware that by not properly repairing it they will likely have an engine failure and it will not be covered by warranty, but they thought it was worth the risk.

I have had a couple trucks towed in with full tanks of gas which only ran for a minute or two. They too got flushed out and refilled without issue to this day. I am not sure how quickly damage is done, some say immediately, but it seems the factor here may be how long the engine was run with gas. If the tank is filled when there is still a decent amount of diesel that would allow the engine to run I think that scenario is the most detrimental.

About a month ago I had a 6.7L that my dealership "courtesy" delivered for Enterprise Rent-a-Truck come in on the hook shortly after being delivered - odo read 9 miles, enterprise driver had picked it up at the dealer, drove it 1/2 mile up the road and filled it to the top with gasoline, at least he realized his stupidity before he started the truck(or so he says)....drained the tank(into mine and my co-workers tanks - free gas for a week!!) flushed the lines, changed the filters, and sent it on it's way!! been fine so far!

)....drained the tank(into mine and my co-workers tanks - free gas for a week!!)

I did that once. My Explorer ran like shit and there wasn't much diesel in the "fuel." It wold ping and buck under acceleration... just thought I would add that tid-bit.

Originally Posted By: joshbuys
)....drained the tank(into mine and my co-workers tanks - free gas for a week!!)

I did that once. My Explorer ran like shit and there wasn't much diesel in the "fuel." It wold ping and buck under acceleration... just thought I would add that tid-bit.

Ditto, smoked like a bugger too. And adding octane booster doesn't help either. But free is free is free so you put up with for a bit.

done it several times in my old car(89 corolla - carburated, only had once where it had too much diesel in it) this time it was my 98 grand cherokee - there was less than 1/8 tank when he picked it up, it was a 38 gallon tank that he filled with 36 gallons of unleaded, so i figured it was a safe bet, dumped a $5 bottle of stp octane booster in with it, didn't have any problems!! and yes like you said -

free is free is free so you put up with it for a bit

You guys are nuckin' futs.

I have neither the time nor patience for driving around in unreliable, poor running junk. I refuse to send my wife out into traffic in some second rate death trap.

And "yes"... when it comes to emissions controls, I put my money where my mouth is.

I refuse to drive junk and I refuse to drive something that might appear to run poorly. This sends a powerful message to my customers.... I can't say how things run in the US but my customers are also my neighbours.

I'm not about to dump anything in my tank that might make me look like I should have chosen a different career path...

Your reputation is built on 25% what you do and 75% what you APPEAR to do.

Quote:
Your reputation is built on 25% what you do and 75% what you APPEAR to do

How true that is. The first thing I did when I met my oral surgeon, was to take a look at his own teeth. Never mind all the certificates on the wall and creds such as that.....

Originally Posted By: Brad Clayton
The first thing I did when I met my oral surgeon, was to take a look at his own teeth.

I did that with my barber.. Posted Image

I wish I knew where my barber has his hair cut.... that's where I would go...

My dentist had bad breath this morning... which has nothing to do with how well he re-cemented my crown back in.

And everything to do with how hung over and underachieving he may have felt... or how uncaring he might be on this particular day.

Since my dentist is going to be "in my face" (well, not so much anymore... I can mail him my teeth) I would think that pleasant body odors would be a prime consideration... Think of it like "I don't smoke in a customers car or change his radio station and I try to return his seat to the same position I found it" kind of a consideration. The devil is in the details.

On rethink.... the barber I go to doesn't talk politics, he doesn't stink and I am probably happy that I don't have to stare at my haircut - the barber I used to go to (until she moved) was cute and had big zoomers. And Meatloaf told us that "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad"....

.........what were we talkin' 'bout on this thread again? Posted ImagePosted Image

Stinky dentists taking the mixed shit out of someone elses tank and putting it in theirs.

Customer... "What did you do with the old shit?".

GreaseMonkey... "Ah putted it inh muh own tank... HYUK HYUK...".

Customer,,, "Well... that makes me feel better about the bill you gave me. But why is it bad for me and good for you?".

Make that "stinky bald dentists with good barbers".

Reminds me earlier this winter, except it was gelled #2 Diesel in a 6.4L and a Freightliner(Dont ask me where they found the #2 at this time of year) Instructed by the customers to dump the old fuel and fill with fresh #1, and they didn't want to see the old stuff ever again, keep it and do whatever. So needless to say, a little over 200 gallons of clean #2 is sitting in sealed drums in the back of the shop waiting for warmer weather to burn in my truck Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...