chafe point

Rate this topic

Something to be on the look out for:

Posted Image

Closer look:

Posted Image

This harness runs to both sides of the truck in the exact same spot on the other side. It will cause all sorts of intermittent driveabilty problems. Especially common, are difficult to diag stalling concerns and continuous memory codes that keep popping up but are hard to replicate.

This is easily checked by dropping the front of the fender liner.

This is with the left side fender liner out, I see the ABS module, the red steel is the core support, and the camera is facing forward and to the right a little bit, right? I think I see the electric water pump, but the it is not in its normal rubber mounting grommet like I'm used to seeing.

How is the electric water pump mounted? It looks like it's just hanging there.

Great tip!

Posted Image

^^^^The electric pump is mounted to the fan shroud and kind of a pain if I remember correctly.

Actually they are not that bad. Just keep the bolts with the pump when you put it back in.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This does not necessarily relate to any particular engine or single model year. I recently had to deal with a 2010 F250 with inoperative wipers and heater blower motor. I discovered the ignition feed for those items was chafed and cut but on the right side of the radiator support directly opposite of this and I accessed it by removing the inner fender well. Fortunately I remembered this post!

• 2 weeks later...

Had the exact same thing on a 2008 F350.  Intermittent 4x4 flashing light, intermittent clunking and banging from transfer case, and one other thing, happened only when raining or wet.  Wires rubbed in that exact location, about 5 or 6 of them.