6.0L EGR Coolers Now Have a $75 Core Charge (4/29)

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Anyone catch the EGR cooler core charge announcement? Not much information is given and no explanation as to why NOW there is a core charge. Are we about to see reman coolers? These aren't reman part numbers so me thinks not.

Posted Image

Maybe Ford is selling them to Bullet Proof Diesel... NAH! Posted Image

6.0L EGR Coolers Now Have a $75 Core Charge (4/29)

•4C3Z9P456AH replaces 4C3Z9P456AF.

•3C3Z9P456A replaces 3C3Z9P456AE. 3C3Z9P456AE will remain active, with no core charge, until depot stock is obsolete.

•The two new numbers will have a $75 core. Dealers will return them to their RCRC for credit, just like any other core-bearing part.

The scrap value must be huge. We had a guy that would come by the shop and give us $20 each for them.

Hmmmm... that's what bulletproof offers for square coolers...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever installed a round cooler into a late engine? Will it physically fit? I've never had the opportunity (nor the inclination until now) to compare the two side by side.

We rarely replace round EGR coolers for leaking... but then the round coolers weren't around for very long making any subjective comparison difficult. Unless somebody kept numbers?????

On edit.... typos.... fucking typos.... Posted Image

IIRC the round ones are a little bit shorter than the square ones, there is also a difference in the y-pipes where it attaches to the cooler - y-pipe for the round one has a longer snout coming off the pipe to the cooler to reach the shorter cooler.

To put a round cooler in a late model truck you need the early 03 up-pipe to go with it. Other than that it should bolt right up

Now obviously the 03s have less egr flow than all the other years and the coolers aren't as efficient so who knows what the repercussion of putting one in a later truck could be.

I did see this message and I believe it's directly due to bulletproof remanning these coolers. What I would like to know is do bulletproofs coolers cool the egr gasses as much as factory cooler. What about the flow rate? I hope they tested all of these factors

We discussed this several times over the last year or so... the first discussion touched upon the efficiency of the coolers. Cant seem to find the thread at this moment.

I do concede that I would rather see one of these coolers installed rather than an EGR delete. Even a less efficient cooler would still be beneficial. I like to breath clean air too.

We now have core charges on the works kits (pistons, rods, liners) and fuel tanks on the international side. So far, no core on egr coolers. I sell a lot of the bulletproof egr coolers for my side business. Gene just raised the core price to $50 for the square coolers. Didn't say why though. Dorman auto parts is now selling egr coolers. Some ebay adds list them with lifetime warranties but I was unable to find the warranty on their site.

I just had the pleasure of installing one of Dorman's EGR coolers. It is a similar kit to OEM, as it comes with all the same gaskets/seals/hose and was about half the price of an OEM, however it had 2 downsides that I didn't like but wasn't too big of an issue. I had trouble getting the blue hose to snap onto the oil cooler housing, and the tube off the EGR cooler was welded too high, so I had to bend it down about 3/8-1/2" to line up correctly.

I just installed two egr coolers this week and the foreman has installed one. All had the new #'s 4c3z9p456ah and parts mentioned nothing about returning for core. I even questioned them and they replied "nope, no core charge". I wont complain, to the scrap guy they go for some desperately needed fuel money.

Perhaps, this core charge only applies to those of you in the good old U.S. of A. Just curious, is there anything that is physically different about these new coolers, other than the suffix of the part number?

does any one know of someone in western canada that buys old egr coolers

Ontario too. I have a whole pile sitting in my garage, waiting to find a home.

Physically the egr cooler is the same, I don't ever remember receiving the screen (3c3z-6c683-ab) for under the oil cooler in my egr kits before but these two kits had it in there, they also had the green o-ring(w302725) for the PCV pipe to valve cover and some miscellaneous turbo gaskets.

Seems a little redundant to put the screen in with the EGR cooler when you get one with the oil cooler. Typically you should get intake gaskets and turbo mounting hardware. What would make sense would be a kit to service both coolers in one box.

What would make sense would be a kit to service both coolers in one box.

Do you know how long I have been thinking that very same thing too?

Originally Posted By: dkachma
does any one know of someone in western canada that buys old egr coolers
Ontario too. I have a whole pile sitting in my garage, waiting to find a home.

Have you checked out bullet proof diesel?..... I don't know if they do or not, it may be too much in shipping cost across the border? but they pay for shipping here, and are paying $20/cooler right now!

They send me a FED-EX shipping label via e-mail, and then I put 8 coolers in a box and ship to them. And they deposit money straight into my Paypal!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wrong, the screens under the cooler aren't coming in the EGR kits, the new EGR kit has really nothing new in it, turbo gasket kit and the usual egr gaskets. The screen for the oil cooler is coming in the oil cooler kit....

• 1 month later...