P062D and P062E....had chip.

Rate this topic

Got an odd one here. 2008 F450. DPF delete and DashDAQ XL tuner. Running rough and smoking, #8 compression down, 220 PSI. Oil level was high, checked HPFP for leaks, none, ran with valve covers removed and fuel dyed, no leaks. Mist test on all cylinders got nothing. Checked into chip level, was set at 175HP DPF off. Vehicle has warranty but is flagged for possible modifications causing failure. At this point we told customer there is so far no tangible evidence to prove a warranty applicable failure to the engine. He gave the OK to continue diagnosis and would pay if not covered. I left #8 injector unplugged at this point because we wanted to run the engine to see if the HPFP would leak when running and didn't want any fuel to bypass #8 piston and mess up the test. Next course of action was to set the chip back to stock HP with only the DPF turned off. After doing this with the customer's blessing, apparently he has no idea how the chip works, the truck runs for about 30 seconds then shuts off. After 4 or 5 times of doing this it won't start unless you let it sit. Pulled the P062D and P062E Injector driver curcuit performance codes and started to diagnose, turns out it's in the PCM.

Now for my questions: Will the chip run the injectors at a higher voltage and thus eventually burning out the injector drivers in the PCM? By putting it back to stock, do I now not have enough voltage to fire the injectors?

I would think it is more likely that the chip would increase the pulse width and adjust the timing as opposed to trying to run things at a higher voltage. 734-222-5228 is their free tech support.

I also don't think that injector voltage is configurable so to speak. Any modifications intended to raise injector supply voltage on other engines requires circuit board modifications and I don't see the 6.4L being any different. At least I would be very surprised if this were possible with software.

It has spartan diesel programming. I e-mailed them last night to see if they could shed some light on it. It just seems odd that I get these codes only after turning the HP down. I think I will put in a 40HP tune and see what happens. Can't do anymore damage than whats already done, so why not. After a lengthy discussion with service manager and our general manager, the consensus now is no warranty. Now to fix the engine, get him a new PCM and see if he will go find me some stock exhaust to put in.

Turned out to be a corrupt file. Ran on stock programming and on 40HP DPF delete. The thing smokes so bad now that we are going to tear it down and hopefully find some fuel dye around the HPFP shaft seal, at least we can try to get some warranty out of this.

Not for nothing but why are you trying to get any warranty coverage for this motor?

You play, you pay.

If we keep enabling these people, what is their motovation to stop?

Is your management team afarid to tell the customer, it's time to open their wallet?

What is the difference between a boob filling a tank with gas, and running the truck until it grenades, or a boob running a program until it grenades? None.

We will gladly tell the boob that put gas in the tank, it will now cost him damn near 10 thousand dollars to repair his truck, so whats the issue with the guy who intentionally ran his motor on the ragged edge, and broke it?

Not for nothing but why are you trying to get any warranty coverage for this motor?

You play, you pay.

If we keep enabling these people, what is their motovation to stop?

Is your management team afarid to tell the customer, it's time to open their wallet?

What is the difference between a boob filling a tank with gas, and running the truck until it grenades, or a boob running a program until it grenades? None.

We will gladly tell the boob that put gas in the tank, it will now cost him damn near 10 thousand dollars to repair his truck, so whats the issue with the guy who intentionally ran his motor on the ragged edge, and broke it?

If you read my original post you will see we have told the customer of the no warranty predicament and he is fully aware he may have to pay and is prepared to pay. If this ends up being caused by a HPFP leak that filled the crankcase, cause its not like that NEVER happens, then we have grounds to get him warranty. We are not going to be pricks about it, who needs the bad publicity. In our area Powerstrokes and trucks run the show, so we need to make sure we don't bite off the hand that feeds. Our management is completely aware and fully on board with helping this guy out if we can.

Small update: Cab's off, removed the vertical EGR cooler and found coolant in both coolers and the EGR valve adapter on the intake. That's my smoke, should have no problem getting it covered now. Wonder how many rods are bent.

It's been a long time since we had much discussion on mods vs warranty. I think in general we all know the shortcomings and pattern failures with all of these engines. I can look past certain failures on trucks with programmers to some extent but also you have to realize the current calibrations from Ford have a lot of engine protection strategies built in. Posted Image

It's been a long time since we had much discussion on mods vs warranty. I think in general we all know the shortcomings and pattern failures with all of these engines. I can look past certain failures on trucks with programmers to some extent but also you have to realize the current calibrations from Ford have a lot of engine protection strategies built in. Posted Image

I had broungt up the fact that this truck isn't running the 11B23 calibration to my manager, due to the tuner. His take on it is that a recall is voluntary, the customer is not bound by law to have it done, therefore Ford should not be able to deny this due to a PCM calibration. I guess as long as the customer understands the risks, repairing these trucks should not be an issue. The last enhanced short block I put in under warranty, had a tuner with DPF delete. Before that I had to install a long block, 2 turbos and a DPF and CAT, stock truck, and it took 3 appeals to get it paid even after getting approval. Ford doesn't need to know everything. Just enough to get it paid.

Another update: Found the thermostat hyper-extended to the point that it fell apart and the radiator is leaking. I am now assuming that this is what took out the EGR cooler. Ford has asked for pictures of all failed components and the mods. I have a feeling our attempt to help out the customer has been foiled. Good thing this guy has agreed to pay if necessary. It gets the short block today and the fight with Ford continues.

Just received an email saying Ford will pay. Everyone's happy and we retain a customer.

Update: Came back from my christmas vacation only to find out someone else has denied the claim....go figure. At least I got paid for the job.....

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't let the clowns from Spartan do a tune on my lawnmower.

Their knowledge of making horsepower seemingly has become "FUEL AND AIR = POWER" after Mike left and started doing his own thing.

Found out why the claim was kicked. It was quoted to the connecting rod, not the failed EGR cooler. Resubmitted and went through. Anymore issues now are on the customer's dime.