Cab off procedure

Rate this topic

So, the 6.7 says to use an impact to remove the body bolts, and a jack to assist with the two front mounts. Anyone been here before? I'm pulling my first 6.7 body, but I've been around the block a few times with the 6.4.

They say the same for the 2008-2010 MY also. Never tried it myself. I usually heat the nuts first and claim the time to access them. No sense taking the chance of having them spin if you can get paid to access the cage nuts.

The WSM states to use an IMPACT gun? Have they changed the cage bolt design? For the record, here in NJ the two front body bolts are almost guaranteed to spin if the truck has gone through at least one winter. I can get a headlamp out and heat the nut cherry red in about 5 minutes and they come out like buttah with a 3/8" air ratchet.

Do you Canadian tech's call it a 10 MM air ratchet? Posted Image

I still had the front ones spin on the one I did. heated them with butane and held them with my "special" bent wrench

I don't even mess around with rear cage nuts either. I hold them with a 7/8s up top and gun em out.

Here is a PDF I made of cab removal on 11's

Thank you Brad. This was really informative, clear and easy to follow...

Oh, I haven't spun any cage nuts yet. But I did snap the head off the right front bolt. How the hell does that happen??

The WSM states to use an IMPACT gun? Have they changed the cage bolt design? For the record, here in NJ the two front body bolts are almost guaranteed to spin if the truck has gone through at least one winter. I can get a headlamp out and heat the nut cherry red in about 5 minutes and they come out like buttah with a 3/8" air ratchet.

Do you Canadian tech's call it a 10 MM air ratchet? Posted Image

No we still use the old 3/8 or 1/2 inch terms...... Posted Image

I had to read the WSM twice when I did mine. It does say to use a impact on the body bolts. When I did mine I broke them free by hand then gave it hell with my impact. No issues and they came right out much easier then the 6.4 cabs. However Im in AZ so no rust here!!

Just did an 08 F350 and went by the shop manual which said to use an impact(didn't used to say that)and push up on the body to prevent the cage nuts from spinning. I tried that with the front 2 and they just spun. I then welded the cage nuts to the rad support, then welded all the rest also. I did one at a time and the heat from welding them allowed the bolts to come out OK. I think just heating the rear nuts would work also. I also see that the shop manual no longer has you replace the body bolt, just wire brush the loctite off and put new loctite on(I used anti-seize instead). Wow, Brad, that 2011 PDF file is awesome. I immediately printed it off for future reference.

• 2 years later...

This link does not work anymore, was it removed for a reason? Or is it just a website issue?

I fixed the links to this document in this thread. We had a couple of websites hotlinking to my documents so I had to change a few things with the tech resources.