windows inop (least amount info possible please)

Rate this topic

I get a '06 F-150 at 5:15 today with windows inop. That's what the ticket said "windows inop". The thing is a pig sty and it reaks of B.O. Verify concern (check), power at the switch (nope), power at the circuit breaker (check), power out of the fuse box (check). Ok, so I'm pretty sure there is a broken wire in the drivers door jam. I go to the service advisor because it is getting late. The customer is there and I tell him I need more time and I casually ask how long the truck is been broken. He replies that since Thursday he had to fan the door back and forth to get the windows up and it quit altogether on Sunday.

I look at the advisor and think, well gee fuckin' whiz mr. service advisor, I could have used that info 30 minutes ago when you gave me the ticket. This little nugget of info backed up my suspicions and we rescheduled for Thursday to overlay the wire in the door jam.

How hard is it to get a little more info. It only makes our job easier and the customers bill a little less.

I wouldn't necessarily blame the adviser. I get that kind of helpful information after I fix stuff from time to time. You tell the customer what you found and you get "you know, it was doing..." I know how you feel Brad.

The number of times you go to fix an electrical concern... and find that the fuse was "stolen" because something "more important" quit working.

"I didn't think that mattered" is their mantra.

Having spent a good deal of time writing ROs for my own business, I can assure you that there are times resorting to this scene from Marathon Man is no assurance of any useful info...

• 7 months later...

Guys used to laugh at me when I was a service advisor, my tickets would always have a paragraph sometimes more describing customer complaint and any other info I felt was pertinent to the concern.

Had a guy say something to me at the counter about it one day, and said, Well, how many times do you need to waste your time coming up here and having me ask or call the customer about some specific issue regarding his complaint?

The answer was "never".

The reply was "There ya go."

The worst thing ever was when we were on SERTI when i worked in Essex - the ticket would say "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TROUBLES"

Back when your guys twin brothers were a stain on the back seat of your dads Chevy, I tried a stint in parts.

"I need a tie rod end"....

"What for"?

"It's broken".

<SIGH>

I love it when customers say "it's the Ford outside."

Really? Posted Image

It really narrow's it down when they add in "it's the WHITE Ford outside"....

Had a guy come in and say "I'm here to pick up the Ford"

"Well, you can pretty much have any one you like out in the parking lot! Enjoy your search!"

We were a busy shop doing mostly Fords and IHs. When parts arrived, I always wrote on the bill what the vehicle was so the secretary could piece the ROs together into invoices. One time I was writing "red F-350" on a parts invoice when I turned around to see FIVE red F-350s in the shop......

Posted Image

Speaking of a bunch of trucks in the shop; I get a kick out of salesmen parading customers through the shop. We had 3 cabs off with the motors gutted all to hell the other day and a guy walked through that had just bought a used 6.4 liter. He wasn't very confident in his choice after that.

^^ That's my favorite.

I will see your 'shop tour' and raise you:

"Sure is a lotta work just to change the oil, eh?!"

I've seen customers and salesmen go pale after that statement.

The number of times you go to fix an electrical concern... and find that the fuse was "stolen" because something "more important" quit working.

"I didn't think that mattered" is their mantra.

Seriously, I once had an early 2000's Isuzu NPR (tilt cab) that had a complaint of one dim head lamp, turns out the thing has separate fuses for left/right headlamps. Someone 'stole' one of the fuses and it was back feeding through the other side.

So is this the same as when you go to the doctor and tell him it hurts when you pee. You don't tell him about the dirty hooker you banged last week. Didn't think it mattered.

Speaking of a bunch of trucks in the shop; I get a kick out of salesmen parading customers through the shop. We had 3 cabs off with the motors gutted all to hell the other day and a guy walked through that had just bought a used 6.4 liter. He wasn't very confident in his choice after that.

I have always had mixed feelings about that. On one hand it's nice for new customers to see/meet the confident experienced technicians that will take care of their vehicles IF they ever need us... but look at all of those broken Fords! Posted Image Hope they already signed on the doted line.

I have a few buddys that come around, and make smart ass (or dumb ass?) comments about how all I'm ever doing is fixing Ford trucks. Duh, see the sign out front? Go into a Dodge dealer and I bet they'll be working on Dodge trucks.

I have a few buddys that come around, and make smart ass (or dumb ass?) comments about how all I'm ever doing is fixing Ford trucks. Duh, see the sign out front? Go into a Dodge dealer and I bet they'll be working on Dodge trucks.

Go with "dumb ass", I get the same thing. So "dumb ass" fits nicely because they make themselves look like a "dumb ass".

I come back with "Hey, It pays the bills, and I have more left over than you do each month...Idiot."