Radiator replacement.

Rate this topic

Do yourself a huge favor and DO NOT FOLLOW THE WSM for this procedure. Take the truck apart like you would the 6.4L. Your knuckles and sorrounding co-workers(you will swear alot if you try it) will thank you. There is more than enough time to do this, it comes apart pretty easy.

Posted Image

Originally Posted By: Mutter
Why did you have to replace the rad ?

It was leaking at the side tank crimp.

Do I see another 6.4L trend developing?

Originally Posted By: lmorris
Originally Posted By: Mutter
Why did you have to replace the rad ?

It was leaking at the side tank crimp.

Do I see another 6.4L trend developing?

Let's hope not.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to change one once that had been damaged. I read the manual, then did it my own way. I couldn't imagine doing it the WSM way.

OK... if we don't drink the KoolAid you wont tell us what makes the WSM routine so bad?

FWIW, "don't do this..." and similar statements deserve to be followed with "because yadda-yadda-yadda".

Sorry. It was a while ago, and I don't remember all the exact details, but the manual will have you remove a lot of things that are not necessary, and quite time consuming. As mentioned in another post, if you do it like you would a 6.4, you'll save a lot of effort. I will compare the unnecessary steps in the WSM for 6.7 radiator removal with the unnecessary steps you find in the E-Series WSM for left engine mount removal.

To follow up Jim's post, getting the rad out is not an issue. Putting it back in is th issue.

#1: the WSM tells you to secure the lower shroud to the diffuser, but doesn't say how. I tried a few things, tie-straps, bungees, no go, they got in the way or would have to be left there.

#2: it is a tight fit going back in, after 3 tries I noticed the core getting scratched up, sparing anymore damage to the rad was my major concern.

#3: there just aren't that many free techs on hand in a mostly flat rate shop to help.

• 1 year later...

I did one (primary) and didn't think it was so terrible - nothing seems to stick out in my mind, at least. But then we aren't sure that senility isn't kicking in, either.

I did take out the secondary, though.

Maybe not being flat rate helps? And I do get a lot of interruptions.

I had one of these to do last week, but when we phoned the fleet managment company to get approval(retail, 150k on it), they would not approve the bill, and told us to sell the driver several jugs of coolant and he will just have to top it off as required.

The way you did it in the photo Keith, is exactly the same way I do them. I even vaguely recall mentioning I like doing 6.7L rads better then 6.4L rads.

It isn't ad and if I removed the secondary radiator and the AC condenser it would have been another .5 at least and made a bigger mess. The less I have to remove, the better. The less I have to clean up, the better.

The way you did it in the photo Keith, is exactly the same way I do them. I even vaguely recall mentioning I like doing 6.7L rads better then 6.4L rads.

I don't mind 6.7 radiators, but I don't think I'd be as bold to make a statement like that! Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I finally did one of these today, and I am very glad I had read this thread. Tackled it just like a 6.4, like was said above, I removed the secondary rad and a/c condensor, but left the shroud and all attatched to it fully asembled. I think I could actually say I prefer these to a 6.4 rad.

It was on the same truck I had diaged a while ago, driver finally lost his cool and refused to top up his coolant anymore. He was leaking 2L per day ,and the fleet management company still wanted to leave it. They told us to source a jobber rad to save some $. Closest one was quebec and it was $2500.

• 1 month later...