Small update to cab tilt procedure.

Rate this topic

Tried the cab tilt for a turbo removal. In addition to the procedure I had to disconnect the ebrake cable from the frame. Driver's battery neg. cable had to be taken off. I didn't have to remove the degas bottle to remove the turbo crossover tube, so I didn't have to drain the coolant either.

Really opens it up.

Originally Posted By: Mikill
I have ran into too many stubborn exhaust bolts to attempt it this way.

PB Blaster

Flame wrench.

The torch seems to be one of my favorite tools lately. Seems like every truck I have to get something glowing to get it loose. Today it was glowplug module bracket nuts. Seized and rounded off to boot. I was pretty torched myself!

Posted ImagePosted Image

The only thing stopping me from lifting the cab was a pipe rack, It could be removed if I decided to continue with the full cab lift. Too my surprise all the exhaust bolts came out very nicely. In the future I think I will start this way and only do the full lift if I have too many issues with the exhaust bolts.

Would you do the job again this way? I have a hpp to do and I am thinking about trying it this way.

How would one torque the gear bolt? Not enough room to get a torque wrench on it when its bolted to the engine. Anyone torqued the drive gear on the bench and if so...how? Don't feel comfortable putting the gear in the vice.

put in vise and use a punh to hold the gear in place... if you look at the pump there is a hole behind were the gear sits works well.

+1, I use rags for padding between the pump and vice.

I have in the past torqued a pump gear with the cab on and the pump installed, 3/8 drive snap-on torque wrench

• 2 weeks later...